Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

The reviews are coming in and it doesn't look good:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_bourne_legacy/

The reviewers must be glad that those lunatics that love Battieboy do not concern themselves with other movies. :D

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I was never that keen on the last one, so this seems like a natural progression, in a way. I'll still watch it though, at some point.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I was never that keen on the last one, so this seems like a natural progression, in a way. I'll still watch it though, at some point.

Exactly the same way I feel, couldn't have put it better.
    Indeed, the reviews aren't looking too good so far. Variety says: "Fans will come, but they won't be happy, as if paying for a Bond movie and getting a 002 adventure in return."

The Hollywood Reporter also has this to say: "Cross, like Bourne, should be dangerous, and it’s not as if the character doesn’t get to take down a bunch of spooks and assassins anxious for a major notch in their belts. But Gilroy has cheated his leading man out of a good part by providing scant backstory, personality traits or motivation other than the most simplistic one of saving his own skin and that of his companion in rebellion against superiors who feel they need them erased."

And The Village Voice has this to say: "Gilroy keeps things brisk and relatively smart, but he can't be surprised if we find the rooftop-'n'-motorcycle chase through Manila a little rote by now, however white-knuckly and free of Greengrass camera palsy."

So lower your expectations seems to be the message here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The reviewers are so uneven, it is hard to get an overall opinion on it. But I will go in myself and interpret it. Though it looks good, I have a hard time not wishing it to fail so Hollywood sees that the trilogy was done when Ultimatum wrapped.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,333
    It's not doing too well with the British critics either. The Telegraph's Patrick Smith finds the new Bourne film The Bourne Legacy, overlong, overly complicated and veering towards parody and only gives it 2 stars. "Overlong, overly complicated and with one villain so hackneyed it veers towards parody, The Bourne Legacy lacks the intelligence of its predecessors."

• I'll still go and see it, and I hope it does well so we get a proper 4th film with Damon, but my expectations have dropped a bit after reading these reviews.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I heard that it's pretty slow, too. The action is few and far between. Oh well, I'm still excited.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think this was always going to happen, the previous trilogy were so well received and this was mostly because of Damon's and Greengrass' involvement ( although I personally prefer Liman's Identity). Continuing it with a different character was always going to be a tough sell after the success of Damon as it's star and these reviews seem to say this.

They seem to think Renner is fine but not as compelling a Damon, I never saw any of the others on the big screen so I won't be paying to see this, only one spy film will be getting my attention this year.
    Rotton Tomatoes says:

It isn't quite as compelling as the earlier trilogy, but The Bourne Legacy proves the franchise has stories left to tell -- and benefits from Jeremy Renner's magnetic work in the starring role.

Currently at 62%.
    Total Film has given it 3 stars: "Assured if not inspired, Legacy keeps the Bourne engine ticking over without reaching top gear. The action’s accomplished and Renner’s fine. Without Matt Damon, however, it feels like a placeholder."

The Rotten Tomatoes meter has crept up a little but sadly for the film the critics that are favouring it aren't the big hitters. This could be a DVD view for me.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Rotton Tomatoes says:

It isn't quite as compelling as the earlier trilogy, but The Bourne Legacy proves the franchise has stories left to tell -- and benefits from Jeremy Renner's magnetic work in the starring role.

Currently at 62%.

Not too bad then. I'm looking forward to it still.
    This is the most expensive of the four and could only do better than the first at the box office. Will be see another? Let's hope this is a big enough hit.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think the lack of Damon will hurt the box office takings. I hope there is another, because this doesn't seem like the highest note to end the franchise on. Ultimatum made tons of money, got 94% on rottentomatoes, and was a great film that gave the character a good send off with a good ending. I hope they didn't revive the series for nothing.

If this is the last one, then it'll be a shame for such a great series to end like this, because it doesn't exactly seem like a high note. I'm still looking forward to it but the reviews basically say what I thought it would be: Not a bad film, but not as good as the original films.
    Oh, dear, oh dear. Empire have given it only 2 stars!! "This sideways-sequel is so ham-fisted, so constipated with gravid exposition, you’ll be dashing home to weep hot, bitter, Damonless tears over your Bourne box set. We’re in a Bond movie and stuck with 006."
    http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137213
    With Damon and Renner and fifth may make more money but this is an expensive film ($125m) that may only take under $300m. That's a problem.

