Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The CIA nazis won t shoot Trump just yet, if they can get an Iran war out of him.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with an economics professor about American economy. His academic predictions aren't too bright for America. Things will be 'fine' for a little while, but very soon they may get dirty.

If "America first" is driven to the extreme, manufacturers of for example cars will most likely still need components produced in other countries. You can't just produce everything domestically - micro-industries are expensive and volatile; companies would have to be set up to supply stuff and then annihilated again if supplies are temporarily unnecessary. Import will remain inevitable lest the American population will flat-out accept all the added costs of this crazy system, which is highly unlikely. But naturally, if America traps itself in a self-serving isolation, imported goods will come with an added cost too. Europe, for example, isn't just going to swallow Trump's self-destructing protectionism and still ship parts and know-how over the Atlantic and throw it over the wall too so to speak, only to get paid the same as before or even less.

Of course the reverse can happen too. America can produce parts and try to sell them abroad. But since Trump is pulling out of the climate story, there may come a plan to reject goods that weren't produced in any climate friendly way. (Although I personally consider that unlikely. We still keep importing goods that were manufactured in conditions of pure slavery and exploitation.)

The professor's overall predictions are that life will get dramatically more expensive for the average American and that the lower and middle classes will suffer the most. Creating jobs will be relatively easy at first but many more may loose their job soon enough. After 4 years, America may be left behind economically weaker than how it is now. It's almost inevitable in a scenario dominated by an extreme protectionism.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with an economics professor about American economy. His academic predictions aren't too bright for America. Things will be 'fine' for a little while, but very soon they may get dirty.

If "America first" is driven to the extreme, manufacturers of for example cars will most likely still need components produced in other countries. You can't just produce everything domestically - micro-industries are expensive and volatile; companies would have to be set up to supply stuff and then annihilated again if supplies are temporarily unnecessary. Import will remain inevitable lest the American population will flat-out accept all the added costs of this crazy system, which is highly unlikely. But naturally, if America traps itself in a self-serving isolation, imported goods will come with an added cost too. Europe, for example, isn't just going to swallow Trump's self-destructing protectionism and still ship parts and know-how over the Atlantic and throw it over the wall too so to speak, only to get paid the same as before or even less.

Of course the reverse can happen too. America can produce parts and try to sell them abroad. But since Trump is pulling out of the climate story, there may come a plan to reject goods that weren't produced in any climate friendly way. (Although I personally consider that unlikely. We still keep importing goods that were manufactured in conditions of pure slavery and exploitation.)

The professor's overall predictions are that life will get dramatically more expensive for the average American and that the lower and middle classes will suffer the most. Creating jobs will be relatively easy at first but many more may loose their job soon enough. After 4 years, America may be left behind economically weaker than how it is now. It's almost inevitable in a scenario dominated by an extreme protectionism.

It's exactly what I have been talking about with my ad yesterday on Skype. Although Trump will not immediately create a massive trade war with several countries, like China, he might steer the USA into damaging long-term trade conflicts that could linger on and on. And we all know what happened to the US when they adopted a protectionist and isolationist economy back in the 1920's. In the end.....it will create chaos.

Also, Trump's "America First" inaugural address reminded me of Charles Lindbergh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lindbergh . We all know what his "America First" movement stood for. He was admired by the Nazi's. Although Lindbergh considered Hitler a fanatic and avowed a belief in American democracy, he clearly stated elsewhere that he believed the survival of the white race was more important than the survival of democracy in Europe: "Our bond with Europe is one of race and not of political ideology," he declared.

That's why I got a bit scared when I was listening to Trump's inaugural address. Add to that the reaction of White House press secretary Sean Spicer yesterday about the lower attendance to Trump's inauguration, and my stomach turned a bit. Again, Trump and Mr Spicer are attacking the media for lies. I mean, in just a few days we now get a clear idea of where the 'new' USA is heading to. It scares me.....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's why I got a bit scared when I was listening to Trump's inaugural address. Add to that the reaction of White House press secretary Sean Spicer yesterday about the lower attendance to Trump's inauguration, and my stomach turned a bit. Again, Trump and Mr Spicer are attacking the media for lies. I mean, in just a few days we now get a clear idea of where the 'new' USA is heading to. It scares me.....
    Yes, Kellyannebondjames can spin this any way he cares to, but it's a clear message where we are going and it's definitely not good.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 1,631
    What's terrifying is that her incompetence and/or idiocy doesn't come over as genuine. It comes over as calculated.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    All of you are correct, I believe.

Here is Soledad on Kellyanne.

More on Kellyanne -
    one comment below noted this:
    Interesting how Kellyanne threatened to "change their relationship" in other words freeze out NBC.
    Fascism on the march; in so many ways. They are not really hiding it, folks.

Oh and hey wikileaks is suddenly interested in exposing Trump? Hahahahahahaha! The Big Fat Irony of that.

