Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    I actually found it a disappointment in comparison to IV. The satire of the game is brilliant, as is Trevor, but those moments can't save a game alone for me. Tonally, Niko's journey was more up my alley.
    IV is actually my least favorite of the whole GTA bunch. The story was incredible, as were the characters, but the game itself just fell flat to me. It wasn't nearly as fun to play as the others. Once I finished IV's story I don't think I ever played it again. V was weaker on the story but the atmosphere was excellent. It created a dynamic world that I felt like I was really living in. It's honestly one of the most technically impressive achievements in history. As for online, I love it and it's kept me playing the game fairly consistently for almost four (four?! wow) years now, but I can see what others might not like about it.

Being the worst GTA game means it's better than 99% of every other game though, so it's not really a bad thing.

Vice City is still the GOAT of GTA too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @TheSharkFromJaws, I get that. From an emotional standpoint IV is exhausting, and the usual fun and wackiness of a regular GTA is replaced with a lot of introspection, betrayal, guilt, tragedy, etc, with massively consequential choices to make.

It takes a lot out of you by the end, no matter what ending you choose, and I think for some it could make them reluctant to revisit the story again only to feel those things one more time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    The Punisher (X Box)
    I've just encountered, and seen off, The Russian for the second time. Another superb 6th generation game.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    So, I know I'm severely late to the party, but a friend suggested that I buy Skyrim. Is there a PS3 edition that has all the DLC?
    Skyrim! Late or not that's an absolute must play. I've put days into the PS3 version and bought the new PS4 version that I've put even more time into. As mentioned, I'm pretty sure there is a DLC-included version out there. Hope you get it and hope you love it. I'm a little envious that you have a chance to play it the first time.

Yeah, I sorta fell out of Elder Scrolls games with Oblivion. I just wasn't a big fan of that one. I'm told Skyrim is far superior, so I'll probably pick it up when I've got the cash.
    I've been on a Resident Evil kick since 7 came out. I beat 7 multiple times, went back to play through 4, and now I'm playing the first (which is still the greatest game ever made and I am open to fighting anyone that says otherwise).

Original or Remake of the first game? The Remake is the best survival horror game and best Resident Evil game ever made, but there is a certain charm to the original.
    @TheSharkFromJaws, I get that. From an emotional standpoint IV is exhausting, and the usual fun and wackiness of a regular GTA is replaced with a lot of introspection, betrayal, guilt, tragedy, etc, with massively consequential choices to make.

It takes a lot out of you by the end, no matter what ending you choose, and I think for some it could make them reluctant to revisit the story again only to feel those things one more time.

My biggest problem with GTA IV wasn't its story. I adored its story, though GTA3 has my absolute favorite GTA story. My problem with GTA IV was the utter lack of interesting things to do in its world. Most of the time, if I wasn't doing the main story, I'd just pick a spot, fire up the cheats and kill as many cops as possible until I died.
    The Punisher (X Box)
    I've just encountered, and seen off, The Russian for the second time. Another superb 6th generation game.

An excellent game that needs an HD remaster, but probably won't get one.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Play Elder Scrolls on Xbox One occasionally with DLC, I am a gamer who plays without paying attention to names and detail I just try to win.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    The Punisher (X Box)

I think the same of other games of the time as well:

Bloodrayne / Bloodrayne 2
    Bond (Agent Under Fire / Nightfire / Everything Or Nothing)
    Cold Winter
    Colin McRae Rally: 2005
    Conflict: Desert Storm / Conflict: Desert Storm 2 / Conflict: Viet Nam / Conflict: Global Storm)
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Gran Turismo 4
    SpyHunter
    Terminator: Redemption
    The Operative: No One Lives Forever

To be fair, some of those games (Gran Turismo 4) still hold up today.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @ClarkDevlin, one of my biggest gripes with GTA V is actually the dynamics between Michael, Trevor and Franklin. There's some good moments, but often I was just getting pissed off, confused or disappointed in what was being written. Michael seemed to be a very callous, self-centered and disloyal ass, and Franklin too often allowed himself to be manipulated into being a slave for others when he should've seen trouble coming a mile away. One of the reasons why I liked Trevor was because he was one of the only characters with an actual backbone that didn't do anything he didn't want to do, and he never went back on his word. Like he says to Michael, the difference between them is he knows exactly who he is, while Michael is constantly lying to people.

At the end of the game, I was wondering why they were even friends. There wasn't a chemistry, and realistically they shouldn't be able to stand each other. I could understand their reason for coming together in the missions simply because friends help friends, but they never felt like they were bros in that way in the first place. I just think the writing could've been a lot more rounded for the characters, instead of jaggy as it is.

