James Bond as as replacement '00' : Missions Bond took over.

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Off hand OP springs to mind,this was 009's mission originally to track the Octopussy circus and Bond was only called in to replace him upon his demise.

I can think of a few more but,for the sake of discussion,i will throw this out to you.

Can you name any more missions Bond took over,either at the start or during a film ?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    The Man With The Golden Gun from 002 I believe is also on the list.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Maybe TWINE, as Bond retrieved the report that got another agent killed. Can't think of much else though.

In a way there's LALD, as Bond chases Kananga/Mr. Big, whom some of the other agents were more or less checking out too.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited March 2011 Posts: 987
    DarthDimi is right, in Live And Let Die Bond by investigating the deaths of British agents Dawes, Baines and Hamilton does in effect take over their mission to investigate Dr Kananga.

Also in For Your Eyes Only Bond takes over Sir Timothy Havelock's mission to retrieve the missing ATAC system after his assassination by Cuban hitman Hector Gonzales.
    A View to a Kill was originally 003's mission, but he turned up dead in Siberia, as we figure out in the pre-title sequence, when Bond finds his body buried under the snow with the microchip in the locket around his neck. If I'm correct, I believe M gives us some background in the scene following the title sequence, saying that 003 was investigating the microchip stockpile in the Soviet Union and ran into Zorin Industries, or something along those lines.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Samuel001 wrote:
    <i>The Man With The Golden Gun</i> from 002 I believe is also on the list.

Though that was some years earlier, in 1969 I believe.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Could you slightly consider the PTS of SF? I mean, the other agents had the sole mission of protecting the hard drive (from what I can assume), and even though Bond was on location at the time, he picks up by going after it to retrieve it. Again, not sure if you would count that or not.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Could you slightly consider the PTS of SF? I mean, the other agents had the sole mission of protecting the hard drive (from what I can assume), and even though Bond was on location at the time, he picks up by going after it to retrieve it. Again, not sure if you would count that or not.

Slightly off topic here, and perhaps I should add this to the James Bond Questions Thread, but what even became of the hard drive? As far as I remember, the whole hard drive plot vanished halfway through SkyFall and was never really completed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was already on youtube(may have been removed by Google by now), so nothing to do about that.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    This may be a stretch, but Bond did take over going to the Bahamas for someone else in TB.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,879
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Maybe TWINE, as Bond retrieved the report that got another agent killed. Can't think of much else though.
    In the TWINE novelization the agent is 0012, according to Wikipedia:

Although unmentioned on screen, (Raymond) Benson's The World Is Not Enough novelisation has Bond investigating 0012's death at story's start (seen in a photograph of a dark-haired man, in the film).

In the Gameboy game James Bond 007, MI6 had sent 008 to Turkey to dismantle an arms smuggling ring, but he went MIA. Bond finds 008 imprisoned, rescues him, then takes over the rest of his mission.

On a similar topic, missions that Bond nearly lost to another 00:

GF

M: "It's an assignment, like any other. And if you can't treat it as such, coldly and objectively, 008 can replace you."

TLD

M: "I'll recall 008 from Hong Kong. He can do it. He doesn't know Pushkin."

Funnily, 008 is M's choice of replacement in both films. I wonder if the mention of 008 in TLD was an intentional reference to GF.
    Let's not forget DN: yes, Bond is investigating the murder of agents, but by doing so he is also continuing their investigation about Dr. No.
    QBranch wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    In the TWINE novelization the agent is 0012, according to Wikipedia:

Although unmentioned on screen, (Raymond) Benson's The World Is Not Enough novelisation has Bond investigating 0012's death at story's start (seen in a photograph of a dark-haired man, in the film).

In the Gameboy game James Bond 007, MI6 had sent 008 to Turkey to dismantle an arms smuggling ring, but he went MIA. Bond finds 008 imprisoned, rescues him, then takes over the rest of his mission.

On a similar topic, missions that Bond nearly lost to another 00:

GF

M: "It's an assignment, like any other. And if you can't treat it as such, coldly and objectively, 008 can replace you."

TLD

M: "I'll recall 008 from Hong Kong. He can do it. He doesn't know Pushkin."

Funnily, 008 is M's choice of replacement in both films. I wonder if the mention of 008 in TLD was an intentional reference to GF.

In the novels, 008 is maybe the most developed of the 00 agents after Bond: he has a first name, Bill, and his described by Bond as "more careful", which I think explains why he is a lesser agent than 007: Bond takes risks that pay off.
    002 was Bill Fairbanks as well,so thats two 'Bill's' if you include 008.
    The video game everything or nothing also had bond retracing a fellow agents footsteps
    I would note that in many cases when Bond takes over a mission it is not from a 00. In fact, sending a 00 seems to be a last resort, when a situation is highly volatile.