Any love for Syd Cain?

In light of the recent Ken Adam favorite set thread, does anyone have any love for Syd Cain's work?
OHMSS is my favorite of his films. The tunnels leading to Piz Gloria and Blofeld's office, Bond's imprisonment behind the cable car machinery, the Piz Gloria revolving dining room are all brilliant, IMO.
I also love the Fillet of Soul interiors in LALD as well as Kananga's underground HQ.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I certainly enjoy his work. The Chess room from FRWL is one of my favorites.
    Murdock wrote: »
    That was a great set with the ceiling a matt painting. The gyspy camp was another great set as well.

Never understood his antipathy to the title of 'Production Designer'.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Exactly. Piz Gloria was a brilliant find.....exactly as Fleming described too.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,727
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yes, and that so very rarely happens. It's just a part of what makes OHMSS the best film in the series IMHO. Just look at how the Japanese castle location was scuppered in the recce for the previous Bond film YOLT.
    I wonder why he wasn't brought in to do TMWTGG?
  • Why of course we love Syd. OHMSS is aestethically one of the most deliciously eye catching films of its era. Piz Gloria is a top-5 Bond villain lair: so outwordly with those caverns and its psychdelic lightning, and at the same time so down-to-earth with its real-life exterior and its luxury hotel-like interior.
    As much as I love Peter Lamont's work, and miss him in the newer films, Cain is my 2nd favorite after Ken Adam.

Forgive me if I'm stupid but wasn't Piz Gloria built for the film??
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Forgive me if I'm stupid but wasn't Piz Gloria built for the film??

No, but it was renamed after the film.
    It was a restaurant refurbished for the film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As much as I love Peter Lamont's work, and miss him in the newer films, Cain is my 2nd favorite after Ken Adam.

Seconded.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2016 Posts: 6,759
    As a big OHMSS fan I made the trip to Piz Gloria last year. They have a whole museum devoted to OHMSS and it must be one of the few places on earth where George is THE face of 007.

Syd Cain obviously did some great work for Bond. The sets of LALD are among the best things in that movie. I've always been a fan of the chess room too.

In a way Syd Cain is the antipode of Ken Adam. While the latter's sets were out of this world, Cain's were much more subtly integrated. Even to the point I can't really say which sets were made up and which ones were filmed on location.
    Syd Cain created more Flemingesque (i.e. from the novels) sets than Adam. Bar DN.
  • Non-Bond, but Cain was part of the art department of Our Man in Havana. Alec Guiness gets an idea from reading a newspaper comic strip which, has a Syd Cain byline.