Sam Heughan will be one to keep an eye on as a future Bond.

edited December 2011 in Actors Posts: 224
I watched "A Princess For Christmas" last night. I watched it because Roger Moore was in it. I always try to take the time to watch Sir Rog in whatever he is in (which is rare) because he is so loyal to the James Bond franchise. As someone else said in a thread regarding Pierce Brosnan appearing on Craig Ferguson's show last night, Roger Moore is the only ex-Bond who shows pride and pleasure in having played Bond; he is the only one who enjoys talking about his time as Bond.

Anyway, a young (30 year-old) Scottish actor, named Sam Heughan caught my eye.He played Roger Moore's son. I was very impressed with his acting. He came across poised, confident and smart. The way he handled the romantic scenes reminded me of Sir Rog in that he was very smooth, suave and charming. Unlike Sir Rog though, he did look and act very athletic (maybe that's because he is much younger than Rog was when he played Bond). He is tall (6'2"). His hair coloring is blondish. I hope this doesn't come across as gayish....he is a good-looking young man without being a "pretty boy".

Regarding Sir Rog in the TV movie, he gave his usual solid performance. He began his scenes as a cold, mean, bitter man due to the death of his estranged but, favorite, older son. But he softened up greatly once his 7 year-old granddaughter melted his heart (you didn't think ole Rog would continue to be a "bad guy", did you?). Rog couldn't resist sending up a one-liner during the movie, just like in his old Bond days. Interestingly in the ball scene when Sir Rog was greeting his guests, he welcomed one "Lady Kristina" who just so happens to be his real-life wife, Lady Kristina Moore. The camera showed her several times up close.

It was a good Christmas movie, as far as Christmas movies go. Happy ending, that still brought an emotional response without being a real tear jerker. By the way, I can only imagine that the 30 year-old Heughan, his 27 year-old Irish leading lady and his other lady (a 25 year-old Brit) in the movie, had to be star struck being on the same stage with Roger Moore. I wonder how long they stared at Sir Rog before going to work?

Comments

Looks a tad like Gustav Graves? A little?
  • SJK91 wrote:
    Looks a tad like Gustav Graves? A little?

Who, that being said, could've made a decent go at it.

• Doesn't much look like Bond to me.

That, and he's not my type...
  • lalala2004 wrote:
    Doesn't much look like Bond to me.

And here I'd thought we'd learned that lesson....

• Since I haven't seen this guy in action, his looks are all I have to go on.
  • lalala2004 wrote:
    Since I haven't seen this guy in action, his looks are all I have to go on.

Same. Though I'm never going to make that error again.

;)

• Also, I disagree with the OP in that I think he does have that "pretty boy" look.

*shrugs*
  • lalala2004 wrote:
    Also, I disagree with the OP in that I think he does have that "pretty boy" look.

*shrugs*

That I will agree with you on La.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 101
    http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/a-princess-for-christmas10.jpg
    He's far to "pretty boy" for my liking. Give him a few years and he might grow out of it. And who knows what direction Bond will take after the Craig era.
    In the movie itself, he didn't look like a "pretty boy". I don't know when the above pictures were taken. He had a more mature look in the movie and certainly carried himself in a mature way.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @Ellis I have taken this thread out of News and dropped it in to Actors. ;)
  • my grandmother would easily beat him in an arm wrestling match and make him polish her floors in his pants.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    The movies on the hallmark channel right now. My mom texted me saying "I'm watching a Christmas movie with old Roger Moore." So I flicked it on.

The kid could be Bond someday.vreminds me of Dalton mixed with Craig. However, he lacks what makes Craig so dynamic. At least in said film.
  • Sam Heughan has now been cast as the lead in the TV series Outlander out in 2014 .
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Off topic, Dalton is just as loyal to the Bond franchise as Roger. In fact I think Roger overuses the fact that he was Bond just to remain in the spotlight. Always has come across as forced and even fake to me.

