Ralph Fiennes talks about 'SkyFall' for the first time

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 1,380
Ralph Fiennes could not attend the "SkyFall" (Bond 23) press conference yesterday due to prior work commitments publicizing his new movie "Coriolanus" (which he also directed), but <a href="http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/11/ralph-fiennes-on-bond-skyfall.php"; target="_blank">IFC</a> had the fortuitous timing of interviewing the actor shortly after his Bond role was confirmed.

"If you're a Bond fan," Fiennes said, "then you'll be happy."

"I can tell you that John Logan has written a fantastic screenplay and [director] Sam Mendes is a class act. They're doing something quite special I think. I think they're going to be great for Bond."

Fiennes, who said he prefers the darkness of the book over the films, and whose first cinematic 007 experience was "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", was asked whether his character would be joining in with the action sequences. "I can't answer that question," he said. "I don't get laid, that's for sure."

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Well my thoughts, as some other member's on this are here. Great that the entire cast are so excited for this, even Mendes. This bodes well for the new Bond.

I thought it was Skyfall as the title reads at the bottom of the official website?

Per @PanchitoPistoles in another thread:

It seems like it's Skyfall and not SkyFall.

On the bottom of http://www.skyfall-movie.com/ the following is written:
    Skyfall © 2011 Danjaq, LLC, United Artists Corporation, Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. 007 Gun Logo and related James Bond Trademarks © 1962-2011 Danjaq, LLC and United Artists Corporation.Skyfall, 007 and related James Bond Trademarks are trademarks of Danjaq, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • I have the feeling that Ralph Fiennes got onboard when he was reading the screenplay and especially the iconic figure he's going to play. I also heard that in the original screenplay the character names for Ralph Fiennes were deleted. And then there's John Logan saying: "James Bond should always fight Blofeld".

I think Ralph Fiennes will play Blofeld.
    Remember RF's performance in Schindler's List? That evil Nazi voice along with the way he looked in the Harry Potter series would make him a truly memorable Blofeld IF they lose the cat and escape the Docot Evil comparisons. If it is to be Blofeld he cannot be allowed to fall in love and have a son !! Lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It'd be great to have Fiennes play a Blofeld-like character. Blofeld himself? I must admit I'm not against the notion.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    And then there's John Logan saying: "James Bond should always fight Blofeld".

I think Ralph Fiennes will play Blofeld.
    How fitting, I'm with you on that. "He Who Must Not Be Named" has been promoted to Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Possible that Fiennes will be called upon to play Sauron in a reboot of Lord Of The RIngs.
    "He Who Must Not Be Named" could = new M too
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I love Fiennes' final comment. Bloke... =D>
  • Guys in the actual full interview fiennes said one more thing that mi6 didn't include. He also said that the human drama at the center of the story is very "affecting" or moving
    http://t.co/bUHM8Ut
    Is it right to assume he will be playing a villain? It could be an ally... unless I'm forgeting an official statement.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The rumour-mill has always suggested he's playing a 'complex' character, which is basically code for a 'could-be-might-not-be' villain.

Or maybe Blofeld, or a variant there of... ;)
    Mathis, Draco and Zukovsky were all ambivalent characters... but nevertheless allies.
  • Can we at least agree...that Ralph Fiennes will play a LEADING character? I mean......Mathis, Zukovsky, Bey and Draco were certainly not leading characters. They were important allies.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Can we at least agree...that Ralph Fiennes will play a LEADING character?
    No, because we have no evidence of that. For all we know, Fiennes will be playing the same role in several films, and SKYFALL will simply be his introduction, with a view to a larger role in later films. "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood" actually do this a lot - they'll introduce a character a season early, and then have them figure prominently into the next season's storyline. Why couldn't Bond do this for the sake of a little extra continuity in the fuutre?
    Mathis, Zukovsky, Bey and Draco were certainly not leading characters. They were important allies.
    In the films that they featured in, yes. But now that we are in a new timeline, EON could do anything they liked with those characters (even Mathis - it was implied that "Rene Mathis" is a cover name, so there could be a new Mathis in the future).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2011 Posts: 7,960
    The idea of Fiennes being the next M is intriguing
    Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes, are gonna play the villain, but I strongly suspect that Ralph will play Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Bardem will play the villain under Blofeld himself, not a henchman/sidekick, more likely secondary villain that have almost significance role as Blofeld.
    Except that Bardem has already been described as the lead villain.
    Ralph Fiennes I seen him in a lot movies. He was play A View to KillPatrick Mcnee role in The movie version of The Avengers Uma Therman was his opposite as Diana Rigg Role as Emma Peel. Original James Bond Sean Connery played the Villain. But yes I can't wait to seen in Skyfall.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    For all we know, Fiennes will be playing the same role in several films, and SKYFALL will simply be his introduction, with a view to a larger role in later films.
    Do we have official word on that?
    No, we don't. I was simply pointing out that we cannot assume anything about Fiennes or his character - like, as Graves suggested, that he would be a major character - that's why I said "for all we know" at the start of my post.

Officially, the only thing we know about Fiennes is that Sam Mendes cannot tell us anything about the character.
    For all we know, Fiennes will be playing the same role in several films, and SKYFALL will simply be his introduction, with a view to a larger role in later films.
    Do we have official word on that?
    I do not believe Fiennes role is designed to return in future films. First off, although he did HP, I do not see him wanting to tie himself into another franchise, especially as he also returns in the Titans sequel.

From what we have heard, I think Fiennes is playing a character who is very central to the SkyFall plot. I don't think he's Blofeld. I'm betting on another British Mi6 agent who is out in the cold now. Just a guess.