Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Cruise normally doesn't make mistakes. Given Cavill's less than stellar track record, I'm surprised he went with him.

Maybe he's going to be Ethan's successor & maybe Tom will finally make a man out of Henry. We've been waiting for years for him to step up out of the shadow and live up to his promise.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Rob Hardy (Ex Machina, The Invisible Woman, Blitz) is confirmd as cinematopgrapher.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1134771/
    Cavill is certainly getting around! Fair play to him I say.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Rob Hardy (Ex Machina, The Invisible Woman, Blitz) is confirmd as cinematopgrapher.

Cruise and McQuarrie again showing prescient vision. Ex Machina is a beautifully filmed entry.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If they can make 6 as good as 3 - 5, then I will be very pleased.
  • There are a couple of levels of irony here.

--Cruise was negotiating for UNCLE, but exited the project in spring 2013. That left the role of Solo open for Cavill.

--Paramount moved Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation from Christmas 2015 to late July 2015. That helped clobber UNCLE, which came out two weeks later.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Earlier I pondered the possibility of Cavill being a villain; that would be a nice change of pace for him and a Cavil/Cruise fight could be pretty cool.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    There are a couple of levels of irony here.

--Cruise was negotiating for UNCLE, but exited the project in spring 2013. That left the role of Solo open for Cavill.

--Paramount moved Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation from Christmas 2015 to late July 2015. That helped clobber UNCLE, which came out two weeks later.
    So Cruise indirectly gave him a franchise opportunity which he then personally destroyed? The irony indeed. I guess this is some sort of requital.
    What does Cavill have that I can't see?

I spy some Mission 6 locations: https://www.instagram.com/rdhardy/
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7; that was my first and only thought: Cavill is the villain, whether he is at first thought to be a good guy, but is traitor, or the outright baddie; it makes sense for the actor to add to his repertoire; he needs to show another side of himself, and doing so in an M:I film would be quite the showcase
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anyone who's seen the DC films knows that Cavill's Superman has been written to be quite the arse, so I'd actually like him to play a character who doesn't look miserable and constipated all the time. The fact that he hasn't been given that chance, and he's playing the ultimate symbol of justice and good will, shows you how bad that series of films are doing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

' What Tom is doing in this movie I believe will top anything that’s come before. It is absolutely unbelievable—he’s been training for a year. It is going to be, I believe, the most impressive and unbelievable thing that Tom Cruise has done in a movie, and he has been working on it since right after Rogue Nation came out. It’s gonna be mind-blowing.”'

http://collider.com/mission-impossible-6-stunt-tom-cruise/
    Cruise has earned my trust @DaltonCraig007. Whatever he ends up doing, I'm sure it will be fantastic, even if it doesn't top the awesome Burj Khalifa sequence (they were correct to let the story drive where they put that sequence). Reading that article gives me a lot of confidence. He's absolutely right that the audience can tell when there's bloody green screen, and I hope our friends at EON catch onto that as well for B25. McQuarrie will deliver, of that I have no doubt.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

' What Tom is doing in this movie I believe will top anything that’s come before. It is absolutely unbelievable—he’s been training for a year. It is going to be, I believe, the most impressive and unbelievable thing that Tom Cruise has done in a movie, and he has been working on it since right after Rogue Nation came out. It’s gonna be mind-blowing.”'

I wonder if this is in reference to the cut action sequence that was supposed to be mind-blowing in a previous film?
    Tom Cruise is a legend deserves respect for his dedication, he understands the importance of practical stunts creating the wow factor for audiences. Again I plead with Paramount release a IMAX version of Ghost Protocol on Bluray [-O<
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I wonder if this is in reference to the cut action sequence that was supposed to be mind-blowing in a previous film?

That would be the glass bridge stunt, but when they last described it, it doesn't sound like something that would require over a year of training to pull off - unless, of course, they tweaked it to make it even more grand and complicated. Time will tell.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've introduced mini Benny to the Mission Impossible franchise. He enjoyed number 1, and I was quite amazed at how well it stands. Some of the tech is obviously dated. But on the whole it's an enjoyable entry. The train climax looks better than some of the stuff we get today. Number 2 kind of went down like...number 2!
    Not quite as bad as I recall, but still the weakest entry for me. My son didn't enjoy it at all.
    So we're on MI:3 right now. Before it started he asked what is the signature stunt in this one. I don't think there is really. It's not my favourite, but the third one has better characters. Love PSH as Davian.

I'm interested to see what the 'big stunt' in MI:6 will be. If they can top the plane stunt from RN then I'll be truly amazed. Should we as Bond fans be worried when the MI films are recognised for their big stunts. This is something the Bond series was known for. Certainly from TSWLM onwards. Up to around TWINE possibly. No we have action scenes, but no signature stunt per se. MI have a wow factor. Kudos to them.
    @Benny, MI3 is very much a collection of smaller moments, and not one big one.

