Should Fleming's Goldeneye estate feature in a Bond film?

edited February 2017 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 676
I have long dreamed of a screen adaptation of "Octopussy" set at Fleming's Goldeneye estate in Jamaica, but I guess that boat has sailed now that EON has written things so that Blofeld killed Hans Oberhauser (rather than Dexter Smythe, as in the short story).

Either way, I think it would be fun to see the birthplace of Bond - Goldeneye - feature in one of the films. Work it into the story somehow. Perhaps Bond can vacation there, or perhaps the next Bond actor's first scene could be set inside the house. Check out some photos of Goldeneye below:

goldeneye1.jpg

goldeneye2.jpg

original.jpg

Comments

It would be a nice touch for the 25th Silver Anniversary of films, just find a way to include in the plot or PTS for that matter?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    It would be a nice touch for the 25th Silver Anniversary of films, just find a way to include in the plot or PTS for that matter?

Wasn't that in 1987 with TLD though?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am all for it, but it is up to the owner of course.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,730

Seconded, and Raymond Benson has already used it under the name Shamelady in the first chapter of his first Bond continuation novel Zero Minus Ten (1997) so there is some form there already.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Milovy wrote:
    I have long dreamed of a screen adaptation of "Octopussy" set at Fleming's Goldeneye estate in Jamaica, but I guess that boat has sailed now that EON has written things so that Blofeld killed Hans Oberhauser (rather than Dexter Smythe, as in the short story).

Either way, I think it would be fun to see the birthplace of Bond - Goldeneye - feature in one of the films. Work it into the story somehow. Perhaps Bond can vacation there, or perhaps the next Bond actor's first scene could be set inside the house. Check out some photos of Goldeneye below:

goldeneye1.jpg

goldeneye2.jpg

original.jpg

In short. Yes. Good idea.

Ask yourself if it's OK in the mirror.

It's free international publicity for the hotel. A no brainer. I believe the complex is part of an exclusive holiday resort now.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    It's free international publicity for the hotel. A no brainer. I believe the complex is part of an exclusive holiday resort now.

Yes, they've kind of ruined it a bit from what I hear.

Have visited Goldeneye a few times. Great idea. And I have long been an advocate of Bond returning to Jamaica. Only Dr No amongst the films is actually set there, although parts of LALD were filmed in Jamaica.

Jamaica is frankly Bond's spiritual home and it beggars belief that EON have not returned for over forty years. A real crying shame.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Jamaica is frankly Bond's spiritual home and it beggars belief that EON have not returned for over forty years. A real crying shame.
    Agreed.
    Have visited Goldeneye a few times. Great idea. And I have long been an advocate of Bond returning to Jamaica. Only Dr No amongst the films is actually set there, although parts of LALD were filmed in Jamaica.

Very much agreed, @Getafix, considering how many Fleming Bond novels and short stories are set in Jamaica too! Very much Bond's spiritual home.
    Croatia has been done to death and doesnt excite me in any way,shape or form...but Goldeneye and Jamaica..that does !!
  • I would be happy for a brief portion of a film to be set in Jamaica and make use of the Goldeneye estate. Maybe something like Bond's visit to Mathis's villa in QOS. I'd like to see GoldenEye used, but there are many more places I'd rather see featured over larger portions of a film.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 45,489
    If it ever makes an appearance, the scene doesn t necessarily have to be in Jamaica.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It is owned by some record company founder.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    If it ever makes an appearance, the scene doesn t necessarily have to be in Jamaica.

Yes, Chris Blackwell who is the man behind Bob Marley and the international spread of reggae. He earned his first money by working as location manager at Dr. No.
    Right. Bob Marley was an earlier owner, in the 70s.

+1.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    MrBond wrote: »

Yes, Chris Blackwell who is the man behind Bob Marley and the international spread of reggae. He earned his first money by working as location manager at Dr. No.
    Because he was Blanche Blackwell's son, Ian Fleming's lover...
    ggl007 wrote: »
    MrBond wrote: »

Because he was Blanche Blackwell's son, Ian Fleming's lover...

Exactly. All very incestuous.

Chris Blackwell is an impressive guy in his own right. I'm surprised he hasn't orchestrated Bond's return to Jamaica to be honest.

But there are plenty of other great Jamaican locations that could be used in a Bond film.

Believe it or not the Chinese are currently trying to buy an island off the south coast to turn into a shipping container port. All very Dr No.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,730
    Chigroes are real then?
    If this is going to happen, now is the time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Jamaic it so.

As long as we see a gold typewriter in the background.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Jamaic it so.

The exploding type?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Jamaic it so.

The exploding type?
    Yep, it gets written off.

Where's our credit EON?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Where's our credit EON?

That's fair