OHMSS Lazenby's Original Voice

edited January 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 26
One thing that ALWAYS annoys me about OHMSS was having George Bakers voice loop over Lazenby's when he was portraying Sir Hillary Bray.

Has it ever been discovered if the original Lazenby recordings were ever kept?

I'd much prefer to see OHMSSS with his voice.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It bother's me too. But there are so many other Lazenby-related things that bother me in that film... if they had to use someone else's voice I guess his own didn't really work. But I'm curious and I bet they have the recordings.
  • Yeah that always annoyed me aswell.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    it's kind of sad in a way... it's his only Bond film, and half the film wasn't even his voice lol.
  • He should have been dubbed by Arthur Mullard
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    HASEROT wrote:
    it's kind of sad in a way... it's his only Bond film, and half the film wasn't even his voice lol.

In fairness it was only half an hour of OHMSS but it was a fairly "talky" half hour. He's with Irma Bunt, The Angels of Death and Blofeld - all key scenes in the film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i know.. i was exaggerating lol.... time wise it wasn't a lot - but like you said, those were some heavy dialog driven scenes - in which he did more talking than the rest of the film (at least it feels like it, lol)
    It really doesn't bother me at all. He's undercover. I like the moment when Blofeld tells Bond that he knows who he is, and then we hear Lazenby say "It'll take more the cutting off your earlobes to turn you into a Count."
    I love the "oh snap!" look on Laz's face when Erma Bunt sits up in Ruby's bed... don't know why, but it always makes me laugh...

one of my favorite lines in the movie, is delivered by Blofeld... when Bond says "Well if you put it that way.".. Blofeld cooly responds with "I do put it like that." ... it's just the way he says it, and in the scene, you can tell that he pretty much has Bond figured out - but is just playing along to eventually set him up in a trap.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 940
    HASEROT wrote:
    I love the "oh snap!" look on Laz's face when Erma Bunt sits up in Ruby's bed... don't know why, but it always makes me laugh...

Funny scene. And the first shot and noise of Ruby when Bond walks in her room is taken so seperately to Erma Bunt then being in there!

He got a similar surprise when he ran into that polar bear with the camera at the Winter market! Poor old Lazza.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    slyfox wrote:
    It really doesn't bother me at all. He's undercover. I like the moment when Blofeld tells Bond that he knows who he is, and then we hear Lazenby say "It'll take more the cutting off your earlobes to turn you into a Count."

My thoughts exactly...its part of the secret agent routine.
    slyfox wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Funny scene. And the first shot and noise of Ruby when Bond walks in her room is taken so seperately to Erma Bunt then being in there!

He got a similar surprise when he ran into that polar bear with the camera at the Winter market! Poor old Lazza.

imagine if the Polar Bear was in that bed.... i just might have had a heart attack lol.
  • lol @ the Polar Bear--- Lazenby sure did manage to squeeze some great faces into his only Bond film!

I sure wish he wasn't dubbed. It's pretty cheesy and totally unnecessary when you think about it. I mean really-- yes, Bond is impersonating a real guy named Sir Hilary Brey (real as in, not a fake name) but not Blofeld, nor any other person in Piz Gloria had ever talked to him. Lazenby's best impression would have sufficed I think. Based on interviews also, Lazenby was under the impression that it would have been his own voice!
    And you're right- it sucks that a good chunk of his only movie doesn't even use his actual voice!
  • I wonder if any fan could dub the script with a different voice - I wonder if someone has already done that? Would have loved a really camp voice - Larry Grayson - would be epic.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    One thing that ALWAYS annoys me about OHMSS was having George Bakers voice loop over Lazenby's when he was portraying Sir Hillary Bray.

Has it ever been discovered if the original Lazenby recordings were ever kept?

I'd much prefer to see OHMSSS with his voice.

Agreed. I think he should redub his "Sir Hilary Bray" scenes and they could make that audio track available as an option on a future DVD/Blu-Ray release of OHMSS.

