BBC Programme: Mark Lawson Talks To... - Diana Rigg

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited February 2012 in News Posts: 13,350
There's only three days left to watch this and an international version would be needed for those outside the UK but this is a recent (less than week old) interview with Diana Rigg where she actually discusses <i>On Her Majesty's Secret Service</i>. Something she hasn't done for years - if ever, as far as I know. Enjoy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0155b4t/Mark_Lawson_Talks_To..._Diana_Rigg/

EDIT: Here it is:

Comments

since i cant see it i hope that somoene please tells what was said it would be most interesting to see what she said
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Not an awful lot. Only that Lazenby was a pain off-set, due to him thinking he was already a film star, which she felt lead to his undoing in Bond as well as his whole career though she does say she thought Lazenby had the right Bond look and everything, even thinking he did well acting wise. She can get why Lazenby "wasn't offered sequels", though we know he was but that's a different story. Rigg also states she doesn't regret her part in On Her Majesty's Secret Service at all and recognises what it brought her later career. That and The Avengers.
  • Yes, apparently there was some genuine ill feeling between Lazenby and Rigg while filming was ongoing

Lazenby really had big shoes to fill after Connery left the franchise in '67 (before he was coaxed back for a then astronomical sum to reappear in Diamonds four years later)

I thought this was an interesting piece I saw

http://www.hmss.com/films/lazenby/
    well if i remember correctly dana broccoli mentioned that lazemby wanted special treatment cause he said that he was a "star" she had to tell him that it is not you that makes you the star its the people that do
    so i think in the filming in the bond film it was tough to film w a so called film star when he wanted things done his way it seems while rigg had been doing acting much longer
    Rigg and Lazenby had a relationship while filming, didn't they?
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 44
    She said that Lazenby didn't get offered anymore films. I always thought that he was offered a contract for 4 more films and his agent told him to turn it down as Bond would not last into the 70's?

I still maintain that if Lazenby had done at least a 2nd film and therefore a sequel to O.H.M.S.S, then he would have been regarded as one of the best and we would all be saying 'Sean who' now. Connery was terrible after Goldfinger IMO and Moore was after MR, yet they get all the plaudits because they did the most films.

Diana Rigg was one of the best Bond girls also and played her role brilliantly. Together with the excellent soundtrack and a great actor as the villain, you have a great package.

It really is the greatest shame/missed oportunity of the franchise that Lazenby did not do another film and not build on the O.H.M.S.S story and make a sequel where he tracks down and kills Blofeld with perhaps Telly Savalas coming back too.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Rigg and Lazenby had a relationship while filming, didn't they?
    No, I don't believe they did.
    She said that Lazenby didn't get offered anymore films. I always thought that he was offered a contract for 4 more films and his agent told him to turn it down as Bond would not last into the 70's?
    Yes, you're right, he was offered more films, Rigg got that one wrong!