Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,416
    With this delay, it also mean Robert Elswit can return for Bourne 5 after he and Renner are finished with Mi5. But Universal already should plan Bourne 6 for 2018. The Avengers 3 and Mission Impossible 6 possible we wil get in 2019.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @M_Balje, I don't think Universal should be planning a sixth Bourne film when they still have no progress made on 'Bourne 5,' nor do they even have a concrete release (as I won't be surprised if the newly announced date gets shifted, also.)
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32634/fifth-bourne-delayed-for-matt-damon

Fifth "Bourne" Delayed For Matt Damon? / Producer Frank Marshall tells Heat Vision the talk of Damon returning is not true.
    By Garth Franklin Friday June 20th 2014 09:47AM
    Fifth "Bourne" Delayed For Matt Damon?

The delaying of the fifth film in the "Bourne" series by nearly a year has led to much speculation about the reasoning behind it. Today, Latino Review has posted what they have been hearing about the matter.

Their source claims the delay is because Matt Damon is in fact coming back to play Jason Bourne again for the film's director Justin Lin. Damon has previously said in the past he had no intention of returning unless Paul Greengrass was the director and they had a good story they can crack because "I love that character and I'd love to see what happened to him".

The Jeremy Renner-led "The Bourne Legacy" under performed for Universal, its $113 million domestic tally only half that of Damon's third and final entry "The Bourne Ultimatum".

UPDATE:: Producer Frank Marshall tells Heat Vision the talk of Damon returning is not true.

[Director] Justin Lin is working with Andrew Baldwin on an Aaron Cross script/story that they pitched us a few months ago. I talk to Justin all the time and the script is not ready. It's a summer movie, and if we don't start pre-production now, we can't make next summer. Therefore, it's a wise decision to move to 2016."
    Maybe the Bourne franchise needs its Roger Moore.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm pretty sure the film being delayed for Matt Damon was a rumor. I don't believe it's true.
  • Well another rumor has arisen.
    Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon are close to finishing negotiations to return for Bourne 5!
    It will be released July 15, 2016 replacing the Justin Lin/Jeremy Renner film which has been pushed back but not cancelled. Thoughts?
    I am sceptical that even Damon and Greengrass can resurrect the series. It ran its course and should have been left at that. The first three are excellent but even by the third, although still entertaining, it was feeling a bit worn out. I could be wrong of course but I don't think It would be very good. Fifth sequels don't have a great rep, YOLT excepted!
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,416
    Well another rumor has arisen.
    Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon are close to finishing negotiations to return for Bourne 5!
    It will be released July 15, 2016 replacing the Justin Lin/Jeremy Renner film which has been pushed back but not cancelled. Thoughts?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33908/damon-greengrass-back-for-bourne-5\
    Damon, Greengrass Back For "Bourne 5"?

By Garth Franklin Monday September 15th 2014 06:59PM
    Damon, Greengrass Back For "Bourne 5"?
    Welcome back Jason Bourne?

Deadline is reporting that Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass are set to reunite and have begun making deals for a fifth film in Universal's Jason Bourne series.

At last report Greengrass said creatively there was no place else for the character to go, but it sounds like he's figured out a way to make it work that satisfies both him and the actor.

As a result, Universal is reportedly so keen on getting things moving they've given Greengrass the July 16th 2016 release slot they had previously assigned for the Justin Lin-directed follow-up to the Damon-less fourth film "The Bourne Legacy" starring Jeremy Renner.

That project remains in development and the studio apparently plans to continue development of it, but now has more breathing room to "broaden its franchise base" and so will go at a later date.

Months a go (see 21 June) producer denies it, but if true mabey it is because of Renner have a lot of other movies and mabey he confirmd to them he not be avaible for 2016.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://deadline.com/2014/09/universal-reuniting-matt-damon-paul-greengrass-for-another-jason-bourne-film-834821

That's the original article. So with two films planned, the crossover has to at some point happen.
  • Here's the story in Empire Magazine which says a 4th Jason Bourne film would be in place of the Aaron Cross story:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42171
    You would think they will do a cross over film at somepoint wouldn't you?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I saw this news earlier and thought to myself Hell no, that can't be true. I don't think it's going to happen, unless there's a great script and both Matt and Paul desire to join up again, things I am skeptical about actually happening.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Best thing for this series, from my fan perspective, would be to ditch Damon and Greengras completely, and continue with more Jason Bourne adventures with a new actor. Bourne is a great character. Richard Chamberlain was real good in the original TV mini-series, but
    Damon was awful IMO.
    New films could work with the continuity contained in the EVL continuation books.
    The 4th movie even used the title of the first EVL book for Legacy.
    There are at least nine EVL Bourne books I think. I've read all but the last two, which I have on order. There is lots of good material to work with in the new books.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,416
    The imdb page is updated with Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass and Renner is stil credit. Also Justin Lin stil credit as producer. New Dutch release date of this ReBourne movie is 14 July 2016. Let's hope Julia Stiles will be back too. Waiting another 3 years after this one is bad idea, so i hope Lin already work on Bourne 6 and soon Renner wil be avaible.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I will go see it with Damon. That makes it worth seeing for me. Glad this is moving
    Here is the Hollywood Reporter article:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bourne-producer-talks-matt-damons-733445forward.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33936/two-bourne-films-still-being-developed
    Two "Bourne" Films Still Being Developed

By Garth Franklin Wednesday September 17th 2014 03:53PM
    Two "Bourne" Films Still Being Developed

Earlier this week came the news that Universal Pictures is in talks to re-team Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass for a new Jason Bourne movie, their return to the series after a seven year absence.

