Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Looks awesome! Can't wait. I'm a fan of the title.
    Really Jake to me it's lame it's like naming the next bond film James Bond

Oh god I hope EON doesn't do that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Holy crap!. Awesome. The car chase looks vintage Bourne, as do the fights. Less shaky cam too it appears. This moves quickly to the top two or three of my most awaited films for this year.

Not sure I like the title, but heck, just bring it on already.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames this 30 seconds trailer not only makes me hyped for the film, but now I want to rewatch the first 3 films right away.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @bondjames this 30 seconds trailer not only makes me hyped for the film, but now I want to rewatch the first 3 films right away.
    I feel the exact same.
    Me too @DaltonCraig007, but I'm going to try and hold off until a month before the release.

I have to say Matt looks great. Not sure if the trailer is a proper depiction of how the film is going to be shot (I know they have different takes and all for the final cut) but if it is, this is encouraging, because there definitely appears to be a more long range shooting style here. If they can combine the old frenetic shaky style with the long range shots I see in this trailer, they are going to have a winner come July, and will likely move the benchmark for this genre again.
    I hate to say it but the trailer has made me want to finally watch the Bourne trilogy I think I am going to get it last week of febuary. And I will check it out
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think Bourne may be climbing back to pole position in the spy stakes when this comes out. Quality-wise, anyway!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Man oh man does this look good. All the stuff we love, back again. Amazing fights, chases, intrigue. Matt looks absolutely beastly in this.
    It bothers me that there are TWO shirtless fist fight scenes during what look to be Bourne's time "in hiding." That's odd.

The rest looks fantastic.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyiiiiiiiiìiiiiiiiiiittt!

Bourne is back! Couldn't care less what the film is called as it looks frikkin awesome. EoN, do yourself a favour and be first in line to presumably see how it's done. That last shot of the trailer, that's how you make a statement.
    Trailer looks amazing. Great shots, action and color schemes.
    Yes, apparently less shaky cam, but that´s not surprising to anyone who watched Cpt Phillips.
    The title is neither good nor bad, but I don´t object the idea of departing from the novels. The second and third film anyhow had nothing to do whatsoever with the novels of the same titles.
    I love those fist fight shots. Even Tom Hardy wouldn´t have been more animalistic.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sorry to be a party pooper but I was rather underwhelmed.

I think it's largely the locations. I loved the first 3 which really harked back to classic Cold War days with locations such as Berlin, Moscow, Geneva (or was it Bern?) and filmed them really grittily and realistically but Vegas and some sort of Middle East country? Not doing it for me.

Also the topless bare knuckle boxing is hardly espionage. To be honest from this trailer if you digitally altered Matt's face to the Belgian in his prime this could be a generic Van Damme film.

I'm sure it'll probably turn out all right (and has to better than Legacy) but at the moment I'm really nowhere near as excited as everyone else seems to be and I thought I would be.

A
    PS - the title's bollocks. It's not really important what word you use but it has to be 'The Bourne something'.

This sounds like a reboot not a sequel.

• RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Sorry to be a party pooper but I was rather underwhelmed.

I think it's largely the locations. I loved the first 3 which really harked back to classic Cold War days with locations such as Berlin, Moscow, Geneva (or was it Bern?) and filmed them really grittily and realistically but Vegas and some sort of Middle East country? Not doing it for me.

Also the topless bare knuckle boxing is hardly espionage. To be honest from this trailer if you digitally altered Matt's face to the Belgian in his prime this could be a generic Van Damme film.

I'm sure it'll probably turn out all right (and has to better than Legacy) but at the moment I'm really nowhere near as excited as everyone else seems to be and I thought I would be.

A
    PS - the title's bollocks. It's not really important what word you use but it has to be 'The Bourne something'.

This sounds like a reboot not a sequel.

This. You're bang on re. locations.
    Man oh man does this look good. All the stuff we love, back again. Amazing fights, chases, intrigue. Matt looks absolutely beastly in this.

I was watching the others a couple of weeks back and I think he has never looked better than he does for this new installment.

Aside from the fact that it's only a 30 second spot that shows absolutely nothing about what the film is about - they have barely finished filming the thing so the likelihood is that we haven't seen any of the other locations yet.

