Can the '007 Theme' return?

Comments

Here's a blatant 'copy' of Barry's original theme used for a game (I think) in 1995.

But it's still slightly different. Barry's is better.

• It has a jaunty, militaristic, complacent feel to it that sounds out of place. That could work if you recontextualise it, use it for the villain's music as they take out the good guys so it sounds horribly out of place, goading you.

Beats by Dope Demand did an album - with a mock-up of the Connery jet pack poster on the cover - that borrowed a bit of the bass for a track called Timber, which also borrowed from the Space tune in DAF. Brilliant track.
  • RC7RC7
    Beats by Dope Demand did an album - with a mock-up of the Connery jet pack poster on the cover - that borrowed a bit of the bass for a track called Timber, which also borrowed from the Space tune in DAF. Brilliant track.

It's called '007 and counting'. It's my all time favourite Bond track. It's just immense.
  • I personally would love to see Newman try to work it into Bond 24. I feel like it could be used in a pre-title sequence before the movies theme music is introduced, but somehow no matter how desperately I'd like it to come back, it probably won't be heard again in an action scene because it is simply too old fashioned. However, I could see it revived for a tranquil travel scene, perhaps either while he's driving a boat or when he's gone skying?
  • I would love to see it's return for Bond 24!
    Everything else has so why not? :D
  • I personally would love to see Newman try to work it into Bond 24.

I'd rather see Arnold try to work it into Bond 24.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited February 2014 Posts: 858
    As posted in another topic:

And another idea of a kind of scene where it could work:

As usual, I do apologize again for the rough cut as I do not have anything apart from windows movie maker which is a "vesper" to work with.

[EDIT] apparently, @RogueAgent and me had the same idea ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    That's really cool indeed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,803
    I doubt very much that it will ever return sadly, as we've not heard it in a James Bond film since Moonraker in 1979 (and DAF in 1971 before that) and it seemed to perfectly fit the more epic Bond films of an earlier age that we have now passed away from in the current Craig era. That said, I personally would very much love it to return in a future Bond film, though there might be copyright issues wirth the late John Barry's Estate that would of course need to be ironed out first, and there would need to be a suitable place to insert it in the film, so that it was not just a sort of artificial retro box-ticking exercise (I'm thinking the notorious DAD here specifically).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Not even a Barry fanboy like David Arnold would bring back the 007 theme in his five film run. When Craig's era began, I was really hoping with the reboot that Arnold would bring back that theme, and still held out hope for it to happen with QOS. Sadly, it's just gonna aspect of the Bond films that have been left behind long ago. Even with SPECTRE's return to cinema, I thought it would be nice to return it, but seriously doubted it ever happening. It'll forever remain in the 60s and 70s.

Barry did re-record it in 1995 for the compilation album Moviola II: Action and Adventure. Who knows, if were available to do GOLDENEYE maybe he would have been interested in bringing the 007 theme back signaling the return of Bond in cinemas after a hiatus. Or maybe he wouldn't have, we'll never know.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The 007 theme is nice but I doubt it fits the newer films.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think it could have fit in SPECTRE somewhere, probably the street chase in Rome and the snow plane sequence in Austria. It's a much lighter film than most of the films have been since '95, especially in Craig's run.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The version used in Thunderball for the fight on the Disco Volante is probably the most darker version as it's louder and frantic it also has a bit more melody than that standard version's. I may attempt a cover of it sometime.

Was a little disappointed that it did not feature in the latest film.
    To me, it fits in with a big majestic set piece with loads of extras (on both sides), something that we have yet to see in the modern era.
    I think it could. :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    you forget Murdock - they (meaning the directors) don't like to use the Bond theme anymore ;) .... and to think people used to bitch about Arnold "using the theme as a krutch." - well with 4 straight films where it's barely heard (i guess the only way a Bond theme gets into a movie nowadays, is either during the gun barrel, some 'wink 'wink moment to the audience (like DB5 in SF), or the very end of the movie)......... i understand, from a thematic standpoint why it wasn't in CR or QOS... but absolutely no excuse for it not to be prominent in either SF or SP... a damn shame.
    Yeah it's a shame. I think Barry used it way more than Arnold did (Which isn't a bad thing at all). I loved when the Bond theme would blast it's way during awesome set pieces and quiet somber Bond detective moments. Now we're lucky if we get it at all like you said during the Gunbarrel or homage moments. It's sad when the fans have to fix Bond music. :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The 'Bond' theme is so 'fanboi'...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yeah it's a shame. I think Barry used it way more than Arnold did (Which isn't a bad thing at all). I loved when the Bond theme would blast it's way during awesome set pieces and quiet somber Bond detective moments. Now we're lucky if we get it at all like you said during the Gunbarrel or homage moments. It's sad when the fans have to fix Bond music. :))

it's been 15 years since we had the Bond theme used to highlight an action set piece in one of the movies..... thats sacrilegious
    HASEROT wrote: »

it's been 15 years since we had the Bond theme used to highlight an action set piece in one of the movies..... thats sacrilegious
    Yes the last major Bond theme heavy action scene I can think of is the Cavier Factory scene from TWINE and the second half of the Hovercraft chase from DAD and both used the Bond theme to perfection.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817
    I want the 007 theme to come back but unfortunately there are two things hindering its return.

1. Modern audiences might not react well to its general old-fashioned sound.
    2. It is difficult to see where it might fit in. I couldn't see a point in SP where it would fit well. The escape sequence maybe, I don't know.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Obviously that version of the song creates the wrong mood, or I associate it with another film, but man if the score of Spectre had been better it would be so much more watchable and definitely a lot higher in my ranking
  • w2bond wrote: »

Obviously that version of the song creates the wrong mood, or I associate it with another film, but man if the score of Spectre had been better it would be so much more watchable and definitely a lot higher in my ranking

Whoever composes next (because it better not be Newman, given how lazy his SP score was) must pledge to use the Bond theme to the same extent as Barry and Arnold or else bugger off.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I have to say that neither work in this clip.

Obviously with some fine tuning the Bond theme would work well but I can't say the same about 007 which I've really been that keen on. The TB version is the best but that has a whole crazy extra section which we never have in any other version.

Personally I think the OHMSS theme we got in the SP trailer was by far the best piece of music we got for the film and reckon that should've been used for the plane chase.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    edited March 2016 Posts: 127
    I totally disagree with @TheWizardOfIce, as I think that the "007 Theme" would fit in very well with SP's lighter tone. For me the re-score above works quite well. Arnold could have tailored it. I do miss the man...

Too bad he never composed an updated version for his "Shaken and Stirred" project. Are there updated versions out there anywhere on the FaceTube?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    We don't even get the Bond theme so how on earth would this even be entertained as a thought by the "brilliant" minds over at EoN.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's a rights issue. They couldn’t use it of they wanted to.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I totally disagree with @TheWizardOfIce, as I think that the "007 Theme" would fit in very well with SP's lighter tone. For me the re-score above works quite well.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

SP is lighter by DC standards but it's not a Roger film. This piece of music just does not work I'm afraid. In the clip above at the climax of the sequence as Dan grits his teeth and the plane smashes through the chalet we get an accompanying piece of music that sounds more apt for a piece on Countryfile about sailing a canal boat in the Cotswolds.