I read somewhere (really more than one person is that this) that that would be Putin's next move, because his main goal is not just Trump in office (that was the icing on the cake) but to destroy, disrupt, and cause chaos in the U.S. and the west (I know, that is not news really).
    Our government has his bloody tax returns. So more than one or two people have seen them. These will come out; someone will leak from an agency. And personally, I hope it is NOT wikileaks who gets them to the public first.

The GOP want us to officially leave the U.N.? Huh.

Looks like this was introduced Jan. 3rd.

MORE:

minor point, but Trump sure keeps projecting ... "resign now or later!"

He cannot help himself. And he will not stop tweeting as president.

(Also SJW is mentioned; it means "social justice warrior" the extreme left. Maybe you all knew that acronym; I didn't.)
    While I never agree with anything that comes out of the Clinton camp, I'll cosign on this one:

Brian Fallon: Sean Spicer should resign
    dalton wrote: »
    While I never agree with anything that comes out of the Clinton camp, I'll cosign on this one:

Brian Fallon: Sean Spicer should resign

I can get behind this as well.
    Trump has already thrown Spicer under the bus. Kind of expected. He will be gone soon.
    "Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs ..." (love that song)

Replace with the word "lies"
    (this is not the song, just a word or two on this current bunch of lies and how Trump will manipulate it all) ~
    Thought this was one of the better tweets I saw today:

Plenty of really funny ones, though, under the #alternativefacts hashtag.
    Nice, @dalton. :)
    At this point nearly any alternative would do better perhaps.

Interesting bit from 2002:
    I cannot copy it, only the link but it is an alleged aide to Karl Rove explaining to a reporter that the U.S. is an empire now and will make its own reality. Worth a read ...

One slight silver lining out of all of this is that some liberals who used to demonize your more moderate and sane Republicans, such as Mitt Romney, are now realizing how much worse it could actually be. Maybe once this nightmare is over, the two sides will be able to come together once again.
    We really do need to work together, put our country first and that means a genuine shift and effort for many people, yes.
    BREAKING NEWS:
    1468560185534.cached.jpg
    Trump gets into major argument with Pence, tells him he's 'fired' and replaces him as VPOTUS with Sarah Palin. Congress says " Ummm.... Okay." Trump comments, "Show me specifically where in the Constitution I can't do this! Where? I don't see Mike or Sarah's names mentioned... they weren't even born then." https://www.admitityouboughtitforasecond.com
    Pence as president is looming, actually.
    These times they are a changin' - in so many damn ways, and currently really harmful ones ...

You just know Sarah is very put out not to be in the midst of the Trump admin. ;)
    In KellyAnn Conway's alternative reality, this probably did happen.
    Pence is Trump's impeachment insurance policy, actually. And a reasonably effective one if you consider...
    Yep. You are right, and subconsciously Trump is pushing that way.
    I think that there are two schools of thought on Pence. On the one hand, you're right, his extreme views would make him very unpalatable to the American people. On the other hand, though, he's somebody who would most likely play ball with Paul Ryan, much moreso than Trump would. Ryan and his minions in Congress would likely get more of their platform passed with Pence sitting in the Oval Office as a rubber stamp.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll see a President Mike Pence at some point. Trump hasn't even made it to the beginning of his first week without violating his oath of office. Eventually Congress will be forced by the American people to uphold the Constitution and remove Trump from office through impeachment.
    I like that: the alternative inauguration. ;)

Pence is simply - no matter how strange or bad his views - not as unstable or dangerous as Trump. The GOP are finally getting alarmed. Slow starters, but yeah. Some.

I say that and then read this:
    We really do NOT want Tillerson confirmed. Truly.
    :(
    What could go wrong with Exxon being in charge of foreign affairs?

I'm hoping Kasich comes out and says something soon. He needs to set himself up here in the next couple of years as a primary challenger for Trump in 2020.

Or, if it's not him, the non-Trump GOPers need to band together behind ONE individual to run in the primaries against either Trump or Pence in the next one. Don't allow him to divide and conquer the party like he did this time around.
    Well, I am still hopeful Trump will not be president for four years. Republicans sure need to step out and step up. They should be thinking of their future, but focusing now on protecting and helping our country, beyond partisanship. Same for Democrats, of course. But the GOP is so complicit so far and history will not treat them well as a whole. Even if it is, Pence as prez in 2020, you are right they need better candidates getting ready now.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,687
    Pence is simply - no matter how strange or bad his views - not as unstable or dangerous as Trump.
    Has there EVER been anyone as unstable or as dangerous as Trump?
    I find myself missing Richard Nixon...
    :))
    It is still stunning to think he made it to be the Republican nominee. Just awful.
    Nobody has been this unstable, no. It think that is NOT an "alternative fact". ;)

Did you like my Carrie post? That's one of my very favorite photos from this weekend.
    Here's another, from Mark Hamill. Though the first one I posted above is my very favorite.
This discussion has been closed.