TV shows That Lost That "Magic" After One Season

edited December 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
We see so much TV and there is a lot to watch some good, some not so good. then there are those shows that kick butt and take all praise but by Season 2 (and onwards) something is missing and it can be a bunch of things that lead shows to lose that "mojo" they had in their inaugural seasons.
1. Prison Break I never watched this show but I remember friends who raved about it and the articles were always praising the show. the problem was it was a one trick pony. Once the guys broke out where were they going to go? It was a mistake to have a season 2
2. Desperate Housewives this breakout hit in 2004 was the talk of the town. Fun and beautiful and charming characters, good soapy plotlines with an intriguing mystery in the center of it: Why did Mary commit suicide and what was buried in the back yard? When these were cleared up in the season 1 finale, the show unfortunately lost so much. It lingered for like eight seasons but it was never able to capture that....from the first season.
3. 24 The first season was superb as we followed the exploits of CTU agent Jack Bauer as he tried to save the lives of a promising Presidential candidate and his own wife and teenaged daughter. The fact that it started at 12 midnight and the first 6-7 episodes were during night added to the intrigue. Season 2 was a letdown and we were treated to subpar writing, weak villains and the Perils of Kim (remember her being chased by that cougar?). Season 3 and 4 and other seasons had him battling terrorists (mostly Middle Eastern) and by Season 5 the act had worn thin. How many ways can you save the world? Later seasons lacked that personal fears and apprehensions that were so real in season 1 but felt forced in Season 2 onwards.
4. American Horror Story this is my favorite. the first season was so good, creepy with strong characters who were sympathetic and easy to care about. the many deaths/ murders were tastefully done with the reliance on good shock value and not graphic violence. By season 2 the show devolved into slasher, gore and just weird unsympathetic characters.

Before my comments get too long, I want to hear your comments and your nominations.

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Can't agree on AHS, Season Three with the witches was clearly the best so far.

What I can add:

HEROES the perfect season one, downhill from there and fast

VERONICA MARS one of the best seasons of any show existing, even season two and three were great, but compared to season one, a step back.

THE WALKING DEAD best first season of a suspense/horror show ever. From season two on it's utter garbage.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA a promising great first season (mini-series), the rest was unlikable stupid crap.

LOST a perfect first season, even if season two and three were quite good too, the rest was just annoying.

SEAQUEST, don't get me wrong, I love all three seasons, but again, the first being the best by far.

SLEEPY HOLLOW, it pains me to say, after a perfect first season my high hopes were crushed with a horrid second season. Not even seen the third season yet.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    HEROES the perfect season one, downhill from there and fast

I first watched the show on DVD, and I simply didn't see that. I saw a season 2 that was robbed of all payoff because of the Writer's Strike. I saw a season 3 that would have succeeded in improving if not for a subpar villain and a couple subplots that weren't necessary. I saw a season 4 that brought in intriguing ideas. It was Heroes Reborn that truly went downhill to me.

As far as shows that lost their magic after one season, Dexter. I've only seen the first three seasons, and I felt they got progressively worse as the show went on. Season 2 had an intriguing idea in that the season-wide serial killer was Dexter himself, but that was an idea that should have been saved for the show's final season, not the second. And season 3 was just horrible, save for Jimmy Smitts' inclusion.

Gotham lost the magic after one episode.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    TWIN PEAKS
    Rewatched Twin Peaks finished it last week totally agree, fell flat after the reveal of Laura Palmar murderer.

Heroes first season was fantastic then it descended...
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,341
    @BondJasonBond006
    AHS I just lasted four episodes of season 2, and season 3 just got weird...I did watch the recent season ;Roanake and I thought it was pretty good. there was some gore but it seemed closer to the superb first season.

I like to add another show to the list: Empire This Lee Daniels show about a record empire was a mid season show of 13 episodes. There was some fear of going to a full 20-plus episode Season 2. The fear was that the show would lose some appeal and the actors were reluctant to commit that much time to one project.
    They should have stuck to 13 episodes. All the problems they were apprehensive about have come to fruition in Season 3....
    With so many episodes and with two power and talented stars in Taraji Henson and Terrence Howard the writing has started to suffer as they are relying on the musical aspects versus the family/soap opera drama. Many episodes are just "filler" and it shows. The co stars are given more screen time as Terrence and Taraji (the two stars) are having their screen time cut (probably so they can pursue other projects and Taraji has a new film coming out this month). Now Executive Producer Lee Daniels has a new show about some hip hop girl singing group. This is unnecessary, Empire should receive his full attention but no...so I expect the show 's quality will continue to slip...
    How to save the show? GO BACK TO 13 EPIOSODES YOU FOOL!!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's the destiny of an Empire to fall. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    And the fate of glass to break. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And the fate of glass to break. ;)
    Only French glass, mind.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,691
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA a promising great first season (mini-series), the rest was unlikable stupid crap.
    Agreed. It devolved into stupid melodrama IMO.
    SEAQUEST, don't get me wrong, I love all three seasons, but again, the first being the best by far.
    Again, agreed. It started out of the gate excellent (ship was a little funky looking though), then lost it a bit along the way.

AIRWOLF, an amazingly edgy & engaging first season followed by a watered down family-friendly second two.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, a cool cold war sci-fi series in the first season followed by monster-of-the-week nonsense from the first third of the second season onward.

HEROES, great first season, then (studio-mandated) tripe after that.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,157
    Definitely Once Upon a Time. Season 1 dealt with serious themes such as family, abandonment and adoption, now it's just a "let's throw in as much Disney stuff as we can" and "everyone is related somehow" show.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,441
    Sherlock. Very dificult to get in to it with 3 episodes (For my feeling half season of 6 episodes.). First of all not realy like first season and it take to long before starting with second. Never seen the second season. Not be big fan of actor also not realy helps. It have better have there have showed the two seasons in 12 episodes. Sometimes i thaught mabey someday i wil give it a re-try. Not knowing that earlier this year i get option to take two season on dvd in my collection.

My opnion is that tv series always should have two seasons of atleast 12-13 or 21-24 episodes each of 42-48 minutes.

Millenium. On tv there only tv versions of the three movies. I set it off after half hour. I not get in to it and i don't be pushed by channel to watch all 6hrs in 3 evenings. The English remake with Daniel Craig i not even try because there don't make the two other parts.

I already should give up Prison Break after second season. With Lost i quiter after the channel deside to quite with the repeats after there repeat till half second season. For a wyle i was intrest in BD release, but there never be good price drop and of course it is big risk now. I wil buy earlier Alias (2001-2006) on BD i think if there ever think about it to release on BD. I have consider to give up Nikita after first season and again after the second. And on this moment i am sjure because of long time in between or i wil co on with Beauty And The Beast Season 2.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    All four seasons of Prison Break were superb, I don't think the OP's criticism is warranted at all.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Sherlock.
    I can relate to this. I enjoyed the first season very much and thought it was a novel spin on the classic tales, but I can see how it won't be for everyone. The limited number of episodes each season and the long gaps between seasons are also a bit annoying, true.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Family Guy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Family Guy.
    Season 1-12 was consistently funny, IMO. But the show is beginning to loose it's steam, for sure.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Same with the Simpsons.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Simpsons never waivers.