X-Men (2000 - 20)

Comments

QBranch wrote:
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed the film. I might actually catch it on the big screen. I only just saw The Wolverine the other night, and thought it was a slight improvement on the first. I quite liked First Class. @Master_Dahark; @CommanderRoss- Did you find this new film more enjoyable than the first?
    My favorite is actually X2, followed by Days of Future Past.
    First Class & X-Men are pretty neck and neck after that.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,896
    QBranch wrote:
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed the film. I might actually catch it on the big screen. I only just saw The Wolverine the other night, and thought it was a slight improvement on the first. I quite liked First Class. @Master_Dahark; @CommanderRoss- Did you find this new film more enjoyable than the first?
    First Class & X-Men are pretty neck and neck after that.
    That's good enough for me. X2 was great. I'm a big fan of the
    time travel
    concept, so I'm pretty certain I'll love this new film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,530
    QBranch wrote:
    First Class & X-Men are pretty neck and neck after that

That's exactly where I'm at! I want to see DOFP again this week, if only for the sheer thrills of Mystique's action beats, and she has a few remarkable ones. My favourite moment though,
    is when "old" Magneto and Storm battle the Sentinels in the future. My heart stopped beating for a moment and I went into pure geek mode. Saliva must have been dripping from my mind!

Another triumph is Ottman's great score. I already loved his music for X2 and I think he has matured as a composer since then. But then I've always been a fan of his.
    I was out of town this weekend so I didn't get to see the film until last night. And boy was it worth the wait. While I loved Cap 2, this is for me not only the best comic book film since The Dark Knight, but the best summer blockbuster in recent years. I hope to do a more in depth review after a 2nd viewing but this film just worked for me on every level. No matter what Bryan a Singer is going through right now, they'd be fools not to bring him back for the next film
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't seen a lot of them for a long time, but I remember loving X2 and 'First Class,' and I thought 'X-Men' was pretty good. I recall hating 'The Last Stand,' and I also loved 'The Wolverine.' Man, with this film getting so many great reviews, I might have to catch up on those and get out of the house to go see this at some point instead of waiting for it to hit Redbox.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Those who have seen Days of Future Past will get this, lol
    3K4fbkQezg
    That's not a spoiler is it?
    That's not a spoiler is it?

Yes it is. Read it the other day, unfortunately.

@Master_Dahark, you're going to want to hide that.
    @Willy, you're not thinking 4th dimensionally ;)

I'm guessing it means
    the act of time traveling in the new film alters the events of The Last Stand.
    Great Scott!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Sorry about that guys- I thought it wasn't spoiling anything too specific. I fixed it!

079143-blue-retro-rusted-grunge-icon-business-thumbs-up2.png
    QBranch wrote:

I'm guessing it means
    Great Scott!
    Exactly!
    Hey, at least what it means is a very, very, very good thing! I hear it's handled quite well, too.
    @Creasy47, it even manages to make X-Men Origins make a little sense! :D
    What a great movie!
    Exactly!
    Cool! I'm really not disappointed to know that, as I said earlier I'm rather fascinated by the whole concept. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :-bd
    QBranch wrote:

I'm guessing it means
    Great Scott!

Yes I gathered that but I was just trying be subtle with my question. ;-)
    You? Subtle? Now I've heard it all! ;)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Watched it last night. And apart from Nolan's TDK trilogy, this is (IMHO) one of the oustatnding comic adaptions for the big screen. The cast is stellar - Stewart, McKellen, Jackman, Fassbender, McAvoy, Lawrence (even *cough* Halle Berry). Worth the money, a very enjoybale night at the movies.
    QBranch wrote:
    You? Subtle? Now I've heard it all! ;)

I can do subtle. It's just that no one's asked me to before. :D
    I knew the answer before it was given. Strangely enough, somehow... so did you 8-X
    I have a confession. The deck was stacked in my favour.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And not spoling anything, but: Wait for the end credits and don't leave the theatre before they are finished. I did not... Silly me...
    Great advice, DK. I'll try to remember to stay til the end.
    QBranch wrote:
    Great advice, DK. I'll try to remember to stay til the end.

If only to pick up all the spilt popcorn on the floor. :P
    If only to pick up all the spilt popcorn on the floor. :P
    Yep, if I spill my drink, you can bet I'll get down there with a straw. Have you seen those prices? Nothing goes to waste!
    So how about Bryan Singer doing the Bond reboot after Craig's tenure, amybe with Fassbender as Bond?
    Do not watch if you have not seen the film....spoilers duh.

Saw it today. Great movie all around. Lots of great moments, both on the superpowers side (one word : Quicksilver. Made me laugh out loud, and I was not the only one) and character wise as well (Jennifer Lawrence sure is great). Two things from a french point of view : for once, the presence of Citroën DS in the streets of Paris was justified, given the time period (nowadays, you're more likely to meet an Aston Martin than a DS in France, outside of car collectors shows, but curiously, they're in every movie and TV series set in France ; it's like seeing Ford Ts every time the action takes place in New York). And second, much has been made here of the presence of Omar Sy. So of course, people have been disappointed that he received some three minutes of screen time, and only one or two lines. But then, so did Halley Berry and Fan Binbing.

Anyway, a great movie all around, second only to the Avengers. Funny how, like in the sixties, Marvel manage to do almost everything right while its Distinguished Competition doesn't (where, for example, is that Wonder Woman movie ?)
    Bill Finger is punishing DC...the creative gods are going all medieval on DC's arse.

Bill Finger created Gotham and the Batman we love...got no credit, money or thanks. DC are complete jokers.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    If I understand correctly the result of DOFP alters all previous X Men film-continuity but for the only film that preceded it chronologically, which was X-Men: First Class. We the audience are just like Wolverine. We need a history lesson to bring us from 1973 to the present 2014, where Jean is alive and all is well at the Prof X school.
    Where might Magneto be in this new 2014?....and was it just me, or did Anna Paquin get no screen-time but for the very end, when she is seen walking about the halls of the school?
    But..... was that actually 2014 that Logan returned to, or some future year coincident with the war they were fighting, until the time-travel fixed things?
    Very much enjoyed this film. I think we've had 4 very excellent genre films this year so far; Cap 2, AS2, Godzilla and this excellent X-Men addition.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,459
    Since most of you seemed to love it - and since a deal like this rarely happens - www.foxconnect.com has it on sale (shipped) for $15.59 on blu-ray if you use the coupon code APOLOGY. Seems like a good deal since it'll be $5-10 everywhere else once it's released.

http://www.foxconnect.com/x-men-days-of-future-past.html
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I watched it on Monday and although I don't think it's a bad film, I didn't like it much. My biggest complaint is that I don't think it really fits with the rest of the films, like it took place within an alternative universe!? It had great moments but it lacked punch and consistency in my opinion.