Similarily, I love during the shootout at Piz Gloria when his voice changes to George Baker's and after shooting a guard we hear him say, "guns make me nervous!"
    CrzChris4 wrote:
    Similarily, I love during the shootout at Piz Gloria when his voice changes to George Baker's and after shooting a guard we hear him say, "guns make me nervous!"

And his mouth doesn't even move!!
    It was probably a last minute addition. Either way, how it's said is hilarious. I love that double-take Lazenby does when that scientist throws that jar-thing at those glass doors. Hmmh, now I really wanna go watch this.
    HASEROT wrote:
    slyfox wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

imagine if the Polar Bear was in that bed.... i just might have had a heart attack lol.

:))

You won't.They've just passed some new laws there.
    Polar-Bear-Costume-Arrested-02.jpg
    CrzChris4 wrote:
    I love that double-take Lazenby does when that scientist throws that jar-thing at those glass doors. Hmmh, now I really wanna go watch this.

Great bit! I really love the set and colours in that scene too.
    i don't know - that bear looks pretty shifty to me... i bet he broke out 2 days later, and is stalking for fresh beds to hide in and scare people.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,882
    I wonder if any fan could dub the script with a different voice - I wonder if someone has already done that? Would have loved a really camp voice - Larry Grayson - would be epic.

*Bond lifts up the bed sheet to find Bunt* "Oohh look at the muck in here, shut that door." ;)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I agree, it was kinda trifling to do that. Lazenby didn't know until he saw the film that he had been dubbed. It think it kinda bothered him too.
    Anyway, you notice the mistake when he was talking to Bray/Baker and when Lazenby says, "Tactfully adjusted to favor me," this was dubbed in Baker's voice and I don't know why they did it here. Why would Bond imitate Bray while in his office, for that matter why would he feel the need to imitate Bray's voice at all??

The whole dubbing was probably another way of giving Lazenby the "finger".

We all know how trifling and petty film people can be...
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    Anyway, you notice the mistake when he was talking to Bray/Baker and when Lazenby says, "Tactfully adjusted to favor me," this was dubbed in Baker's voice and I don't know why they did it here. Why would Bond imitate Bray while in his office, for that matter why would he feel the need to imitate Bray's voice at all?

It wasn't a mistake, it was done here to set up the voice and prepare the audience for Bond's transformation to Bray.
    Ugh, Sir Hilary's voice is terribly annoying! It sounds like he's had a bad case of sinus congestion for years! Even though I'm not fond of Lazenby or OHMSS, I find it a great relief when Bond wakes up and starts speaking with Blofeld, because finally Lazenby's voice comes back.
  • I'd prefer Lazenby's real voice but the dubbing never really bothered me. Tons of voices were dubbed in the 60's Bond movies, including some of the most iconic Bond girls and villains. It's just something I got used to.
    yeah? As i got older and saw the film more? I started to wander why they did that even though you do get used to it.
    jackdagger wrote:
    I'd prefer Lazenby's real voice but the dubbing never really bothered me. Tons of voices were dubbed in the 60's Bond movies, including some of the most iconic Bond girls and villains. It's just something I got used to.

Have you watched the 1964 trailer for Goldfinger? When the laser table scene comes along, the real Gert Frobe actually speaks the line, "Choose your next whiticism carefully, Mr. Bond, it may be your last." It's so creepy to hear his actual voice!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Have you watched the 1964 trailer for Goldfinger? When the laser table scene comes along, the real Gert Frobe actually speaks the line, "Choose your next whiticism carefully, Mr. Bond, it may be your last." It's so creepy to hear his actual voice!

No! I will definitely have to check that out.

jackdagger wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

No! I will definitely have to check that out.

It's pretty awesome! What DVD of GF do you have? I found the trailer on my Special 007 Edition, so if you have that one, then I know for sure it's on there.
  • I don't have it on DVD (yet, I really have to get on that) but I found it on Youtube. XD

Goldfinger sounds way more sinister with his natural voice...
    jackdagger wrote:
    I don't have it on DVD (yet, I really have to get on that) but I found it on Youtube. XD

Goldfinger sounds way more sinister with his natural voice...

Indeed! A shame that they couldn't use Frobe's real voice, for whatever reasons.