Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    X(
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I didn't really like the new Gorillaz, or what I heard so far. Shame because they had become a bit of a voice to the millennial generation, like RHCP. I guess every band goes downhill eventually. Will listen to some more, but this is a bit of a disappointment.
    Many bands eventually go downhill, but there are several who did not.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Some bands started at downhill and kept on rolling.

Yes, they quit whilst their ahead.
    Didn't disappoint me at all. They are always changing their sound and style, so nothing sounds odd or bad about their new music to me. Oh well; there always seems to be a split between fans with these things.
  • Super stoked for new Gorillaz! I've been a fan since 2001 and have been tracking news of this latest album for years now. Finally it's here.

With each new album, Gorillaz have redefined their sound and their image (and by "they" of course I mean Albarn and Hewlett). "Demon Days" has by far been their crowning achievement, a massive evolution from 2001's comparably quaint and elementary "Gorillaz." "Plastic Beach" was another step in a new direction, channeling the high-seas and welcoming aboard many, many more artist collaborations while retaining the original Gorillaz sound and keeping with the lamentation for "O Green World" theme that cropped up in "Demon Days." "Plastic Beach" disappointed initially—I still don't care for some of the more aesthetically challenged, rap-heavy tracks, like Snoop Dogg's—but it still has a lot to offer: "Superfast Jellyfish," "Empire Ants," Some Kind of Nature," "Melancholy Hill." Likewise, "The Fall" was a rather scattered in-betweener effort, banged out by Albarn on the quick while touring. The overall quality reflects the amount of time that went in, and "The Fall" wisely was not promoted as "THE NEW GORILLAZ ALBUM" but rather something to fill the time until the next one. All that said, "Revolving Doors" stands with the very best of "Demon Days" or any of Gorillaz' other albums. And along the way, one-offs like "Hong Kong" have only further cemented their status as the leading animated musicians still working within the zombie hip hop dark pop lo-fi thriller sub-genre today.

Do I like the four songs they debuted today? Frankly, I do not. But I understand Albarn is going for a completely new vibe, a whole new aesthetic, and that this latest effort will be its own unique concept and evolution in the Gorillaz sound: a "party, club" album for dark times. I'm greatly looking forward to experiencing the album as a whole and hopefully discovering some new Gorillaz gems along the way. (The first single off "Plastic Beach," "Stylo," wasn't my favorite track off that album either.)

Of particular note for Bond fans, Grace Jones is featured on one of the songs here and Carly Simon appears in a track on the deluxe album. Coincidence? Cue Rogerian eyebrow lift...
    When I was younger, I hated Authority in all its forms. Then I got older and wiser, and learned to adapt, thinking I was a foolish idealist in my younger days.

Now I am older and wiser still, and realise that I was right all along. Screw " authority". Stop interfering with other people, goddamn nazis.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,087
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    When I was younger, I hated Authority in all its forms. Then I got older and wiser, and learned to adapt, thinking I was a foolish idealist in my younger days.

Now I am older and wiser still, and realise that I was right all along. Screw " authority". Stop interfering with other people, goddamn nazis.
    Authority is overrated. Felt that way when younger and feel that way now. It's normally a bunch of old s#!+s dictating based on their jaded views of the world, and normally with self serving interests that they don't even realize they are bringing to their decisions. If you want pure honesty and to cut to the chase, ask a kid to give you an answer to a vexing moral dilemma. They'll normally be right most times.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Young kids are often beautiful that way. They haven't been taught prejudice yet by a hateful world, and so they offer surprisingly powerful remarks on complicated issues that they think about from the standpoint that we're all equal. It's a shame that maturity makes us forget so much of what we knew to be true as kids, but what is life but a weight to the heel?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Young kids are often beautiful that way. They haven't been taught prejudice yet by a hateful world, and so they offer surprisingly powerful remarks on complicated issues that they think about from the standpoint that we're all equal. It's a shame that maturity makes us forget so much of what we knew to be true as kids, but what is life but a weight to the heel?
    Yes, it's a wonderful thing to see. I notice it with my nephews and niece all the time. They offer up surprisingly insightful comments when overhearing us adults talking (about things we didn't realize they were listening to most often).

There's a scene like that in The International. When faced with a conundrum, the villain asks his son (who he is playing chess with at the time) for an answer.

"Cassian, what does one do when there's no way out of a situation?" he asks
    "If there's no way out......the best thing is to find a way further in." his son replys.

A great quote from the same film, delivered charismatically by the always superb Armin Mueller-Stahl (who should have been in a Bond film):
    "Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Delete.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,053
    I've removed my question as I have just noticed the 'James Bond Questions' thread and have asked it there instead.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Well, our move went well on the day. The first few days though have been a massive clear up and clear out job of stuff left behind. Lots to do, but will all come in time now we are in the house. The house is a lot bigger than we first thought which is good, meaning we are not on top of each other etc. All is good.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    @peter let's keep the hockey talk going on here. You may have a shot to win both games considering that both Pittsburgh and Columbus are locked into their seeds and have nothing to play for.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ur right, guys needing rest, not going full out, putting in their back up goalies; why risk any unnecessary injuries???
    We only have to win one game in regulation!
    The Leafs can never do anything the easy way!
    In the end, they weren't supposed to make the playoffs this year, @Last_Rat; this is the second year of the rebuild, so this season has already been all gravy.
    The kids on the team (seven rookies) accelerated at a pace no one predicted.
    Gotta think big picture!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Well you can only hope that this is only the beginning. You guys are ahead of the game now. Even if hypothetically they get bounced in the first round that they can use it as a stepping stone and not regress like Florida did this season.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    With the amount of youth, everything at this point is about learning and getting better; the core should be around for a good five to seven years (they're close to signing one of our rookie Ds to a seven year contract);

By the way, how is Reimer doing as goalie?
    Inconsistent at best. He's a good backup but he struggles alot being a starter especially since Luongo has been out for awhile
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's what we experienced in t-dot; he's a good young man, great personality; shows flashes of top skill, but seems to be unsustainable
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @peter, will they clinch a spot if they win their next two, or are there other outliers required for them to make it (such as a specific team losing/winning/etc.)?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They just have to win one of their final two and they clinch the last playoff wildcard
  • peterpeter Toronto
    But if they lose both, and TB wins their final two, TB will squeak past us by one point
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,468
    Just realized they're playing the Pens tomorrow - I'll unconsciously root for you, since there's zero reason the Pens NEED another win like the Leafs do. Blue Jackets have been incredibly lackluster heading into the playoffs, so perhaps that's Toronto's time to shine if they lose tomorrow; plus, wouldn't mind seeing the Blue Jackets have a sad losing streak before going off to the first round.
    As always - go Blackhawks. For those that don't know, I always root for Chicago and Baltimore sports teams.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Not a fan of Torts, @Creasy??

And thanks for the support-- the entire city will be on edge!!
    peter wrote: »

I think Torts makes for a great coach, don't get me wrong, but I have to develop a bit of friendly hatred for the Blue Jackets since they're the first team that stands between my boys and the Stanley Cup for the second year in a row. They're definitely playing well this season, that can't be denied!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    peter wrote: »

Well I'm a fan of torts.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree with both of you; his hard ass temperament has mellowed a bit, and he's got his squad firing on most nights

@creasy and @dragonpol: who are your teams?