Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Seems like Buttons is back again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Ya think?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837

Ya think?

I'm getting tired of flagging him now. Might just call it a night. It's 1 in the morning here anyway.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Thank God i've didn't see anything.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hey would anybody be interested in being in a live chatzy group chat for just us MI6 members? :)
    Horror of Dracula 55th anniversary
    King Kong 80th anniversary
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden

A beautiful anthem on a hot sunny summer day, June 6th, National Day of Sweden! :)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694

A beautiful anthem on a hot sunny summer day, June 6th, National Day of Sweden! :)

Wow, hard to believe it has been a year already since the last celebration! Enjoy yourself, mate! :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Right, so Disco is getting utterly drunk again. Have fun old boy! If you by any chance know where the Swedish ssemble in Amsterdam let me know. I'll just go there with the purest intentions!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Something I read in a bookshop today and thought that I would include here as it seems relevant on a forum on the Internet:

"Technology and media are not uniting the world. They pretend to provide a world that is inter-netted; but in reality, all they deliver is a simulated world of shadows. Accordingly they make our human world more anonymous and lonely."

--ANAM CARA

Can we discuss this please as I think that there's something in this, really. For all those who are burnt out by the online world, such as myself.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Something I read in a bookshop today and thought that I would include here as it seems relevant on a forum on the Internet:

"Technology and media are not uniting the world. They pretend to provide a world that is inter-netted; but in reality, all they deliver is a simulated world of shadows. Accordingly they make our human world more anonymous and lonely."

--ANAM CARA

Can we discuss this please as I think that there's something in this, really. For all those who are burnt out by the online world, such as myself.
    Absolutely; I agree. Technology makes us more lazy and decreases our intellectual capabilities. One of the many reasons I wish I was born 70 years ago.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2013 Posts: 1,347
    If you by any chance know where the Swedish ssemble in Amsterdam let me know. I'll just go there with the purest intentions!
    Hehe I'm afraid I don't know. Yes of course you would ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Dragonpol wrote:

--ANAM CARA

Absolutely; I agree. Technology makes us more lazy and decreases our intellectual capabilities. One of the many reasons I wish I was born 70 years ago.

This is a good topic to discuss. I wish I had more time now.
    I'll just say that I think the world's communication processes and the way it is used (mainly thinking of internet at the moment, but regular newspapers and magazines as well) has been having a negative, and I feel deadening, effect on people, our world. And it has been perhaps rather subtle over the past 10 years, but gathering impact. By that I mean, there is so much being spewed out for all to read and discuss - anonymously often - and genuinely research news stories are becoming as rare as fossils - and that does chip away at our human spirit, doesn't it? People can post anything. Our ears and eyes are flooded daily, bombarded really, almost no matter where we go. It is deadening, deceptive, and ugly. There is so much crap, false information, and less than good intentions (to put it mildly) truly flooding our brains ... more and more every day. It is pervasive and depressing at times.

I'll write more later. I'll ask you this: What can you do, or want to do, to keep yourself from being overly saturated with all the b.s. and crap and waste and falsity that is poured into our senses? Is this uniting? Is it a shadow world and alienating? I am really interested in how others feel about this and what they are doing to help themselves. So, thanks to all who respond, even briefly.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,787
    Dragonpol wrote:

--ANAM CARA

This is a good topic to discuss. I wish I had more time now.
    I'll just say that I think the world's communication processes and the way it is used (mainly thinking of internet at the moment, but regular newspapers and magazines as well) has been having a negative, and I feel deadening, effect on people, our world. And it has been perhaps rather subtle over the past 10 years, but gathering impact. By that I mean, there is so much being spewed out for all to read and discuss - anonymously often - and genuinely research news stories are becoming as rare as fossils - and that does chip away at our human spirit, doesn't it? People can post anything. Our ears and eyes are flooded daily, bombarded really, almost no matter where we go. It is deadening, deceptive, and ugly. There is so much crap, false information, and less than good intentions (to put it mildly) truly flooding our brains ... more and more every day. It is pervasive and depressing at times.

I'll write more later. I'll ask you this: What can you do, or want to do, to keep yourself from being overly saturated with all the b.s. and crap and waste and falsity that is poured into our senses? Is this uniting? Is it a shadow world and alienating? I am really interested in how others feel about this and what they are doing to help themselves. So, thanks to all who respond, even briefly.

Well, wow, @4EverBonded! Thanks so much for that. I seem to have struck a nerve here with posting my little jotted down quote! Just as I had intended. I'll mull over your questions and response and get back to you again with a deeper response, my dear.

10 yrs since Trevor Goddard died......

MK has several similarities with Enter Dragon :

Liu Kang = Lee
    Shang Tsung = Han
    Kano = O'Harra
    Goro = Bolo
    Tania = Kitana
    Art Lean = Williams

-both have tournaments on an island
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    One thing that hasn't changed though is we still waste 3-4 hours a day in front of the TV, just like people did 40 years ago. Maybe now it's TV on web, but it's still TV. But with the big screens, the plunk on the couch for hours is still commonplace.
    I fight the tech by not using a smart phone. The web though I do find invaluable, but I am happy to only be connected when I am home or at work.
    That way I disconnect, when out and about, however I will lug around a kindle because on-line books and on-line newspaper subscriptions are very practical, not to mention more up-to-date, more convenient and cheaper then actual daily newsprint offerings.
    No smart-phone is only temporary though. My work doesn't require me to have one rightnow, but that's not likely to last. For now I just pretend I have one. Messages go to voice-mail and people don't know it's a land-line.
    Good thinking, @timmer. :) I actually don't have a tv connection and get my news solely from the internet - I stick to BBC and only sometimes CNN. I do watch dvd movies to relax on the weekends, but not weekdays. I love NOT having my cell phone on. It is not a smart phone, just a regular one. I have it for safety and practical reasons. I must say it has been very soothing and helpful to me to have rid myself of regular tv and phone. My friends know to try email first unless an emergency.