It was said this film would take precedence over the second Jeremy Renner-led, Justin Lin-directed 'Bourne' film (following "The Bourne Legacy") which would be pushed back. The studio has yet to comment on the reports.

Now Frank Marshall, the producer of all the films in the series, tells THR that because no deals have been finalized they are still developing both simultaneously:

"We're on two tracks. And if this one [with Damon and Greengrass] comes together, great, but they're still just talking... [Bourne Legacy 2] movie is moving forward. It's still in development. We're working to get a script as soon as possible."

What's also unknown at this point is if Paul Greengrass will write the script for the next Bourne, though he and his longtime editor Christopher Rouse are said to have come up with a concept that would see Damon's return.

Yet the article also says the talk could be a ploy, a negotiating tactic to get Fox to green light "The Ballad of Richard Jewel" which Greengrass and Leonardo DiCaprio have been wanting to do and the studio has been waffling on.

In any case, those hoping for a Jason Bourne/Aaron Cross crossover are going to be disappointed as it sounds like they are being kept distinct.
  • I think they should scrap the Legacy sequel altogether. Does anyone really care about that?

Greengrass understands the character but I'm not really a fan of the way he directs. But since Damon won't come back without him I'd get him back in some capacity.

I reckon Bourne 5 should be written by Paul Greengrass, should star Matt Damon (or a new actor playing Bourne, but this time Bourne has to be in it) and should have Justin Lin directing.

The story should be something new. No more running from the CIA, no more super assassins (Treadstone, Blackbriar, whatever, it's all the same thing a the end of the day). If they want the series to continue they need to try something different. Have it set in a location unlike any of the others used in previous films (so no more Europe or America, maybe South Africa or somewhere), perhaps even base it on one of the continuation books.
    I always saw Grosse Point Blank with John Cusack as the final installment in the Jason Bourne quadrology. It works quite well in narrative terms.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 12,837
    It's happening

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124924

I'm excited, looking forward to a whole new story with Matt Damon as Jason Bourne. Why are they still making the Legacy sequel though?

Damon and Greengrass are coming back so what's the point? And Legacy didn't do that well anyway. I doubt a sequel will do well, especially if it's pushed back even further. Who's going to want to see a sequel to a disappointing film 5 or 6 years after the first one?

They've got Damon back, they've got Bourne back. So can they just admit that Legacy was a disappointing failure and forget about it?

The only thing the Legacy sequel has going for it is Justin Lin (if he's still directing). I'd rather he directed the next proper Bourne film than Greengrass tbh.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,416
    Possible there finaly a mixup of both with credit Aaron Cross his name. Justin Lin possible be very good in making connections, because of the three movies he made for Fast and Furious franchise. Let's hope there make this Bourne /Crossover for 2017. Not take to much time and 10 years after The Bourne Ultimatum.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well with the ensemble crossover vehicles that are incoming, I wouldnt be surprised if we get a Bourne/Cross crossover but the idea of Damon returning is too awesome to really care about Cross in the slightest.
    Well i guess we will see how this goes? I hope their is actually a crossover, although i am guessing i will be in a minority on this one?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well i guess we will see how this goes? I hope their is actually a crossover, although i am guessing i will be in a minority on this one?

I'm with you, for sure. There has been talk before from the current production team of doing a Crossover (see what I did there?) with Bourne and their current protagonist, which I wouldn't be unhappy about if it was done well. If they're bringing Bourne back and the old team is interested in doing a new one with Matt, the conflict has to be something substantial and the script worth getting behind, especially if they got Greengrass to sign on for it.

Because Bourne and Cross are very much rogue figures now, off the grid and with a grudge against the CIA and its experimental programs, the idea of them teaming up to take out a new threat isn't at all implausible. I think come 2016 we'll find Bourne in a state of comfort and decent enough security, but something will happen where his cover is either blown by those still hunting for him, or an event occurs that draws him out of hiding and into action. Either of those options could involve Cross directly: Cross could come looking for Bourne (after seeing him flashed on the news and his connections to the CIA programs of the past), or Bourne hears tell of an even more experimental agent conditioning program than Treadstone and Blackbriar put together (that Cross was signed up for), where drugs are enhancing the capabilities of those under the government's employ and decides to act.

