Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, @fire_and_ice, thanks for sharing that!

This is part of why I'm so excited to see McQuarrie doing another MI film. I completely agree with everything he's said, and how Ethan can be far too much of a man of action than a true character in his own right, which is the struggle Bond has had before. We get nice flashes of who he is, as in 3 and some of 4, but on the whole he is kept a mystery, along with his history and inner life. I'm excited to hear that the idea for 6 is too peel back who we think we know him as to give us a chance to discover him more beyond the stunts and action.

I also like McQuarrie's tease that we're due to see familiar faces from the past. Now I'm going back in my mind and trying to figure out just what that means. Will the movie go personal and bring an enemy from Ethan's past back, or will a past accomplice need his help? I look forward to seeing what comes of this film down the line, and how it will explore Ethan in a way we've never seen before. I've always enjoyed these movies, but they really got revitalized with 4 and have been fantastic in conception since. It looks like 6 will only continue the trend, throwing in more depth and character development on top of it.
  • I am hesitant as delving too much into a character like Ethan Hunt may turn into melodrama if not done right, though I have faith in Christopher Mcquarrie and what he has done on his previous films. IMF are on there sixth film for longevity they have to look at long running series like Bond, to keep going you have to mix things up you can't just keep making the same film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @fire_and_ice, as a writer I think McQuarrie will be able to add more character to Ethan without making it too much of an uber-dramatic affair. He seems very good at balancing story elements like that, as he managed to do similarly with MI5, giving each character a moment in the grander scheme to shine, and he worked them well off one another.

I think the series is heading where I've always imagined they'd be headed, by exploring Ethan's life outside of IMF and what it could mean if he retired. With the return of Ferguson, it seems like they are going to set him up for another relationship, and maybe show him off the job more to get a sense of who he is in quieter moments, which we never really see outside of the last two minutes of the films as he and the crew celebrate.

I'd personally love to see Michelle Monaghan/Julie return, and have Ethan reconnect with her in some way. The tease of seeing old faces wants me to think it's partly her they're speaking of. The glimpse we get of her at the end of MI4 and Ethan's reaction at seeing her from afar was the greatest surprise of that film for me, and I got teary eyed watching it unfold, never expecting it in a million years. It was a nice little moment, giving the series a continuity and sense of development for the characters, with a possible promise of more later.

A man can dream.
  • I heard the Australian guy from MI2 is returning? Michelle Monaghan coming back would make sense, not sure if they will push Ethan/Ilsa as a couple. It felt more mutual respect between them, though Rebecca Ferguson was hot Ethan did not really respond to it though that could be Ethan just being loyal to Julie. If Julie returns it makes more sense of Rogue Nation and Ethan motives, now we definitely have to assume continuity through out all the films.
    @fire_and_ice, you mean Billy Baird? The Australian pilot? That'd be a really random character to bring back, but it'd be cool to see the team create some need for Ethan to be in Australia, and set an action sequence along the Sydney opera house.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 That's right John Polson trying to recall where I heard it, it was probably on one of the YouTube movie channels. Agreed probably not the most memorable team member I could not remember the characters name. I would be happy to see Maggie Q return, or perhaps Paula Patron is more likely.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Could it be someone like Henry Czerny as Kittridge from MI ?
    Or maybe Maggie Q, Paula Patton, or Johnathon Rhys Myers.
    I guess we'll find out in due course.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Andreas Wiesnewski again? Like in Ghost Protocol? Or maybe Max?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I can live with both and would actually like to see Max back. I'd be happy if I never see Julia or Ethan in a kitchen again. Hopefully McQuarrie handles this 'peel back' better than Abrams did.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can live with both and would actually like to see Max back. I'd be happy if I never see Julia or Ethan in a kitchen again. Hopefully McQuarrie handles this 'peel back' better than Abrams did.

I've always really liked M:I III.

I've always really liked M:I III.
    Different strokes I guess.

I loved Hoffmann but that's about it. Even the supporting cast were dull as dishwater (although Maggie Q was easy on the eyes). Too much bloody emotion & melodrama for my tastes. I was much more satisfied with what EON delivered that year, which struck a beautiful balance.