I am also surrounded in an environment where people speak a language I do not know. That is really de-stressing, too. Those things all help.
    Good thinking, @timmer. :) I actually don't have a tv connection and get my news solely from the internet - I stick to BBC and only sometimes CNN. I do watch dvd movies to relax on the weekends, but not weekdays. I love NOT having my cell phone on. It is not a smart phone, just a regular one. I have it for safety and practical reasons. I must say it has been very soothing and helpful to me to have rid myself of regular tv and phone. My friends know to try email first unless an emergency.

I am also surrounded in an environment where people speak a language I do not know. That is really de-stressing, too. Those things all help.

Very interesting. May I ask which country you are in @4EverBonded. PM me if you don't wish to reveal it here. Stick with the BBC. I only have a practical phone too, which I rarely use. It seems we have much in common then. I've kind of stopped watching TV too.
    Some folks here know I am in Japan. I don't speak Japanese much, just expressions. But I am going to try to learn basic conversational Japanese now that I will have some real time to do so soon. I was so overloaded, stressed, and burnt out when I came here in 2009; I had left working at a breakneck pace, 3 jobs just to try to make ends meet, cell phone required to be on 24 hours a day, and went through various additional life stresses (car totaled, no money for a car, no car insurance, etc. - a good deal of etc., actually) ... I feel like I pretty much saved my sanity and life coming here to teach again. My nerves had been strung so tight, nearly continuously, for years. Not now, thank God. This is my second stint as an English teacher in Japan, and it will be for the long haul this time.

Now I have pared down to one job I love: teaching. I have a lovely home; I live with two friends in an old Japanese house halfway up a nice hill, overlooking the Seto Inland Sea in the distance. I am slowly saving money. I start an even better job July 1st, in my town here (have been commuting 1 hour one way, for nearly 2 years now). So my stress has lessened greatly and that does boost my health.

I had a Canadian co-worker, here one year, who had traveled all over Europe and Asia and she mentioned to me one day, "It's so relaxing being in a place where you don't speak the language." And I smiled. I got that; some people really don't understand it. But either it can frustrates you or it relaxes you.

So yes, I read BBC and the internet for news. But even with that, it is easy to read very grim and depressing stories and headlines. However, it is way better than having far too much information thrown at me over airwaves or my surroundings on a daily basis. I find that I take everything with a nice big grain of salt these days, info I read about; it has become more and more like wading through a swamp of crap. I follow one blog and have a few favorite websites to enjoy, but this Bond site is my only forum.

I think most people have to be more connected than I am. But disconnecting from the mainstream constant overload of communication, much of it ugly or false, has really helped me.

I am interested in what you, and other members here, do to help yourselves, regarding overloading of your senses and all the junk that passes for "news" these days.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    This might seem odd, but is there someone here from San Diego or Los Angeles?
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Well then lets comment here I'm not from Hull.
    Surely, we have California members - just not sure if they are awake to comment right now.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    True @4EverBonded, I posted hoping one of them could find the comment later ;)
    I would love to get rid of my TV connection, but I still need it for big screen sports. I watch a lot of live hockey, baseball and football, otherwise all the tv shows and news stuff can be accessed via web.
    You can still enjoy big screen sports and try to not watch the commercials or other junk. I love sports, too; so I understand you wanting to keep that.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    You can still enjoy big screen sports and try to not watch the commercials or other junk. I love sports, too; so I understand you wanting to keep that.
    Right, because us sports fans still need the TV connection to get the live broadcasts.
    I guess I could subscribe to MLB.com and NHL. com and NFL.com and IndyCar.com, but all the subscriptions would probably cost way more than the monthly cable-bill.
    I think us sportsfans are stuck with our cable bills.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Don't kill me, but I like technology.

I like the internet. I can get news from it, I can check the football scores, I can catch up on TV on it, I can talk to my fellow <a href="http://mi6community.com/">Bond fans</a> and <a href="http://www.drumchat.com/home.php">drummers</a>, as well as tons of other stuff.

I like my mobile. It's much easier to keep in touch with people than before and I can play poker on it now too.

I also like TV. Granted much of it is awful nowadays but there are still tons of shows I enjoy and there's always sport (mainly football and boxing) if nothing else.

I agree that we get lots of crap as a result of these mediums and that it makes people lazy, but I just ignore the crap and don't allow myself to get lazy (I stay in shape and make sure I don't rely on technology too much).
    If you can ignore the crap, that's great. I just think it's hard to do - we are inundated with so much crap, negative or false or misleading or meanspirited words masquerading often as news ... but if you can really filter that out, that's good.

I agree that technology can be, and is, extremely useful. And staying in shape, not being locked into just sitting at a screen, is of course really important to all around (including mental) health. So it sounds like you've got your own way of dealing with all of this.
    50 yrs since Pedro Armendariz died today , respect.......
    RIP Tony Soprano aka Gandolfini , 51......