Vegas and some sort of Middle Eastern country? Well, we had New York and Tangiers in Ultimatum and they were both great so it's not that far of a stretch is it?

I would be with you on the boxing if I knew the plot of the film and the bare knuckle stuff was there as recreation for Bourne in hiding, but I think it'll be tied directly into the plot somehow rather than used as "badass window dressing."
    on my fifth viewing of the trailer I still say this is good but the title bothers me.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    on my fifth viewing of the trailer I still say this is good but the title bothers me.

I think it looks great but I am finding the title a tad difficult to digest - especially considering how many they had to choose from. They could have even made one up themselves if they didn't want to use Van Lustbader's.
    The reason for the title is to ensure the general public (idiots that they can be as we all know) realize that this is a Damon Bourne film, and not that retconned BS that was The Bourne Legacy. It is an attempt to reset expectations to the higher level of the original.

Regarding locations, yes, there is a slightly more glitzy feel to the Vegas location, but I'm all for it as of now, because what is interesting for me is that this film appears to combine traditional Bourne grittiness with a slightly larger scale. In that respect, at least from this short trailer, it reminds me a little of MI-RN, which for me, is the benchmark film in this genre from the past few years. I don't want them repeating themselves, and I think they know the world has moved on.

Damon has never let me down. He is one of the most consistent guys in the business, and he only joined this project when he knew he could do it justice. He knows Cruise has upped the stakes in this sector, and he will do what it takes to match or beat it this year. Unless I hear anything about slashing wrists in the next few months, I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until July.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    My faith is on autopilot when it comes to Damon/Greengrass and Bourne. The film will deliver.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Its an interesting reflection of the two series that I have so much more confidence in the current Bourne team to deliver a great movie than I did for the Spectre team. Greengrass just "gets it" and I am not convinced that Mendes did/does.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Greengrass is a director that has never disappointed me yet - 'Bloody Sunday' was fantastic, 'Bourne Supremacy' and 'Bourne Ultimatum' are amongst my favorite action movies, 'United 93' was extremely intense when I saw it at the cinema, 'Green Zone' was very cool, and 'Captain Philips' knocked my pants down when I saw it on the big screen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My big complaint with the title is how obviously it seems to scream 'origin story,' which was exactly what 'The Bourne Identity' was. We don't need more 'digging into the past to find out what made this man,' just a straight-out sequel with him kicking ass. I will admit that the movie does look a little more 'polished' in terms of losing the gritty Cold War feel the previous trilogy had, but the action looks pretty spot-on and I hope it delivers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, calling the film "Jason Bourne" is weird, considering that now, post-Ultimatum, our hero knows he is really David Webb. I think the format of "The Bourne ______" should have been kept, if only because the title we've got doesn't really make sense after Bourne realized he wasn't Bourne and then disappeared.
    It seems that 'Jason Bourne' and SP already have a glaring similarity with one another: awful, awful poster design. ;)
    @Creasy47, I'm not sure which poster you're referring to, but if it's the black and white one ("You Know His Name"), I love it. Damon's look is intense. Not all that original, but it's closer to what they've done before (which normally just includes a body or face shot of Bourne). I almost expect Chris Cornell to start singing ;)

<a href=http://flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/jason-bourne-poster-600x950.jpg target="_blank"> click here to see the new Jason Bourne poster</a>
    Exactly: it's not original. It mirrors a relatively current James Bond theme song (which isn't a good thing) and lacks any sort of imagination. They should've just used this, since it seems to be the same uninspired poster:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwNTQ0ODExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjU3NDQwOA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
    It's a fair point. I hope they have the balls to take this in new directions and reset the goalpost for the genre, as they did in the early 00's. I have faith. The last thing I want is 'predictable' from this franchise.

Poster isn't all that great, but I never saw it as being all that important for Bourne, like I do for Bond. Bourne for me has been all about the visceral experience in the theatre. Make you feel like you've been punched in the gut when you walk out of there.
    Same, which is why as much as I hate that the overall feel of the previous trilogy seems to be gone, I do trust that they'll take it in a new direction and put a unique sort of spin on it, however that might be.

The poster isn't as important as the finished product is, but still, this is something that is widely shared online and will be outside all major cinemas at some point by July, so you want to make something original and eye-catching. If I didn't know any better, I'd honestly assume it was another 'Taken' sequel.