Worst Bond Movie

State your opinion on which bond movie you think is the worst and why? :-h

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They're all crap really.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That one with Eddie Newbie.
    CR'67 ....I would use the original film reel as toilet paper (be a bit rough but I would be doing mankind a service.)
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    None, surprisingly. Yes, I do have a liking of CR '67 and NSNA. Please don' kill me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I could say that for nostalgic reasons I can't give any Bond film less than 5 out of 10, but even my least favourite has some really good moments so I'd say they are all at least acceptable films.
  • Bond gets a free pass even the bad films... Sorry Pierce
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Quantum Of Solace...
    Pierce Brosnan is awful in it.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Quantum Of Solace...
    Pierce is so bad in QoS he is literally anonymous
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Quantum Of Solace...
    Pierce is so bad in QoS he is literally anonymous

Yes, I prefer him in The Undiscovered Country, which is the second worst Bond film, Bardem totally ruins it.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    Thread Die Another Day - The Bond film where the thread gets shut down by admins because it's been created about 5,000 times before.
    Goldfinger.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I could say that for nostalgic reasons I can't give any Bond film less than 5 out of 10, but even my least favourite has some really good moments so I'd say they are all at least acceptable films.

I'd give the lower-tier films a 6 at the very least.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Moonraker.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Technically not the worst, though SF is a film that even after a few years is not getting any better for me.
    The second half of Die Another Day.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Ice Inc track does lift the car on ice sequence ;))
    Murdock wrote: »
    Ice Inc track does lift the car on ice sequence ;))
    The car battle and score are the only good things about the second half of the movie. It's the gene therapy nonsense, Icarus and Jinx that pretty much make me hate the second half. I love the first half though.

• Diamonds are decidedly not and have never been forever for me.
    DAD indeed has a dreadful second half of a film, everything is very poor it's a unintentional comedy for me.
    The one with Kara 'brain dead' Milovy in it.....
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    Skyfall
    The World Is Not Enough
    Die Another Day
  • GBFGBF
    It is probably Die Another Day.... However, this film always makes me smile, even though this is just because I laugh at how bad this film is... I have certainly less enjoyment while watching QoS or SP.
    This begins and ends with one movie:
    MR
    the absolute worst Bond film ever produced. It had the good PTS but after that it is just so much of an insult to watch this two hour piece of monkey shit.

AVTAK and DAD always lands on most people's "hate lists" but at least DAD the first act was decent and AVTAK had a great villain and its always fun watching Zorin and his gallery of rogues.
    I find nothing outside the PTS to recommend MR
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Skyfall
    The World Is Not Enough
    Die Another Day
    I'm with you on 2 out of 3. Reboot necessitating PoS's, both of them.
    For Your Eyes Only.

The only Bond film that is just, well, forgettable I guess. Neither good nor bad, totally, utterly and continuously mediocre.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    bondjames wrote: »
    Skyfall
    The World Is Not Enough
    Die Another Day

@bondjames, EON amazes me how they screwed up DAD. The producers approved the script and story. And the pattern continues with the bloated SP.

As for SF, it's mutton dressed as lamb. It fooled me the first time. And it tries to mix uber realistic feel with fantasy elements of the past.

The pacing of SF is more American Bond, I mean American Beauty.

You can't construct the legend of past Bond in a new film. The story arc fails, because SF should have had the director of QOS. But they threw it out and pretended QOS never happened.

Both DAD and SP follow in parts he myth of the Bond formula. Both promise the ultimate Bond and fall on their swords. And fail. But reading John Glen's autobiography For My Eyes Only, he says it does not exist and you have to create each Bond story from new.

And it was never easy. OP is nothing like TSWLM. If you watch Bond from the beginning, each film created new ideas. Bond stood out from the herd of what the film industry offered.

edited January 2017 Posts: 6,784
    acoppola wrote: »
    Skyfall
    The World Is Not Enough
    Die Another Day

EON amazes me how they screwed up DAD. The producers approved the script and story. And the pattern continues with the bloated SP.