I think Bond films can still be recognized for stunts, but I don't think as big a deal is being made about them because the industry has changed and other people are known for stunts when back in the day Bond was a huge pioneer. CR still has the amazing crane jump and the award-winning Aston flip, QoS has the rope fight and crazy car racing, SF has the fight on top of the speeding train and train tunnel collapse, and SP has the helicopter flip and plane chase. The stunts are still there, but Bond's not one of the lone wolfs out there known for it anymore, so the franchise has got to share that style with others.

The danger you have with planning these stunts is making it too obvious that you're building a story around moments, and I think both Bond and MI have done a good job of avoiding that. I concede that one of the first things I think of when hearing about a new MI is, "I wonder what stunts there will be this time." With Bond I don't immediately go there, because I'm more invested in things beyond any action. I ponder how Bond will evolve, what threat the villain will have, the kinds of suits and colors Bond will wear, etc. I think MI is just far more known for those stunts, and at times there's nothing else for them to fall back on. I was happy to see, however, that from 3 on Ethan began to feel like a true character again alongside the stunts, even if he still doesn't feel as resonant as I'd like. I look forward to seeing how McQuarrie plans to give him this inner life in 6.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-han-solo-mi-6-key-role-casting/
    Sian Brooke, who played the main antagonist across the recent fourth season of “Sherlock,” has scored a key role in the next installment in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise.

Sian Brooke (English/1980) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1604939/
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-han-solo-mi-6-key-role-casting/
    Sian Brooke, who played the main antagonist across the recent fourth season of “Sherlock,” has scored a key role in the next installment in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise.

Sian Brooke (English/1980) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1604939/

Interesting Sian for the most part played a convincing De Palma type sociopath in Sherlock, my guess is she will play a villain in MI: 6

http://www.darkhorizons.com/sixth-mission-sets-cast-but-loses-renner/
    Sixth “Mission” Sets Cast But Loses Renner
    By Garth Franklin Tuesday, March 28th 2017 11:45 pm

As part of Paramount’s CinemaCon presentation this week in Las Vegas, the studio offered some new details about Christopher McQuarrie’s “Mission: Impossible 6” with the main cast of the film now locked.

Joining Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt are Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa Faust, Ving Rhames as Luther Stickell, Simon Pegg as Benji Dunn, Alec Baldwin as Alan Hunley and suprisingly Sean Harris returning as ‘Rogue Nation’ villain Solomon Lane who was last seen being taken into IMF custody. They’re joined by new to the franchise cast members Henry Cavill, Sian Brooke and Vanessa Kirby.

One notable absentee from the group is Jeremy Renner as William Brandt. No reason was given for why Renner will not be involved, but his commitments throughout much of 2016 to the back-to-back “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers 4” shoot likely played a big part.

Shooting will take place in London, Paris, India and New Zealand. They will also shoot in IMAX 3D. Slated to begin production shortly, “Mission: Impossible 6” hits cinemas on July 27th 2018.

Source: CB
    Great to have Luther back again, but it's a shame to lose Renner's Brandt. Given his more supporting position at IMF, I'm sure they can write him out of the action convincingly.
    I'm generally not a fan of Renner, but they have used him well in MI. Cruise knows how to pull the team together nicely. I'm confident that Baldwin will be able to hold the fort in his absence.

Glad to see Sean Harris's nasally voiced Solomon Lane back and I'm also very impressed by all the new additions (including Cavill, because I think this is the film where he finally lives up to his promise).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cavill being said to be playing "the right hand man to the head of Cruise's unit" is something I imagine given to William Brandt, but since Renner I'm guessing is unavailable due to commitments to a nine-month shooting of Avengers: Infinity War, his dialogues are given to Cavill, I'm sure.

That said, I don't want Renner to be put out of the franchise for good. His absence can be treated lightly so that enables his return in the future installments. I quite love Brandt as a character and I was hoping once Cruise retires, he takes the team over, a la Hunt did with Phelps' switch and Phelps did with Dan Briggs.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I like Renner but I don't think he has the "it" factor to take over the franchise once Cruise exits.
    It appears as though Cruise is building the team which will succeed him. While Cavill is generally a block of wood and can't hold a film on his own, I think he can function well as part of a greater team. The same goes for Renner. I think this is the direction they will go in post-Cruise, and so an A grade headliner is less necessary.

Let's be honest. There's really no one person who can succeed Cruise. He is one of the greats. A remnant from the 'star' 80's.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    With the right director, every actor gets his potential shown. Neither Cavill nor Renner are blocks of wood when the right director comes along to guide their movements. Just compare Cavill's performance as Superman to his performance in U.N.C.L.E., and the latter shows a side that perfectly fits him. Renner is like that, too. And dare I say, even Christoph Waltz. You love him in Tarantino's films, but in Spectre, he falls flat.
    While it's true that any actor can shine with the right director and environment, true greats can transcend that. This is when they become highly paid actors and headliners, as opposed to secondary actors. That is when they can carry a film.

I found Cavill to be completely forgettable both as Superman and as Solo. I realize others may disagree. Good looks can only take you so far. He makes Brosnan look like a character actor.

Renner has proven to be better when there is acting 'meat on the table', and somewhat forgettable in generic action fare which he has had to headline. He does play well with the MI team though, who are all impressive actors in their own right.