"Thats Just Too Much!" - which 007 flick do you think is the silliest?

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Plenty to choose from : Blofeld in drag in DAF,Bond in space in MR,invisible cars in DAD,submarine swallowing supertankers in TSWLM,midgets and flying cars in TMWTGG,spacecraft swallowing rockets in YOLT etc etc.

Which one appeals to you ? Or maybe you hate the film because of it.

Speak to us,Bondites !!

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would vote for MR, simply because the jokes became a little too outrageous, especially involving poor old Jaws. The series had become so self-mocking that the reply (FYEO) allowed us all to let our combined breath out.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 503
    I'm going with DAF, MR, AVTAK and DAD.

Mostly, AVTAK is a serious film, but it seems Roger aged about 10 years between 1983 and 1985 and it shows a lot in that film. It's silly to watch what looks like an 80-year-old in fight scenes and chasing after bad guys.

I think poor old Roger was featured in that film less than his stunt man was. The titles should have read "Roger Moore's stunt man as Ian Fleming's James Bond. :-D
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 107
    The second act of The Man With The Golden Gun, featuring surrealistic sets (even in the absence of Scaramanga's fun house!), ridiculous double-breasted jackets, JW Pepper, and entire set pieces borne out of character incompetence (it's not even confined to Goodnight!), is certainly the series at it's most absurd. Even the space-based shenanigans of You Only Live Twice and Moonraker can't compete with it. I find it difficult to despise though (well, the second act, anyway; there are other parts of the film that are difficult not to despise), precisely because of it's silliness. It's not fun, mind you; it's just so weird that hating it would be like hating a dream you had.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Die Another Day..... (( insert any scene in the film here ))
    Quoting haserot:
    Die Another Day..... (( insert any scene in the film here ))
    Ha, thats pretty dead on - although I do think that SOME scenes in the film redeem it. But in terms of "silliness" you can't get much worse than the CGI glacier.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Yep, the CGI surfing scene even looked bad in 2002. The worse scene of the series in my opinion.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    DAD has maybe one or two scenes that are okay..... but those small bars of iron pyrite don't make up for the crap tons of poop in the rest of the film...

like how Zao was getting his face changed, and if you look closely at the picture of who he is to become, he looks like the kid from the first Final Destination movie..
    Photobucket
    there should a version of this game, but just for Bond fans....

• No contest, Octopussy wins hands down! Bond "disquises" himself as a crocodile, a gorilla and a clown.
    As a young kid at the height of the GoldenEye N64 game popularity, 1997 marked the beginning of Bond for me- I went out and rented all the movies and the first was Moonraker (I didn't know any better, lol)
    I was 14 and watched it with my Dad and distinctly remember the part when Jaws met that young blonde girl and the sappy love music started playing; I looked over at my dad like 'what the hell am I watching' and he was asleep!
    It's a good thing I dismissed the whole movie as a fluke and continued watching the other films or I would not have ended up the Bond fan I am now!

BTW I've since come to appreciate Moonraker for what it is :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have trouble dealing with the silliness in AVTAK, TMWTGG, DAD and YOLT. I guess TMWTGG wins the battle for me. The film feels like a comic book experience, a poor one at that, where there's a lot more going on that I don't like compared to what I do like. Midgets, sumo wrestlers attacking Bond, a half sunken ship with M aboard, Pepper, Goodnight... Even DAD offers me more conceits that I'm willing to indulge than TMWTGG.
    I have a hard time relating to threads like these.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting Bartleby: I have a hard time relating to threads like these.
    THen why do you visit them?
    @DarthDimi Because they are intriguing. I want to understand why people have opinions that are different from mine.
    While DAD has plenty of moments, MR really takes the cake. Jaws flapping his arms and landing in a circus net, double taking pigeon, boat/hovercraft, Bond in space etc.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 1,092
    DAD, DAF, MR, sure, very silly. OP is silly but comes off much more fun than the others mentioned. It is the picture perfect example of how to do a more lighthearted take on Bond. Whereas DAD is silly for all the wrong reasons.
  • DAD for sure. TWINE is the stupidest though, which places it lower down on the list.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited March 2011 Posts: 987
    Quoting jaguar007:
    While DAD has plenty of moments, MR really takes the cake.
    Jaws flapping his arms and landing in a circus net, double taking pigeon,
    boat/hovercraft, Bond in space etc.
    I completley agree, this film ramps the sillyness quota to maximum, I'm just surprised they didn't throw JW Pepper into the mix as well!
    Yeah, I think the 70s gets off way too easy. Just because DAD is a modern film it gets more criticism for being outlandish. MR is far more ridiculous.
  • As silly as Moonraker's silliest moments are the whole thing sits upon a solid rock of Bondian awesomeness brought to us by the likes of John Barry, Ken Adam, Bernard Lee, Lewis Gilbert, Roger Moore, Michael Lonsdale, Derek Meddings and others (not to mention a number of beautiful women not wearing bras). Because of this one is easily able to overlook the silliness and enjoy the movie. DAD, while probably not scoring quite as high on the silliness Richter scale proper, unfortunately has so little going for it overall that its silliness can't be ignored as easily and more-or-less undermines the whole integrity of the movie. Sometimes less is more haha.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Got to put MR in first place for this one. As much I agree with GL here, it's just gone to far.
    Jaws returning was ruined by making him a joke. A once formidable villain has to turn good. For some unknown reason?
    DAF comes a close second, with DAD taking the bronze thanks to the gene therapy face changing and invisible cars.
    QoS. Elvis is the silliest! Greene is quite silly as well. Greene and Medrano musing about tennis shoe manufacturing is quite silly. A very silly film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Silly film = total enjoyement for me. Thus why DAF, TMWTGG and MR are quite high in my ranking.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Methinks DAD is by the silliest effort. The final fisticuffs between Bond and Graves cross over into genuine B-movie straight-to-video/DVD territory. And, well, there's everything else that comes before it too, let's be honest.

MR is indeed, in many ways, very silly, yet has its conceivable and engaging espionage moments and extrememly high production values (as well as high doses of fun) that make it more than all right in my book... :)
    Quoting St_George: MR is indeed, in many ways, very silly, yet has its conceivable and engaging espionage moments and extrememly high production values (as well as high doses of fun) that make it more than all right in my book... :-)
    I still stand that MR is sillier than DAD, but the difference is that MR was meant to be silly and played for intentional laughs. Much of the silliness in DAD was unintentional.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting jaguar007:
    I still stand that MR is sillier than DAD, but the difference is that MR was meant to be silly and played for intentional laughs. Much of the silliness in DAD was unintentional.
    Yup, a very fair point that, but it doesn't necessarily mean that DAD comes off as any less silly than MR... ;)
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    I can accept silly if it's meant to be silly - even if it goes a bit far, it's still just silly. But when something takes itself seriously and ends up being silly, it disappoints - and that's when it's gone TOO far, beyond acceptable. So Moonraker is silly, very silly... but Die Another Day goes too far.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2011 Posts: 2,629
    MR is silly only when they're in space. DAF and DAD from start to finish are the silliest of the silly.
    Quoting Kerim: MR is silly only when they're in space.
    Jaws flapping his arms and landing in a circus tent, the boat that turns into a hovercraft, double taking pigeon, Jaws surviving the crash and meeting Dolly, the ambulance fight where the guy on the stretcher ends up in the billboard's mouth, The boat chase where the steering wheel comes off and Jaws goes over the waterfall. Right, none of that was silly.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    All of that which you have mentioned could have concievably happened.

Marines fighting Drax's army with jet packs and laser guns in space was beyond the limits of tolerable absurdity.