Was the SPECTRE reveal or the windsurfing and invisible car worse in your mind?

QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
in Bond Movies Posts: 1,187
For me unfortunately it was the SPECTRE reveal. I simply can't get over the ridiculousness of the entire thing. They completely ignored fleming and ruined two good characters of Hannes Oberhauser and Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Comments

For me it will always that crap CGI windsurfing in DAD....what a load of embarrassing crap that was.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited December 2016 Posts: 2,252
    Yeah I dislike the Oberhauser reveal more.

Objectively it's the windsurfing scene - the CGI shits on all the hardworking stuntmen. But by the same token, the Spectre twist shits on Fleming
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well you have to consider whether the reveal in Spectre made audiences fall around laughing, or sink into their seats gripping their heads in disbelief.
    Neither have I heard of anyone trying to prize their eyes out or attempt suicide with a blunt razor.

All of these things can be attributed to the wind surfing in DAD, so I think that on the whole it's the DAD scenes that were a little bit worse.

However you did make the thread title subjective, so in my eyes..... it's still the wind surfing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In my mind the SP reveal was more offensive.

The DAD surfing debacle was visually atrocious, but the film had already completely jumped the shark by that point, so it was more of a 'roll your eyes, cover your face, lower your head and and shake it in disappointment' episode. Folks talk about the CGI surf and yes, it's a disgrace. However, most forget the bit with the glider hanging off the cliff which came just before, and which was just as bad in my mind, as was Halle's dive in Cuba and the Hong Kong backdrop even earlier. Par for the course in a comedic but entertaining effort.

With SP, the revelation wasn't a production values (like DAD) or editing (like QoS) problem. It was conceptual, which is more damaging imho. An insult to the audience's (and fan's) intelligence. A case of a director, scriptwriter, producer and everyone else (including actors who had involvement) not realizing how idiotic (and potentially offensive) their whole premise was. Moreover, it marked a pivotal moment in the film, because everything that came after that (eg. unbelievable escape and shootdown, dull as dishwater London finale with damsel in distress syndrome etc.) is so 'by the motion', as if everyone was just trying to find a way to wrap the damn thing up. At least DAD still provided some entertainment after the surf fiasco.

So the 'SP reveal' for the win, primarily because DAD at least solicited laughs and groans in the theatre I watched it in, while SP didn't solicit anything except folks twiddling with their iPhones.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    They're both pretty bad. The DAD sequences elicited a more extreme reaction whereas the Spectre stuff left me feeling indifferent at the end when I should have been jumping for joy. I'm not sure which is worse for me, personally.
    The star of Spectre hasn't (yet) been filmed laughing his head off at the Oberhauser reveal.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The star of Spectre hasn't (yet) been filmed laughing his head off at the Oberhauser reveal.
    It may yet come, once he's out of the job. With Craig, anything is possible.
    2002 - Austin Powers parodies James Bond

2015 - James Bond parodies Austin Powers
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll do you one better. The reveal that Gustav Graves is actually Colonel Moon is the worst. Absolute garbage.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    barryt007 wrote: »
    For me it will always that crap CGI windsurfing in DAD....what a load of embarrassing crap that was.

Can't put it any better myself...so I won't! :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

hahaha i thought about being subtle Dragon,but when am i ever subtle ? ;)

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

hahaha i thought about being subtle Dragon,but when am i ever subtle ? ;)

No, I quite agree that the more direct approach is appropriate for that one!

I don't appreciate the pissing over Fleming's legacy with the brother thing either, mind.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I think DAD hurts me more as a viewer. But SP hurts me more as a Bond fan.

