Die Hard (1988 - present)

edited August 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,894
<blockquote>Die Hard 5 has been confirmed for release on February 14, 2013.

The latest instalment in the Bruce Willis action franchise will be named A Good Day to Die Hard, and will centre around John McClane and his son getting involved in a prison escape.

Willis will return in the lead role, while Max Payne's John Moore will direct the film from a script drafted by The A-Team's Skip Woods.

20th Century Fox said in a statement: "Since the first Die Hard in 1988, John McClane has found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the skills and attitude to always be the last man standing, making him enemy number one for terrorists the world over.

"Now, McClane faces his greatest challenge ever, this time on an international stage, when his estranged son Jack is caught up in the daring prison escape of a rogue Russian leader, and father and son McClane must work together to keep each other alive and keep the world safe for democracy."

Filming is scheduled to begin in Russia in January, 2012.</blockquote>
Discuss.

Comments

These films are beginning to become a bit of a joke,they should have kept it as a trilogy and stopped after Die Hard 3.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 1,894
    LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD simply tried too hard. Timothy Olyphant was a fairly uninspiring and non-threatening villain, an it wasn't helped by the studio's decision to make it PG-13 from the outset (even the R-rated director's cut was a let-down - it was just a new script dubbed over the top of the film). A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD sounds like it's got the right elements in place with an omnipotent villain and a fortified setting; a Russian prison sounds like a very bad place to be in the event of an uprising.

My concern is the crew attaches to this. Skip Woods wrote THE A-TEAM, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, HITMAN, SWORDFISH and GI JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA, while John Moore directed the remakes of THE OMEN and FINAL FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX and MAX PAYNE. Just how many carriages can the studio line up for this trainwreck-in-waiting?
    Well that even makes this worse,they are all dodgy films.
    Part of me thinks John McClane and even Bruce Willis as an action hero,have maybe had their day and this should be put to bed.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 9,730
    I actually liked Live free or die hard it wasn't as brilliant as Die hard and Die hard with a vengeance but it wasn't bad so die hard 5 is a go and i have my first film i want to see in 2013 :D

and Shadow what is wrong with The A-team and X-men Origins Wolverine?
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 19,339
    McClane hanging off a fighter jet was enough to push me over the edge - CGI city.
    I still say it's another die hard movie whats to complain about considering there was talks of a remake early 2011 this news is much more welcomed only willis can play Mclaine!
    With his son now becoming a superman too now ? No ta....that didn't go down too well in Indiana Jones 4 did it ?
    The problem with the DIE HARD films was the way the writers kept upping the scale. DIE HARD was set inside a skyscraper. DIE HARDER was inside an airport. DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE covered lower Manhattan. And LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD took in the better part of two or three states. As the size of the locations expand, the quality of the films decreases - but in the case of A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, the location has been scaled back to something smaller.
    welcome die hard 5, the first four really were entertaining and with Bruce Willis around it is for me A must see movie.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Why February and not June/July for the release? That seems rather odd.
    I've enjoyed all of the Die Hard films to extent. I'll probably be seeing A Good Day to Die Hard in theaters...what can I say, I'm a sucker ;-)
    snorville.....liked the first one.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I will try to be optimistic, but if it fails like it very well could(think MURPHY's LAW), I will be ready to disown it and erase it from existence in my head.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Nice. Have Shia Labeouf play McClane's son. It's a tested recipe for destroying a film series (see Indiana Jones 4).

The first three Die Hard movies where great. The fourth was really bad. I just hope they realise that and make the fifth film more like the original ones. Though, unfortunately, I doubt it...
  • McClane should of quit after 1995 with Vengeance, that was a good film, but the ending was a bit tame, I saw the alternative ending with Irons and the rocket launcher but think they did the right thing with keeping with the Canada finale

Sequels can go a bit far sometimes, see Police Academy as one example :L , even Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 wasn't necessary, but if the audience keeps coming back..

and Die Hard 5 called 'A good day to Die Hard', ?

It's getting into ridiculous territory now

:L
    I think the problem with the DIE HARD franchise is that the series has moved away from the elements that made the original so good in the name of making things "bigger and better". DIE HARD was set on three or four floors of a skyscraper. DIE HARDER was set in an airport. DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE was (mostly) in lower Manhattan. And LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD took in two or three states. But A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD is set in a prison. Even if the prison is larger than Nakatomi Plaza, it's still a smaller environment.

The other thing that they need to address is the villain. Hans Gruber was good because everyone thought he was a terrorist when he was a bank robber. But none of the others are really that great; the Colonel in DIE HARDER was okay, but only because he wasn't motivated by money. DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE set Simon Gruber up as Hans' older brother out for revenge, but then revealed that he was just performing a heist. And LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD was setting Thomas Gabriel (a pretentious a 1980s B-movie villain name if there ever was one) up as a rogue government operative who worked for a foreign power because he was outsed from his job, but then revealed that he was just about money, too. I think that what A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD needs is a strong villain, someone with an interesting motive. Since it's set in a Russian prison, the first thing I can think of is a villain who takes control of the prison to show the world that the Russian government doesn't really have any degree of control at a time when they need it the most. Get rid of the financial motivations; it's too basic, and it's boring.
    and Die Hard 5 called 'A good day to Die Hard', ?

