Oscars 2017 : Place your bets !

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 4,599
    I feel sorry for Warren, he did a better job than PWC at picking up the error. He passed the card to Faye for a second opinion and she just blirted it out. He's pretty blameless IMHO.

PWC to renew their contract for next years Oscars?

"Game over, man. Game over!"
    you couldn't write it could you, who the hell is in charge of these kids?
  • For a organisation at the top of its field it's incredibly unprofessional.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sounds like the night was filled with several blunders. Not sure how these people work on the show for an entire year, and manage to bungle the sole job they're given (surely there's someone responsible for the entire In Memoriam, how do you add a living person to that??)

Glad I didn't waste my time.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    http://collider.com/oscars-2017-explained/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Not watched the show for several years, these blunders I guess bring the show back into the public consciousness hmm
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Blunder is an understatement. Can you imagine if this fiasco happened with Leo winning best actor? Ha! the world as we know it would have ended.
    "You had one job ! One job !"

Waiting for the picture that goes with it.
  • I don't usually watch the Oscars—or at least I haven't for years—but I watched this year's because I was with company who had it on. All around, this was probably one of the lamest Oscars ceremonies I can recall. Jimmy did an okay job. His jokes were decently funny and I liked him ripping on Damon, but he was definitely lacking punch. I think the last great Oscars host I can recall was Ellen DeGeneres, who at least had spunk and personality and animation. There just weren't any "moments" last night apart from the big screw-up, I guess, which I missed because we turned the program off as the La La Land gang was heading up. The raining candy was a fun touch, too, even if it further added to the "Who do we love the most? Us!" vibe the Oscars tend to give off at their most transparent moments.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can't believe this is still being talked about.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,336

This is big news!
    ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

This is big news!

It's a rather trivial affair, but in this world, the least important stuff always takes reign in people's minds, so I shouldn't be allowed to be surprised.
    I can see it is trivial at one level but, the interesting thing for me is the PwC part. These "experts" together with other experts from the "big 4" are involved in out lives at many levels. For example, PwC has a big role in auditing and watching over the NHS. They also manage/advise on defence procurement programmes and sit on advisory groups etc. They give the impression of being the "best of the best" and their fees are eye watering. So when the make a screw up that a 12 year old could have done, you have to wonder about the other projects.
    As with other posters, I have had some experience in this arena and despite all of the PR and spin, in my experience, they are no more impressive than other firms. They just "talk the talk" better.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DarthDimi I started with them out of uni in 'audit' and then moved into management consulting.

It's actually a great firm and they've had the Oscars for as long as I can remember. I'm quite sure this incident has really embarrassed them because it's critical that an audit firm not make this kind of mistake. They may even lose the deal because of the public nature of this fiasco.

The auditors in general were out to lunch during the financial crisis as well by the way. I used to audit some of the funds that held all the exotic junk that caused the meltdown and always told the partners I wasn't happy signing off on the files, because we truly didn't understand the risk in a lot of the products that were on the book. When the crisis occurred I felt vindicated, but was also disappointed.

Interesting, @bondjames. Thanks for sharing. :)
    “breaches of established protocols” - so the protocol is giving out the correct envelope and the breach was giving the wrong envelope. "Cock-up" is something I much prefer.

(Remember Mallory's line to Bond in SF? Imagine if he had said " Bond, follow established protocols".)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/28/academy-deeply-regrets-oscars-best-film-award-fiasco
    :-O

:))

Spectacular gaffe or what?!!!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Watch 2:14 when a few guys run behind the La La Land team. Then watch Gosling's reaction on the left at 2:25. By 2:40 Stone is in on it too but the poor chap doing his speech still has no clue.
    It's certainly a beautiful study of body language and how ecstasy and celebration can collapse upon itself in seconds to leave only sorrow and embarrassment behind. Is it wrong that I'm entertained while watching the footage?
    Is it wrong that I'm entertained while watching the footage?
    Probably, but then we're all fallible. This is a big event where it's all about appearances, pandering, posturing and inflated egos. That's the irony of the whole thing and why the story has legs.

From my perspective the story is PwC's delay in dealing with it. A heck of a lot of mistakes were made in sequence by them up there which was not acceptable, knowing their processes. That's why they issued two apologies, but the 2nd one was too late. The lead partner (who was on stage there at the end of it) should have grabbed the mic from Beatty and apologized to everyone up there and taken blame for it then and there. That is what we are trained to do.

Apparently, he was busy tweeting photos of Stone prior to handing out the wrong envelope. That is a sacking offense.
    Is it wrong that I'm entertained while watching the footage?
    Probably, but then we're all fallible. This is a big event where it's all about appearances, pandering, posturing and inflated egos. That's the irony of the whole thing and why the story has legs.

From my perspective the story is PwC's delay in dealing with it. A heck of a lot of mistakes were made in sequence by them up there which was not acceptable, knowing their processes. That's why they issued two apologies, but the 2nd one was too late. The lead partner (who was on stage there at the end of it) should have grabbed the mic from Beatty and apologized to everyone up there and taken blame for it then and there. That is what we are trained to do.

Apparently, he was busy tweeting photos of Stone prior to handing out the wrong envelope. That is a sacking offense.

So he was distracted giving out the envelope, then? Another great hallmark of what social networking does to the brain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2017 Posts: 45,489
    He was Emma Stoned out of his mind.
    I don't blame him actually. I've always had a soft (or is that the other way round) spot for Stone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4266392/All-access-footage-shows-chaos-Oscars-blunder.html

Absolutely fantastic in Easy A.
    Emma kicks ass, but a job is a job.
    Emma kicks ass, but a job is a job.
    Agreed. Especially in the Audit field. Check out the link I posted above. It goes through the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is demoted, because in this profession it's critical that a snafu like this is corrected immediately. When I worked there this was the most prestigious assignment they had. Everyone wanted the job.
    @bondjames, I'll look at that link. If anything, this revealed to us the inner workings of a big show like the Oscars, and the mishaps that can happen when people get all caught up in thinking that movie stars are another species.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Oscars Will No Longer Work With PwC Accountants Involved in Best Picture Flub.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/pwc-auditors-behind-oscars-best-film-fiasco-will-not-work-awards/
    I can't wait for the jokes next year. I assume Warren and Faye will have a starring role with some killer line.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I can't wait for the jokes next year. I assume Warren and Faye will have a starring role with some killer line.

Yes, next year's host will have at least ten jokes to make revolving around the gaffe. The next Best Picture Director is also in perfect pole position to say, "Wait, did we really win this? Have they double checked the card?"
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    As someone who has studied typography, I'm completely baffled as to how no one has pinned the blame on for all this on the design company in charge or creating the envelopes and cards.

How can one of the most prestigious awards events in the world hire designers with zero concept of typographical hierarchy? A red envelope with the category printed in barely visible gold ink and a small font size. A winners card that's just an all caps mass of black text, all the same font size.

The Oscars logo shouldn't be the biggest thing on the page, nor should the category be microscopic italics at the bottom of the page. It should shout "Moonlight" off the page not make the presenter search for the information in a jumble of words. The winners name should be the most prominent thing on the page, followed by producers etc. in a smaller font size.

This is just something I quickly knocked up during my lunch break, but already I think it's an improvement.

NsrJVOI.jpg