What are you reading?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Next time, read the book with your eyes shut.

Here, found the trailer. Looks as poor as I remember it to be.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GOOD GRIEF.

I think I'll stick with the written word, Lee Marvin notwithstanding. Thanks for digging that up, though!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Invisible Man - H G Wells. SF Materworks imprint. Classic bit of sic-fi.

Great book..ive read it several times and just love it.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Can't see it myself !.
    Oh very good... :-j
    barryt007 wrote: »

Great book..ive read it several times and just love it.

'bout half-way through, really enjoying it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,985
    Finally got Some Kind Of Hero - The Remarkable Story Of The James Bond Films - Matthew Field and Ajay Chowdhury

Just started it and enjoying it a lot. Not enjoying carrying the massive thing to work in my Man bag though!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Just started Martin Cruz Smith's Gorky Park and I'm thoroughly gripped. It is gruesome as heck, though.

Yes, I got that one recently too. A lot of spy thrillers in the same red leather-bound editions for 50p a pop. Will look magnificent on bookshelf! I'm very cultured, don't you know?! :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Just started Martin Cruz Smith's Gorky Park and I'm thoroughly gripped. It is gruesome as heck, though.

Yes, I got that one recently too. A lot of spy thrillers in the same red leather-bound editions for 50p a pop. Will look magnificent on bookshelf! I'm very cultured, don't you know?! :)

Jealous. Mine was just a Kindle deal of the day.

Gorky Park is, incidentally, one of the very few books my parents decided to hide when I hit the stage of randomly reading anything in the house, and I can see why.

Gorky Park is, incidentally, one of the very few books my parents decided to hide when I hit the stage of randomly reading anything in the house, and I can see why.

Goodness. It must be pretty graphic then!
    Finally got Some Kind Of Hero - The Remarkable Story Of The James Bond Films - Matthew Field and Ajay Chowdhury

Just started it and enjoying it a lot. Not enjoying carrying the massive thing to work in my Man bag though!

It's a great read my friend. I thoroughly enjoyed it! :-bd

My parents' bookshelves were pretty light on anything too penny-dreadful, to be fair. But yes, yes it is, certainly at the start.
    THE SORCERESS (La Sorciere) by Jules Michelet (1862)

My parents' bookshelves were pretty light on anything too penny-dreadful, to be fair. But yes, yes it is, certainly at the start.

I've always meant to read it at some point so owning a nice copy of it will be a good start in that direction.
    I have never read The Diamond Smugglers nor Thrilling Cities, but I suspect they are both worthwhile?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,622
    James Patterson presents Stalking Jack The Ripper, 2016 by Kerri Maniscalco

First book by this young woman.
    Bit of a slog, but I like reading authors fictional takes on the gruesome mystery-horror that were the Ripper murders.
    Last one I read, "I Ripper" was a real ripper of a read!
    This tale is not as gripping but still intriguing.
    I've never read either of those Fleming titles either.
    Probably because they are non-Bond and non-fiction, even if I did diligently hunt down all the Fleming Bond titles as an adolescent.
    I did read "007 in New York"
    Will have to grab those books soon. It is time.
    ==
    Meanwhile in Whitechapel,

Amazing how a well penned back-cover blurb can
    demand that a book be read!

'He murdered women in cold blood.
    He terrorized an entire city.
    He taunted those of us who hunted him down.
    But despite all these horrors, in the end, I could not deny it.....

I WAS THE GIRL WHO LOVED
    THE RIPPER
    :-O

OK, I'm hooked. Bring it on! Back to Whitechapel we go!
    Roadwork by Richard Bachman [aka Stephen King] Third of the Bachman books. A man's world goes to shit as a highway is built through his home and workplace.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,546
    STAR WARS: AFTERMATH LIFE DEBT

ne4ofhqtytph5hwimd8c.png

Chuck Wendig continues his story from STAR WARS: AFTERMATH with this middle part of his trilogy. Seemingly having taken into account the many criticisms his writings have had to endure with the release of part 1, the prose in LIFE DEBT is a lot stronger than before.

And the plot thickens. The post-Endor status quo seems quite unstable for both the New Republic and the Imperial Remnants. We team up with our heroes from the last novel but run into Han, Leia and Chewie too. Quite frequently I might add. We encounter characters from THE FORCE AWAKENS and build some tension around the future of Admiral Sloane, a character from STAR WARS REBELS and two previous books in the new canon.

Chuck Wendig is no Timothy Zahn and AFTERMATH, so far, proves no competition for Zahn's HEIR TO THE EMPIRE novels, now exiled to the 'Legends' label. But I blew through the last 380 pages in one day and am now most eager to move on to the final part, so I guess I really like where this thing is going.

3/5
    Cujo (1981) Stephen King. BFD (big friendly dog) gets bitten by rabid bats goes ape-shit! Set in Castle Rock, Maine.
    There is a lot of weird stuff going on in Castle Rock.
    Tell me about it!
    Castle Rock tourist board have their work cut-out. :))
    Oh I remember Cujo. First Stephen King I read. Did not read many but it was a good one and pretty clever use of a simple idea.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Cujo (1981) Stephen King. BFD (big friendly dog) gets bitten by rabid bats goes ape-shit! Set in Castle Rock, Maine.

That's a great book. Read it in one sitting which is almost unheard of for me!

Firestarter is also a fantastic novel. I think this period was King at his best.

Although Pet Semetary is my favourite.
    Prussian Blue Bernie Gunthers' 12th outing as General Heydrichs favorite policeman send to solve a murder in Berchtesgarden, Adolfs stomping ground, while another story-thread takes place in 1956 where the Stasi wants Bernie yo assassinate somebody in London and Bernie is not willing to.

This whole series is actually really well written through real historical facts and gives an insight in the hypocrisy of the Nazis as well as the allied forces post WWII.

That's a great book. Read it in one sitting which is almost unheard of for me!

Firestarter is also a fantastic novel. I think this period was King at his best.

Although Pet Semetary is my favourite.

Having a big King re-read at the mo - though am reading other stuff every so often. Next up will be Bachman's The Running Man. Great book, piss-poor film
    MALLEUS MALEFICARUM

Written by James Sprenger and Henry Kramer in 1486.
    King is so very readable. I've burned through all his recent titles. Got hooked with the JFK book, so I'm late to the party, but I did read The Dark Half way back, and recently have also read Salem's Lot and the first two Gunslingers.

Finished Ripper book. Ripper again caught and destroyed. Whew!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Been picking my way through King's two most recent short story collections: JUST AFTER SUNSET and THE BAZAAR OF BAD DREAMS. Not nearly as good as his earlier collections—more of a focus on the quality of prose than quality of imagination, and generally far longer stories than they need to be—but King occasionally still surprises.

Last year I was voraciously consuming his 21st Century novels on audiobook while chronologically reading through his debut novels in paperback. At the moment, however, I'm thinking of jumping ahead to IT for obvious reasons.