It's getting into ridiculous territory now
    They're obviously finding phrases or quotes with 'die' in them and adding 'hard'. So, look out for WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE HARD (which actually sounds kind of cool), ONLY THE GOOD DIE HARD and WE LIVE AS WE DIE HARD and WHEN THE DEAD DIE HARD and HE THAT BEGINS TO LIVE BEGINS TO DIE HARD in the future.
  • I wonder if the next Bond film actually could be 'Die Hard Bond' :-S
    Well, it was rumoured that the film would be called DIE HARD 24/7 and would be a DIE HARD-24 crossover.
    Well, I don't have much of an opinion, having only seen Die Hard 1. However, I absolutely love the first one, and I'm quite interested to hear about this new one!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i side with the overall majority - that being people who actually enjoyed Live Free Or Die Hard... with blockbuster action films like those, I don't always look for perfection, or 100% believablity... besides - it's hard to duplicate what the original did anyhow, as i consider that the best action movie ever made..

every Die Hard film past the first one (and even parts of the first one) weren't perfect.. what has happened is that it's fallen into the trap that every action series does (hell, the Bond series has done it twice), each sequel tries to outdo the one before it.. there is only so far you can push the envelope..

while I am not too thrilled about McClane's son making an appearence - fine whatever.. it's not worth getting bent out of shape over, since I have no control over the script - besides, I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't rightly comment on how it will play out... i wasn't thrilled about Lucy being a central character in LFODH, but it was tolerable to a degree... Chris Hardwick being rumored as McClane's son... well... at least it's not the MAC kid again lol.... in perfect world, it would be McClane solo again - but he's essentially had a sidekick in every film - i just wish it would stop being his family.... but oh well...

i still shell out my cash to go see it - i've enjoyed all the Die Hard films, flaws and all.. so i'll be checking this one out as well.
  • I found the first one generally boring, it's the same building the entire duration, and that Sgt. Powell character got up my nose a bit by end of film, thankfully we hardly saw him again from thereon

Two has the best ending, and in the third McClane had a bit more to roam and we saw a lot of New York and I really enjoyed that film

Haven't seen the 4th from start to finish, but from what I saw I had mixed feelings, I prefer what came before

I don't know if I'll see Part 5, bottom line is, we don't really need any more :L
    This fifth installment of Die Hard series maybe the last of both the series and Bruce Willis. It's because Willis' age which is now in his mid 50's. So, it'd be hard to imagine if Bruce Willis will play the role of John McLane again after this 5th installment. I predict it wouldn't be much boring, since the plot I read from the online media is about kidnapping and terrorism which is the current issue in the world. This 5th installment will not be much different from the 4th : Live Free or Die Hard (A.K.A Die Hard 4.0). I just wonder maybe the fate of this movie, if compared to James Bond series, will be quite similar to A View To A Kill, with 57-year-old Roger Moore took the Bond Role for the last time.
  • I was led to believe they were to do another after this believe it or not

There's no reason why Willis can't go on, so long as it's not as McClane, Eastwood kept making films into his 70's and beyond and still did an honorable job of it

But whichever way you look at it, Die Hard V is stretching things a bit, it's going the same way as the 'Rocky' series, you have to know when enough is enough
    This fifth installment of Die Hard series maybe the last of both the series and Bruce Willis. It's because Willis' age which is now in his mid 50's. So, it'd be hard to imagine if Bruce Willis will play the role of John McLane again after this 5th installment.
    Willis has said he'd like to do a sixth, and then put DIE HARD to rest.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    This fifth installment of Die Hard series maybe the last of both the series and Bruce Willis. It's because Willis' age which is now in his mid 50's. So, it'd be hard to imagine if Bruce Willis will play the role of John McLane again after this 5th installment.
    I don't think so. Look at Stallone, he did Rambo and is now doing another one, he's in his mid to late 60's. Arnold, who's in his 60's, is also coming back to film.
    Both, including Willis, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, and many others are going to be in "The Expendables 2". Check it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1764651/

Many probably say ney, but I say yey!
    More plot details have emerged (I don't have a link, sorry): McClane is in Russia, because his son, John Jnr., has managed to get himself in some trouble with the local police over a minor matter. McClane is trying to sweet-talk (McClane? Sweet-talk?) them into letting him go. However, once he gets into the prison to visit his son, the break-out/take-over/riot starts up, and McClane starts to realise that John Jnr.'s problems with the Russians may not be as minor as first thought.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044428?categoryid=13&amp;cs=1&amp;cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

So, who's going to get the role of McClane's son? I sure hope they don't take over anything. Die Hard should end after the sixth film just as Willis wants. And LOL at the link, no one will be taking over Indiana Jones.
    These films are beginning to become a bit of a joke,they should have kept it as a trilogy and stopped after Die Hard 3.
    They should have stopped after 1. I liked the first one but had no interest in the others. Where's the creativity in Hollywood? These days and how old is Bruce Willis? must be pushing 56?
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 303
    I have seen Die Hard, Die Hard 3, and Die Hard 4.0, and i loved each one of them, and have no complaints on the fourth one, i find it hugely exciting. I am still yet to see Die Hard 2: Die Harder. I would happily go to see a fifth one, even if they ARE ruining the series (I mean, there's nothing we can do about it) :/
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm gonna go see this movie for 2 reasons:

1.) I loved the other 4.
    2.) I love the title.