Would you be interested in seeing a digitally rejuvenated Sean Connery play Bond one more time?

edited January 2017 in Actors Posts: 372
There was an article in today's newspaper about deceased actors digitally being brought to life in movies. Recently George Lucas confirmed that they will not digitally resurrect Carrie Fisher to play Princess Leia in future Star Wars installments, much to the disappointment of countless fans. Martin Scorsese is currently developing a movie in which both Robert de Niro and Al Pacino are gonna be made to look thirty again using new digital techniques. Both digitally resurrecting and rejuvenating actors aren't new practices and techniques seem to be improving.

Say techniques were to improve to the point you can't even tell it's fake. Would you be interested in seeing a digitally rejuvenated Sean Connery (or any other Bond actor) take on the role again? Or would you say they have had their shot? Discuss.

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    There are certain exceptions (Paul Walker - Furious 7, for example), but digitally recreating an entire performance is the closest thing to pissing on the actor's legacy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No. BUT I wouldn't mind an animated film revisiting a classic Bond era like the recent Batman and Robin: Return of the Caped Crusaders film that revisited the Adam West Batman era.
    batman-return-of-the-caped-crusaders-adam-west-burt-ward.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That sh*t works in cameos like Terminator: Genysis but a whole movie? No thanks.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    No thanks but I do like the animated idea from @Murdock.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 372
    jake24 wrote: »
    There are certain exceptions (Paul Walker - Furious 7, for example), but digitally recreating an entire performance is the closest thing to pissing on the actor's legacy.

Lol I agree. Digitally animating entire performances is an insult to acting in general in my opinion. But what if it were just rejuvenating, like they did to Anthony Hopkins in Westworld? Apparently Al Pacino and Robert de Niro are ok with it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well look what I just found. ;)
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 17,241
    Nah, wouldn't like that. However, in a Bond commercial (a Blu-ray release for example), that might be fun to see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    That sh*t works in cameos like Terminator: Genysis but a whole movie? No thanks.
    I was fine with it in Rogue One, as well. But that is where I draw the line. I hate how it is in the midst of becoming a trend.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    In a word No!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    That was then and this is now best that we let sleeping icons lie I think.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In a word, NO.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    An animated version: yes. A "live action" movie? No. We must cherish nostalgia, not try to resurrect what it stands for.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    In a word, NO.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Definitely not. Absolutely no need for something like that.
    Martin Scorsese is currently developing a movie in which both Robert de Niro and Al Capone are gonna be made to look thirty again using new digital techniques.
    Surely you must mean Al Pacino. ;)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    NO
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    There is a really interesting (yet flawed) Indie film called The Congress in which Robin Wright (playing herself) is given the option to sign away her likeness for future digital use in films,
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Murdock wrote: »
    Well look what I just found. ;)

That film ends a second too long at 10:08.

No.

Nothing else needs to be said, really.
  • gt007 wrote: »
    Definitely not. Absolutely no need for something like that.
    Martin Scorsese is currently developing a movie in which both Robert de Niro and Al Capone are gonna be made to look thirty again using new digital techniques.
    Surely you must mean Al Pacino. ;)

How in the world did I write that? :))
    Yes, I meant Al Pacino.

Anyway, I'm glad that people aren't into this idea. I think it's ok for flashbacks and stuff, but an entire movie like Scorsese it gonna do... No. Imagine if that's what they had done in Boyhood.
  • No way. CG Leia and Tarkin creeped me out in Rogue One.
    Murdock wrote: »
    No. BUT I wouldn't mind an animated film revisiting a classic Bond era like the recent Batman and Robin: Return of the Caped Crusaders film that revisited the Adam West Batman era.
    batman-return-of-the-caped-crusaders-adam-west-burt-ward.jpg

This actually isn't a bad idea. Although an animated retro Bond movie may end up being a more serious Archer.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,889
    Only if we can do it for a Special Edition of OHMSS where George replaced with an in his prime Connery. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote: »
    Only if we can do it for a Special Edition of OHMSS where George replaced with an in his prime Connery. ;)
    ummm........

I'm not adverse to it, but the technology is still in its infancy and yet to be mastered judging by Rogue One, so until it's at an advanced stage I'd hold off.

And why stop at poor George, @talos? Why not insert a CGI Connery in all of Moore's later Bond movies and better still Brozza's?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    There was an article in today's newspaper about deceased actors digitally being brought to life in movies. Recently George Lucas confirmed that they will not digitally resurrect Carrie Fisher to play Princess Leia in future Star Wars installments, much to the disappointment of countless fans. Martin Scorsese is currently developing a movie in which both Robert de Niro and Al Pacino are gonna be made to look thirty again using new digital techniques. Both digitally resurrecting and rejuvenating actors aren't new practices and techniques seem to be improving.

Say techniques were to improve to the point you can't even tell it's fake. Would you be interested in seeing a digitally rejuvenated Sean Connery (or any other Bond actor) take on the role again? Or would you say they have had their shot? Discuss.

Connery is my favourite Bond. But my answer is NO, a strong no for two reasons. A CGI Sean is not Sean its a fake version, a version or interpretation and not acting, I only to see real actors. Secondly, I have no interest in Bond becoming Toy Story, like the stunts it be done for real as much as possible.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,966
    We have maybe 5 - 10 years before EON considers doing something like this, if they aren't already. The next few films are really important.

The thing is eventually the technology will be cheap enough where hiring an actor and paying them millions of dollars per film just won't make sense anymore.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,181
    If it was for a video game it might be interesting, but what is the point of doing this for a movie? The series progresses onward with the next torch bearer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd want this to happen.

Shoot me. But, seeing Sean Connery in his 32-33 years of age return to be Bond again means the world to me. You can't possibly imagine.
  • But you would know it wasn't really Connery. And the eyes would be lifeless and inhuman like with Rogue One. It's one thing to do that with a supporting character. But your lead? And especially one who should be emotive and charismatic?

Do this for a video game—like FRWL—but not a live-action film.

Even if they faithfully recapture his likeness and essence completely, wouldn't we still want the Bond legacy to move forward? To embrace new actors and new interpretations?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I think the question should be would SC allow it? Personally I don't think so. Interesting concept though.