Mount Rushmore Of Bond films.

RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
in Bond Movies Posts: 984
Hi Guys(and gals).

So my question to you is, who would you put on your Mount Rushmore of Bond films?

I say Bond films, as this is purely to include the EON series. Before anyone jumps on me for not including Ian Fleming!

Mine are;

Cubby Broccoli: It goes without saying, the Bond film series not only would not have been made, but it would never have reached the heights it did without him. The first name on any list and a true stalwart of all things Bond.

Sean Connery: The man who defined Bond onscreen. The template for all who followed.

Ken Adam: Designed the look of Bond in the early years. Achieved miracles in production design that have yet to be topped(and in the age of Cgi probably never will) he gave Bond films the backdrop of granduer.

John Barry: The man who defined what Bond films should sound like, he composed some of the most beautiful pieces of music ever for the Bond movies, not to mention producing its most classic of songs.

Honorable Mentions:

Richard Maibuam: Classic script writer, fashioning Fleming novels into big screen epics.

Harry Saltzman: A very close run for the top 4, also a big reason the Bond series got off the ground.

Roger Moore: Defined Bond for a generation, and ensured the series popularity continued when it may well have crumbled without Connery.

Comments

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    @Birdleson I left Fleming out, as I was thinking of specifically the films. But yeah as a whole he would be the first on the list.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In my view it has to be the following (excluding Fleming & the producers because they are essential):

1. Connery - I don't think the series would have been able to survive without him. Unique, rugged, classy, suave. He had it all and owned every scene he was in.
    2. Young - he, more than anyone, brought out the best in Connery and created the template that lasts today.
    3. Barry - he has saved several mediocre Bond films with his brilliance. His scores defined a generation of films and a genre. Never bettered anywhere.
    4. Adam - he created sets that will live forever and was critical in establishing that unique Bond look.

Honourable mentions:

5. Moore - he kept the series alive when it was getting tired. The right man for a generation of viewers as the pendulum swung to lighter fare. Elements of his characterization define film Bond as much as Connery.
    6. Maibum - genius. How we miss him these days, particularly after the latest debacle.
    7. Campbell - surprising perhaps, but he deserves to be here because he reset the series and put it back on track not once, but twice. The fact that none of his successors could pick up the baton and run with it shows how good he was.
    8. Binder - for creating a certain look that lives on even today.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Couldn't we just switch this from Mount Rushmore to the Xi'an army of terracotta soldiers? Might make the choice easier.
    @j_w_pepper That would make it a bit too easy!
  • The fairest thing to do would be to place one film from each Bond.

For me it would be FRWL, OHMSS, FYEO, LTK, GE and CR.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The fairest thing to do would be to place one film from each Bond.
    Trouble is, Mount Rushmore only has room for four...
  • Of course, yet I would not want any of the actors to be left out.
    Each has a legit core of fans.
    Uups...five.
    51vj5wbezql__ss500_lnrjh.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Very interesting thread.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Cubby, Barry, Connery and Moore.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Cubby, Harry, Fleming, and Young.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Assuming no Fleming as the OP stated:

Cubby - No explanation needed.
    Sean - See above.
    Rog - Ensured that the character would endure like Sherlock Holmes and 30 years since they both retired him and Sean still stand over the series like two collusses.
    Adam/Barry - Impossibke to decide. They would have to share one head like Two Face.

Well done @Roaduphill for coming up with a genuinely original and innovative thread. Any chance of you replacing P&W?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cubby, Young, Sean, Barry
    @TheWizardOfIce Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I would love nothing more than to replace P+W.

Funnily enough I am a writer of sorts, but of a stature too small to ever realise my dream of penning a Bond script or novel.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Connery, Moore, Dalton and Craig.
    Sorry, Pierce, but I had to choose between you and Timothy--and he has a face MADE to be chiseled in granite!