As for SF, it's mutton dressed as lamb. It fooled me the first time. And it tries to mix uber realistic feel with fantasy elements of the past.

You can't construct the legend of past Bond in a new film. The story arc fails, because SF should have had the director of QOS. But they threw it out and pretended QOS never happened.

Both DAD and SP follow in parts he myth of the Bond formula. And fail. But reading John Glen's autobiography For My Eyes Only, he says it does not exist and you have to create each Bond story from new.

And it was never easy. OP is nothing like TSWLM. If you watch Bond from the beginning, each film created new ideas. Bond stood out from the herd of what the film industry offered.

I agree with this. While beautifully filmed both SF and SP try to be 'meaningful Bond' but both fail because of their pretentiousness. OHMSS, LTK and QOS weren't very successful but they showed how to do 'meaningful Bond' right: subtlety without self-indulgence, without losing what the character was about in the first place, without losing the essence of the gentleman spy as he was written by Ian Fleming.

Unfortunately some people need someone to tell them: "This is meaningful." Therefore it works better with a larger portion of the audience.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    acoppola wrote: »
    Skyfall
    The World Is Not Enough
    Die Another Day

EON amazes me how they screwed up DAD. The producers approved the script and story. And the pattern continues with the bloated SP.

Both DAD and SP follow in parts he myth of the Bond formula. And fail. But reading John Glen's autobiography For My Eyes Only, he says it does not exist and you have to create each Bond story from new.

I agree with this. While beautifully filmed both SF and SP try to be 'meaningful Bond' but both fail because of their pretentiousness. OHMSS, LTK and QOS weren't very successful but they showed how to do 'meaningful Bond' right: subtlety without self-indulgence, without losing what the character was about in the first place, without losing the essence of the gentleman spy as he was written by Ian Fleming.

Unfortunately some people need someone to tell them: "This is meaningful." Therefore it works better with a larger portion of the audience.

@goldengun LTK, OHMSS, and QOS are superb explorations of the character of Bond. And LTK and OHMSS present the villain compellingly. It took critics 40 years to warm to OHMSS. And it was a brave departure.

LTK, is in the spirit of the novels by Fleming - LALD and CR- with modern issues such as the rise of the Latin American drug barons, with a subtle reference to General Noriega of Panama. LTK flopped because of studio politics and the worst management in the studios history.

In SP, Bond is in parts an in love with himself wanker. Craig is no Connery in SP, though he wants to be. Connery never tried to flaunt he is cool and dangerous, but, you knew he was. And putting Craig in the white GF tuxedo, made me think how much better Harrison Ford wore it in Temple Of Doom.

Bottom line. The more Craig tries to steal from Connery, the more he proves he is a one legged man in an arse kicking competition!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @acoppola, I very much agree that Mendes appears to want to make an artistic statement while delivering his Bond films. He appears to be focused on his creative legacy and seems to use Bond as a means to further that.

He had a compelling story to tell about M's past in SF (he is the one who insisted on dispatching Dench as a prerequisite for taking on the director's chair). I thought his sleight of hand worked better with this earlier film, primarily because of more compelling characterizations and outstanding (almost Hitchcock level) visuals (courtesy of the incredible Roger Deakins). Those elements served as distractions to what was essentially a retread of TWINE's plot.

With SP, his mistake was to malign a famous character from the novels in order to further his artistic ambitions. A case of hubris perhaps? Moreover, I found his creative vision far less captivating the second time around because his pretense was so outrageous to me. I could have bought it if he had executed better with the elements he aced in SF, but sadly Deakins was sorely missed this time around & the cast & dialogue failed to connect with me in the same way (the worst crime in a way, given this is Mendes' speciality).

I sincerely think it's time to dump these auteurs and get back to a journeyman or workmanlike director along the likes of Glen or Campbell. We may lose something in the style, but I'm sure we'll gain it in the essential Bond'ishness of the whole thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TWINE

Dull as hell, which is the worst crime a Bond film can commit.