Strangely, my opinion was completely different about the output from the two franchises in 2015.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm wondering if it won't be Thandie Newton returning, since she got big once again with 'Westworld.' Or, it could always be Czerny, too. Someone else mentioned having Jim return, with some convoluted explanation as to how someone doubled for him and he was never a traitor in the first place, having spent these last 20 years deep in a prison somewhere.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,599
    There have been some great supporting characters IMHO. I think the wise thing to do would be to bring back a character from one of the series that is warmly remembered (so it rides on the coat tales). Henry C would be perfect IMHO as it would be a reminder of how far back MI goes and the very start of the rollercoaster. Also, I think its a movie that most people like: brings back great memories. He had some of the best scenes/lines acting against Cruise ("Alright, Hunt. Enough is enough. You have bribed, cajoled and killed and you have done it using loyalties on the inside, you want to shake hands with the devil, that's fine with me, I just want to make sure you do it in hell. ") plus IF Cruise is coming to an end, its a nice way of "bookending" the series.

McQuarrie is a safe pair of hands and I cant wait for the next movie.
    I agree. Someone from the original MI would be great. I'd be ok with Phelps, Max or Kittridge.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,599
    VR is 80 so not sure it would work but she is pure class. Its a tribute to the franchise that there are so many good supporting characters to choose from.
    I always liked Kittridge,I hope they bring him back,i would welcome that.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Czerny looks damn good for +21 (from the initial film) years as well. He's aged almost as well as Cruise during this time.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Czerny looks damn good for +21 (from the initial film) years as well. He's aged almost as well as Cruise during this time.

I noticed that as well,he is always an actor I like to watch whenever he pops up in something.

He is 58 so in MI he was 37, playing a role perhaps that would normally go to an older actor so that makes him a great choice as he would look good "face to face" with Cruise and the potential for "re-meet" one line dialogue would be wonderful
  • tanaka123 wrote: »
    Andreas Wiesnewski again? Like in Ghost Protocol?
    Yes :) He should be back for another cameo role.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    ‘The Crown’ Star Vanessa Kirby Lands Lead Role in ‘Mission: Impossible 6’

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-crown-vanessa-kirby-mission-impossible-6-1202001666/
    doubleoego wrote: »

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-crown-vanessa-kirby-mission-impossible-6-1202001666/
    I don't know anything about her but she looks good and Cruise generally has an excellent track record when it comes to this sort of thing. Bring it on!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    doubleoego wrote: »

I don't know anything about her but she looks good and Cruise generally has an excellent track record when it comes to this sort of thing. Bring it on!
    I'm feeling she's going to be a regular IMF team member. I'm glad to see this is going more in the direction of what the series intended to be rather than having Ethan Hunt constantly have his own spin on the James Bond saga, going solo while the teammates act as his underlings.
    Christopher Mcquarrie “I’ve seen five of these movies and I don’t know who Ethan Hunt is. One movie sort of dealt with his personal life; the other movies are about people speculating what’s really going on in Ethan’s head. I want to know who Ethan is in this movie, I want an emotional journey for this character, and Tom really embraced it.”

His approach this time, then, was to say “‘I don’t want to string together a bunch of action scenes, I want to actually deal with character’. So I put Ethan in a bunch of complicated moral quandaries, and I’m trying to find ways to connect them – and then, ironically, the way to connect them was through giant action scenes.”

http://collider.com/mission-impossible-6-opening-scene-christopher-mcquarrie/
    I´m extremely sceptic about emphasis on character arc in action films, but this cracked me up :-)): "Maybe they can bring back Thandie Newton and give her a character who’s not awful. That would be nice."

Defined personality? Yes, please, as long as it can be seen in any moment of the story, and not in dumb flashbacks or side stories á la MI3 that in effect have nothing to do with the actual story and just steal its time.

boldfinger wrote: »
    Christopher Mcquarrie “I’ve seen five of these movies and I don’t know who Ethan Hunt is. One movie sort of dealt with his personal life; the other movies are about people speculating what’s really going on in Ethan’s head. I want to know who Ethan is in this movie, I want an emotional journey for this character, and Tom really embraced it.”

His approach this time, then, was to say “‘I don’t want to string together a bunch of action scenes, I want to actually deal with character’. So I put Ethan in a bunch of complicated moral quandaries, and I’m trying to find ways to connect them – and then, ironically, the way to connect them was through giant action scenes.”

I´m extremely sceptic about emphasis on character arc in action films, but this cracked me up :-)): "Maybe they can bring back Thandie Newton and give her a character who’s not awful. That would be nice."

Defined personality? Yes, please, as long as it can be seen in any moment of the story, and not in dumb flashbacks or side stories á la MI3 that in effect have nothing to do with the actual story and just steal its time.
    Precisely.

Precisely.

Watch it, guys. Ethan really cared for Keri Russell!

Precisely.

Wouldn't you, Brady? :D
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Vanessa-Kirby-Feet-2080873.jpg

ss16_vanessa2?$original$

The looks of Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman

Precisely.

Wouldn't you, Brady? :D

Nah, she's not my type.
    Ethan is Jim Phelpes step son?