DAD is a D student getting an F but SP is a B student getting an F. It's all relative. DAD is just a hyperactive troublemaker kid who can't sit still and you almost giggle at his escalating calls for attention whereas SP is out of character stupid, offensive behaviour.
    Yes ,i never really thought about that surprisingly,thats actually quite a disgusting thing to have done to Fleming,and to all the fans of Bond,either literary or the films,or both.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SPECTRE should have had a sequence where the Quantum organisation gets taken over by SPECTRE and Blofeld becomes the new leader. A montage, with this music playing.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The step-brother thing was much worse. I'll take a little over-the-top, fun camp over a soap opera cliché any day.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's funny. Whenever I pop in Spectre, I enjoy myself immensely. Yet I find that I agree with most of its criticisms. I think you people are slowly turning me against it.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,187
    Spectre seems like it would be the movie Mcclory and Brosnan were planning in the early nineties.
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's funny. Whenever I pop in Spectre, I enjoy myself immensely. Yet I find that I agree with most of its criticisms. I think you people are slowly turning me against it.

That is EXACTLY how i feel...spot on.

I didn't really care for the Oberhauser, Blofeld stuff but it doesn't bother me like it does many others around here. I knew from the beginning we were never going to get Fleming's Blofeld so I didn't find it so bad. Hell Newman's score was more offensive to me. :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree on Newman's score, although I feel the use of "the moors" at the end was quite effective.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

That is EXACTLY how i feel...spot on.
    Not that I'm placing blame on anyone, it's just that you guys have made me more aware of its drawbacks. One thing I have continuously supported throughout is DC's performance. It's completely flawless, and not once did I question it.

Back on topic.

Speaking purely objectively I have to admit that, although cringe-inducing, the windsurfing sequence is one that can easily be forgotten, and one that leaves no permanent scar on the franchise. The "brother" connection on the other hand, does. That said, from a subjective standpoint, I myself find the former more offensive. The latter, like @Murdock says, doesn't taunt me quite as severely as it does others on here.
    Boring and repetitive if you ask me. The easiest electric guitar riff ever.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Same here, although I don't think I'll be turned against it. As a Brosnan fan, I have to be impervious to other people's naysaying, so the same applies to SP.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited December 2016 Posts: 2,721
    On repeat viewings I enjoy SP's first half a lot. Intrigue and action is well done. The third act is infuriating - the worst third act since DAD. Both in terms of character and narrative the last 40 minutes is disappointing. What I find is that I watch it until the Hinx fight and then I'm happy to turn it off or leave it going in the background as I do other things.

If you break the film into acts it gets progressively worse. First act is great, second act is solid, third act is poor. In some ways Skyfall follows this diminishing returns structure. But the whole film has an urgency to it and a narrative drive. It also has a more satisfying resolution and a killer final scene - all of which Spectre is missing.

The PTS, first M meeting, Q scene, Moneypenny at Bond's apartment, funeral, Spectre meeting, car chase, Mr White meeting...that is a fantastic first hour. With only the Lucia Sciarra seduction not ringing true (but her listening to opera before her assassins are killed is great). Madeline Swann meeting and subsequent plane chase while Q escapes is solid. Then the Hinx fight is the final highlight. On repeat viewings the M and C subplot drags for me. No subtlety or interest to a lot of it. This is the issue with casting actors like Fiennes, Harris or Wishaw - you need to use them. And why wouldn't you? You've paid for them and they're great actors - but do they serve the story? As much as I love Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell and Desmond they never had multiple scenes with their own plotlines. Now they do and will for the foreseeable future.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have to go with the SPECTRE reveal. The other two offenses are that of style, and/or execution; the "stepbrother card" is one of substance and is much more damaging to the film.
  • Did DAD's windsurfing bit piss on the entire narrative threads of the three Bond films that came before it? It didn't? It was just a forgettable 15-second snippet in an action sequence? Okay then, I guess the SPECTRE reveal was more potently offensive.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Did DAD's windsurfing bit piss on the entire narrative threads of the three Bond films that came before it? It didn't? It was just a forgettable 15-second snippet in an action sequence? Okay then, I guess the SPECTRE reveal was more potently offensive.
    Precisely.

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    If Die Another Day had the villain using a torture machine to probe someone's mind and aggravate their past memories, then people would be criticizing that to no end.

But if it happens in a Craig movie, it's okay.

• bondjames wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    It may yet come, once he's out of the job. With Craig, anything is possible.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Am I imagining this or didn't Craig take credit for the stepbrother thing in some interview (or least speak proudly of it)?