Anyway, he's too prettyboy for me, as I've not seen him in any actiom sequences yet. Im worried he would be another Brosnan.
    Off topic, Dalton is just as loyal to the Bond franchise as Roger. In fact I think Roger overuses the fact that he was Bond just to remain in the spotlight. Always has come across as forced and even fake to me.

I think you forget that Roger Moore is known to the general audiences as James Bond 007 and he does use that but is always cavalier about it as he is about the franchise and his co-performers.
    Dalton & Lazenby are the unknown(er) James Bond performers, and I can honestly not say if Dalton is loyal about James Bond as I rarely see him in interviews on the subject. But I am sure he has nothing to complain whne it comes to the franchise.

And I agree with the pretty boy statement insofar that I do hope we get a manly follow up to Craig, somebody less Gollum. ;)
    SaintMark wrote:

I think you forget that Roger Moore is known to the general audiences as James Bond 007 and he does use that but is always cavalier about it as he is about the franchise and his co-performers.
    Dalton & Lazenby are the unknown(er) James Bond performers, and I can honestly not say if Dalton is loyal about James Bond as I rarely see him in interviews on the subject. But I am sure he has nothing to complain whne it comes to the franchise.

Yes, Roger Moore is one of the most well-known Bonds. Which is precisely why I feel he just milks any opportunity to remind the world that he was Bond, rather than being genuinely loyal to the franchise; it's all about publicity for him, and not about any sort of passion he may have had for the role.

Dalton doesn't do that, which is why there aren't a billion interviews of him around. He spoke at Cubby's funeral and even at John Barry's, has always been gracious in his few interviews towards how things ended up, and has always come across to me as a very genuine human being, especially - as I said before - being the Bond who ended up being treated the most unfairly, giving two great performances only to be screwed over by a lawsuit that had nothing to do with him, as well as often being considered a poor Bond. Whereas Sean Connery threw a hissy fit that's lasted for forty years, when he got a pretty fucking good deal out of being Bond, Dalton has always spoken favourably about the franchise and especially about those he worked with directly. And he's never done this in order to say, raise his profile or to sell a book. That's what Moore does.

Anyway, we're off topic. I don't think this guy is suited for Bond. And comparing Craig to Gollum is out of line. Think of something constructive to say next time.
    There was this moment in SF when Craig is waiting for M in her appartment when he is backlit you see his head with his ears, and when I saw the movie in cinema somebody actually yelled "Gollum" and the whole audience laughed. When I saw the movie again on dvd I was drawn to the same scene and it made me laugh again.

So hence the comparison.

And Gollum is in my view one of the greatest characters realised on the big screen.
    Just want to comment about Roger: I think if Roger simply was interested in staying in the spotlight, he'd take every role that was offered to him. He sure would not have gone into semi-retirement 20+ years ago, when he still had lots of gas in the tank, to serve as a world-wide ambassador for UNICEF advocating the causes of children. And he certainly does not need the money. I suspect that if Sean was available to present awards to the Bond producers, talk with CBS when they did a special on the top 100 action figures in cinema history, write a book on the James Bond series, etc, as Roger has done, asking Sean to do all that would have been the obvious person to go to. I guess Roger could have always said, "Hell, NO". But that is not apparently Roger's character DNA. I noticed that Roger was not at the recent Octopussy reunion. So, I don't think he trips over his feet to get his face in front of "everything Bond". In fact, I recall when Harry Salzman's daughter had an event celebrating Harry's career, Moore had to reluctantly opt out due to a scheduling conflict. Only when Salzman's daughter said that a portion of the proceeds would go to UNICEF, did Moore agree to squeeze in the Canadian event, saying that his "arm was twisted". I think what Lois Maxwell, in a TV special on Moore, said about Roger rings true. She said, he is not "big-headed like the typical Hollywood star". And since she knew him all the way back to the 1940s, I suspect she knew him about as well as any other actor does.