Rotton Tomatoes is now at 57% with 97 reviews. There should be up to 100 more, so we're only halfway.
    I really hope there are more films with Damon and Greengrass after this.

The Empire review worries me more than anything else, since they were fans of the other films, Ultimatum was their film of the year when it came out with 5 stars, and the other 2 films got 4 stars.
    All this means is there is only one spy film to take all the awards this year. Good news, I suppose! ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    All this means is there is only one spy film to take all the awards this year. Good news, I suppose! ;)

I don't know, Haywire was pretty awesome, and lets not forget Taken 2 (well, if you count it as a spy film), Bond can't let his guard down just yet ;)

This makes me sad. I'll still go and see it, and there's a good chance I'll enjoy it, but it looks like they've failed to match the other 3 films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As I said earlier, I was never that keen on the last one. It got lots of hype and everyone seemed to love it but to me, it just felt like a rehash of what had come before. Dare I say, I found it boring, bar the ending. I enjoy the first two and I'll hopeful I'll like this one too. As long as I can see what's going on. That's why I view Identity as the best so far.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 306
    I agree with you, Samuel, about the last one - no one seemed to notice it was an inferior remake of the second one, Supremacy, but it was clear to me at least they had already run out of gas. I like the first two and I think Supremacy is one of the greatest spy/action films ever made.
    That's exactly it! It was basically a remake, with the revelation tagged on at the end. This is why to me, this fourth effort is a natural progression and if another was made, I don't care who stars in it and/or directs it, I doubt it will be any better. This series' time has passed.

Some may view this as being harsh but it's how I see it.

The first two, yes, great, great films, minus the shakey camera work. Some think Greengrass is God, I think he's...just average.
    Identity is the best for me, Ultimatum a close 2nd, don't see how Ultimatum is a remake. Supremacy is the weakest one I think, it's still very good but I don't think it's as good as the other two.

@Samuel001 I'd put Greengrass above average. You just said Supremacy was a great, great film, isn't a director who can make such a good film above average?

I hope there's a 5th film with Damon and Greengrass, they could maybe actually follow one of the books again for the first time since the 1st film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondsum wrote:
    Oh, dear, oh dear. Empire have given it only 2 stars!! "This sideways-sequel is so ham-fisted, so constipated with gravid exposition, you’ll be dashing home to weep hot, bitter, Damonless tears over your Bourne box set. We’re in a Bond movie and stuck with 006."
    http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137213
    Of all the 00 numbers... Alec was cool.
    @Samuel001 I'd put Greengrass above average. You just said Supremacy was a great, great film, isn't a director who can make such a good film above average?.

Maybe above average. I should rewatch all of his films and see but he's nothing special, nor the God of the Bourne films some make him out to be. Liman I think had a better handle on things.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I like all three but Identity is the strongest for me, nothing in the next 2 films top that moment between Damon and Owen, a great sequence especially Owen questioning their profession before he expires, this one feels the most human, no. 2 and 3 have some exhilarating moments but seem a bit lacking in emotion.

I always thought Skyfall would steal it's thunder but didn't expect it's reception to be quite so underwhelming. If this fails at box office the studio will be doing their best to get Damon back for the 5th film.
    I did like that long scene on Victoria-station in London, it was really something in a spymovie that was the most thrilling I had seen in a long time. I believe that was in the 2nd Bourne movie, excellent cinema.
    WHile the 3rd Bourne movie was not better it still delivered far better actionscenes than QoB did, and they were far more original too.

However I will watch this movie due to my liking Mrs Daniel Craig and Renner who was a real star in The Hurt lockerm MI4 & the Avengers.
    Down, down, down, down, down...

Rotton Tomatoes is now at 51% with 118 reviews.

:-O

I'm shocked this is looking as average as it is.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Down, down, down, down, down...

Rotton Tomatoes is now at 51% with 118 reviews.

:-O

I'm shocked this is looking as average as it is.

It isn't often where my wish comes true. But, I will have to see for myself to truly confirm it. I like Jeremy and Tony, and think Ms. Craig is absolutely lovely, but this shouldn't have happened.
    If it doesn't take enough money at the box office, another won't be made. Only through this happening will these pointless reboots and sequels stop. The public have to put their foot down and if this film is really that bad, this is a great place to start.