While I still hate that Gilroy and co. made that stuff cannon (the "magic pills"), I admit that it would be cool to see an older Bourne taking on an enhanced enemy who has him outclassed in youth, strength and ability. We'll have to see as this film develops, and pray that it works out in the end. After the massive disappointment on a critical and financial level that i]Legacy[/i] experienced upon debut, the team need a big winner coming up.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm with you, for sure. There has been talk before from the current production team of doing a Crossover (see what I did there?) with Bourne and their current protagonist, which I wouldn't be unhappy about if it was done well. If they're bringing Bourne back and the old team is interested in doing a new one with Matt, the conflict has to be something substantial and the script worth getting behind, especially if they got Greengrass to sign on for it.

Because Bourne and Cross are very much rogue figures now, off the grid and with a grudge against the CIA and its experimental programs, the idea of them teaming up to take out a new threat isn't at all implausible. I think come 2016 we'll find Bourne in a state of comfort and decent enough security, but something will happen where his cover is either blown by those still hunting for him, or an event occurs that draws him out of hiding and into action. Either of those options could involve Cross directly: Cross could come looking for Bourne (after seeing him flashed on the news and his connections to the CIA programs of the past), or Bourne hears tell of an even more experimental agent conditioning program than Treadstone and Blackbriar put together (that Cross was signed up for), where drugs are enhancing the capabilities of those under the government's employ and decides to act.

While I still hate that Gilroy and co. made that stuff cannon (the "magic pills"), I admit that it would be cool to see an older Bourne taking on an enhanced enemy who has him outclassed in youth, strength and ability. We'll have to see as this film develops, and pray that it works out in the end. After the massive disappointment on a critical and financial level that i]Legacy[/i] experienced upon debut, the team need a big winner coming up.

Fully agree with all the above. It may well prove a turning point for the franchise also?
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37100/alicia-vikander-to-join-creed-next-bourne
    Alicia Vikander To Join "Creed," Next "Bourne"

By Garth Franklin Saturday May 23rd 2015 10:50AM
    Alicia Vikander To Join "Creed," Next "Bourne"

"Ex Machina" star Alicia Vikander continues to be one of the most in-demand actresses out there with the acclaimed Swedish actress now being linked to two major blockbusters in the works.

Deadline reports that Vikander is in talks for the likely female lead roles in both the upcoming return of Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon to the Jason Bourne franchise, and in "Macbeth" director Justin Kurzel's film adaptation of the popular Ubisoft video game series "Assassin's Creed".

The news comes as Vikander has been attached to the James Ponsoldt-directed, Tom Hanks-led "The Circle" which has been shopped around at Cannes. Because of the scheduling in relation to 'Bourne' and 'Creed', Vikander is likely to drop off "The Circle" with "Harry Potter" star Emma Watson already being courted to replace her.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37479/marshall-on-fifth-bourne-assassin-s-creed
    As for the next film in the Jason Bourne franchise, the one which sees the reunion of director Paul Greengrass and star Matt Damon, Marshall says they've taken their time on it to make sure it is done right:

"Working with Paul again and Matt [Damon] and getting the team back together is kind of a dream. We’re in pre-production, the script’s there, we’re going to start casting soon, we’re looking at locations, it’s all going very well... we have spent a long time on the script development and pre-production and that’s all going very well and we’re not gonna have a race to the finish line. It’s going to hopefully be a slow walk this time."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37481/stiles-set-mortensen-tipped-for-bourne-5
    Stiles Set, Mortensen Tipped For "Bourne 5"

By Garth Franklin Friday June 19th 2015 02:11PM
    Stiles Set, Mortensen Tipped For "Bourne 5"

The fifth "Bourne" film is casting up with Julia Stiles confirmed to be returning for the next chapter in the franchise reports Deadline.

Stiles, who will reprise her role as covert agent Nicky Parsons, marks the second confirmed casting for the film following the announced return of Matt Damon in the role of Jason Bourne and filmmaker Paul Greengrass behind the camera.

Stiles appeared in the first three films and became something of an ally to Bourne. No word as yet if one of the other key players in the franchise, Joan Allen, will be returning as well.

On the less confirmed side, The Wrap's Jeff Sneider reports that actor Viggo Mortensen is being eyed for the role of the villain in the piece. At the same time, "Ex Machina" star Alicia Vikander was reportedly up for a major role as of a few weeks ago.

Filming on the new Bourne is slated to begin later this year in London.

viggo_mortensen2.jpg

Mabey idea for Viggo Mortensen (Picture) comes from Oscar Isaac who together be seen in The Two Faces of January (2014) and Oscar Isaac was also seen in Bourne Legacy (2012).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is all very good news so far. I'm really looking forward to this film, and think it's going to kick some serious butt in 2016.

As far as the 2nd Bourne Legacy is concerned, they can flush that thing down the deepest toilet they find, along with Renner for all I care.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Viggo is one of the most underrated actors in the business. He'd be a phenomenal villain.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is all very good news so far. I'm really looking forward to this film, and think it's going to kick some serious butt in 2016.

As far as the 2nd Bourne Legacy is concerned, they can flush that thing down the deepest toilet they find, along with Renner for all I care.

Yup. And like in the old USSR: this one never existed.
    I liked the Bourne legacy I guess I am the only person on the planet