Bond film vs. Bond film

JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
in Bond Movies Posts: 2,730
I know all u guys me included love every film in some way however I still want to see what everyone thinks when we pit two bond films together and see which , the community prefers. I would like to start with a personally hard one for me
Goldfinger vs. From Russia With Love

I can't decide i feel like my opinion on this would change day to day as frwl is classic literary bond and Goldfinger is classic film bond

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 2,045
    From Russia with Love. My nostalgia aside (it being the one that really got me into the series), it's a very solid film on its own, I see it as the masterpiece of the series. Goldfinger, while being an amazing movie in its own right, and the perfect follow up in my opinion, just falls short when I compare it to other enteries like FRWL, OHMSS, or Dr. No. Saying that, it's in my top 5 films (5th being Goldeneye, the first Bond movie I saw)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    From Russia With Love was the calm before the storm. Before they had the box office success of gold finger. They focused on character and making a great story.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Goldfinger will always win for me because I just find it so entertaining and it never bores me. I agree that characterization and location is stronger in FRWL and in general FRWL has more "creative meat" ... but I still find Goldfinger more entertaining and it will remain my #1 forever.
    FRWL wins for me. GF is or has been overrated.
    FRWL is so much better than GF in all departments.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    GF's success is owed to it's special effects. (E: the laser, odd jobs hat, gold paint)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FRWL clearly. For me it an almost perfect film. The atmosphere, the characters, the plot, the music, the locations, it's all there and it's all done perfectly.

GF is good no doubt, its iconicness makes it a fine entry but I miss an exotic touch to be honest.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Okay so the consensus is frwl

How about thunderball and Goldfinger
    TB easily....beautifully shot,sexy,great characters throughout,and a good SPECTRE villain,location and henchmen/henchwomen.
  • GBFGBF
    You cannot compare the two films. I love them both but for different reasons. Goldfinger is the most iconic Bond film with so many memorable scenes. I like all the characters in that the film and Goldfinger himself is probably the best villain in the franchise and his plan is great too. However, FRWL is more suspensefull and feels like a real spy thriller.

How much do I wish we will someday see some spy elements in a future Bond film again!!!!
  • Okay so the consensus is frwl

How about thunderball and Goldfinger

Goldfinger. Thunderball's pacing is too slow for me, it really is a long movie. Not bad by any means but for some reason to me it doesn't flow as good as the previous 3
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    FRWL for me when compared to GF. There's something very unique about that film, even today, in comparison to all the others in the Bond oeuvre. Raw, suspenseful espionage with a touch of the romantic even.

TB for me when compared with GF. Not only because I find Connery far more impressive in the later film (his earlier dark edge is clearly back, in marked contrast to the goofiness he demonstrates in Hamilton's effort), but because I prefer Barry's score, the villains, the Bond girls & the basic plot in TB. Although it's certainly slow in the later half, that same criticism can easily also be leveled at GF, which arguably goes to sleep (just like the soldiers) after Bond hits Kentucky.
    FRWL over GF
    GF over TB
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2017 Posts: 6,778
    I would take Thunderball over Goldfinger as well. GF is the more iconic here as well, but TB adds beautifully shot exotic locations, widescreen visuals, a sense of mystery, a better soundtrack and a femme fatale.

TB for me.
  • GBFGBF
    FRWL > GF > TB (so you have it all in one). In the moment I am really unsure how to rank the Connery films. I really enjoy DAF (more with every viewing) except for the climax and some other silly moments.

So I have probably come to the point where I take DAF over TB and DN which are of course classic Bond films but have gone down a little bit in my ranking.

Probably my current Connery Ranking would be:

1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. YOLT
    4. DAF
    5. DN
    6. TB (still good and somewhere in the middle of my overall ranking)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Goldfinger, easily. TB was the first step down in the series.
    Goldfinger was clearly Connery's best film.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Quantum of Solace and tomorrow never dies?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Quantum of Solace and tomorrow never dies?

You're pitting my number 24 (#25 if we're counting NSNA) against my number 1. TND by a country mile.
  • TND wins. Middling film, but QoS is bottom-tier.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I can't quite remember where I rank these two, but I recall they are quite close. Both middling as far as I'm concerned, with far too many flaws and too little to distinguish them from my higher ranked fare.

TND has a high tech aesthetic and is an attempt to inject a Gilbert'esque approach to the 'new' era. The budget's definitely up there on the screen. Unfortunately, I find it a highly derivative film. Unlike Gilbert's three, which all seem relatively unique to me despite their larger than life plots, TND is just too imitative. It has the stench of obvious pastiche, right down to specific scenes. Additionally, it pitifully wastes the most interesting character in the film, namely Dr. Kaufmann. The rest, including Bond, just seem like cardboard cutouts going through the motions & ticking boxes. A shame really, because the stunt work is first class and holds up well even now. Additionally, the plot (devious media baron using deception & lies to trigger conflict for ratings) is very current. Ultimately, it's highly forgettable due to poor execution and doesn't build on the excellence of its predecessor.

QoS similarly has a modern look to it, while still evoking the classic films in its vibrant and rich colour palette (which seems like eons ago now after the latest effort) and wonderful location work (at least what one can make out when the camera isn't shaking about). As others have noted in the past, its ultra short run time and get-straight-down-to-business approach (right from the visceral opening scene which even dispenses with traditional pleasantries such as the gun barrel) is refreshing. Unlike TND, the performances in this film are rich and textured (from Craig who owns his grieving Bond, to Almaric as the greasy Green, to Kurylenko as the revenge seeking Camille). The action is excellent like the earlier film, but suffers from hyper-editing, which is obviously derivative of the Bourne series. Like TND, the plot is very current. Rather than a corrupt media, this one focuses on a nefarious elite connected to the corridors of power (Davos crowd?) who meet in luxurious locales and attempt to shape world events. Unfortunately, like TND, this film also fails to build on the goodwill established by its predecessor. The difference here is that Craig owns Bond.

Advantage QoS for me, but only just.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QOS probably makes it into my top ten, while TND is a bottom five entry.
    QOS for me.

Its at #4 compared to TND at #14.