In IV, I don't find that issue. Niko isn't really friends with anyone, or just a few people. He joins up with people because they're a means to an end, and he needs to tolerate them to get what he ultimately wants. Obviously that game has a lot of player choice, so everyone handles the game differently at times, but that's just how I saw it and played it. The people he did like, including Little Jacob, Packie and Kate, felt like more genuine characters too, and their relationships were natural too. But again, part of my issue could be because V is all about satirized things and characters (resulting in wacky caricature), whereas IV reigned that in for a lot of the main cast and therefore made the characters more realistic.
    I definitely get you there, Brady. But, then again, it's a GTA character we're talking about. Michael, like Ken Rosenberg from Vice City, is a conniving liar and thief, and a psychotic killer like any other GTA lead character, except for a few (CJ, Nico and Franklin are good-hearted from that standpoint). The storyline isn't the best there is out there, but Grand Theft Auto V feels more like a callback to the 3D Universe GTA's rather than the emotional and down-to-earth plot IV carried, which is why I found the latter of the mentioned ones out of place when it comes to GTA. But, it's hell of a game.

Like Shark said up there, however, the gameplay sometimes is a pain down the rear. Something that was fixed with V and made more enjoyable. The cars are less of slippery ones, better controls, friendlier to interact with whilst carrying the soul of the old fashioned shooters. Something I love about the game a lot.

No arguments about Trevor, though. He does know how to stand his ground no matter what, as opposed to Michael who just gave in to Devin Weston upon the first mention of the movie business. And it blew up to his face later on (not there yet, but I remember it from the first play).
    I actually found it a disappointment in comparison to IV. The satire of the game is brilliant, as is Trevor, but those moments can't save a game alone for me. Tonally, Niko's journey was more up my alley.
    IV is actually my least favorite of the whole GTA bunch. The story was incredible, as were the characters, but the game itself just fell flat to me. It wasn't nearly as fun to play as the others. Once I finished IV's story I don't think I ever played it again. V was weaker on the story but the atmosphere was excellent. It created a dynamic world that I felt like I was really living in. It's honestly one of the most technically impressive achievements in history. As for online, I love it and it's kept me playing the game fairly consistently for almost four (four?! wow) years now, but I can see what others might not like about it.

Being the worst GTA game means it's better than 99% of every other game though, so it's not really a bad thing.

Vice City is still the GOAT of GTA too.
    Agreed 100%!

Vice City is my favourite too! That game defined the GTA for my own! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Brady.

It might be "controversial," but I was heavily disappointed in the overall story/physics/playability of the fifth installment after the brilliant Liberty City-set 'Grand Theft Auto IV.' Hell, that was probably my favorite game ever.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Punisher (X Box)

I think the same of other games of the time as well:

Bloodrayne / Bloodrayne 2
    Bond (Agent Under Fire / Nightfire / Everything Or Nothing)
    Cold Winter
    Colin McRae Rally: 2005
    Conflict: Desert Storm / Conflict: Desert Storm 2 / Conflict: Viet Nam / Conflict: Global Storm)
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Gran Turismo 4
    SpyHunter
    Terminator: Redemption
    The Operative: No One Lives Forever

To be fair, some of those games (Gran Turismo 4) still hold up today.

Grand Theft Auto 3 had a bit of an upscale. It's available on the PS4's PSN slightly upscaled.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Creasy47, I certainly had fun with GTA V and think it's a great open world, but the years since its release has worn off its novelty and it doesn't give me the experience GTA IV did, which was actually the first game I ever played on my PS3 the night I got it. My love for it goes beyond the nostalgia, though.

This video analysis I found a while back pretty much backs up why I prefer IV in so many ways:

IV was simply programmed so much better, with a more realistic and responsive sense of movement and more genuine and impactful interactions with the game world and NPCs. The physics of IV were also endlessly superior, whereas the dynamic rolling, crash damage and other elements are largely absent or restricted to meekness in V. For these many reasons, I think V is very overrated.
    I recall my excitement for 'Grand Theft Auto V,' and how it slowly dwindled a week or so before release, when I kept seeing early gameplay walkthroughs where the car crashes looked horribly unrealistic and the driving seemed rather stiff. Sure enough, it looked that way because it WAS that way, and I was immediately disappointed with the end product, seeing that they scrapped the driving mechanics/crash physics from its predecessor.

They need to remaster (or simply re-release) that game on the PS4, so I can play it until the end of time. Not sure if any other previously released single-player game has ever gotten the playtime out of me that that one did.
    @Creasy47, GTA IV was probably one of the main games that really forged my love for open world sandboxes. I'm with you in that I lost hours at a time to it. I probably have a month's worth of hours logged, last time I checked.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I wish I still had my old 360/copy of GTA IV so I could see just how many hundreds of hours I sunk into that. I'd say several years after release, there were days that I could still easily sink five or more hours into playing it, goofing off and driving around the city.

Damn it, now I'm really interested in playing this one again.
    Grab a cheap 360 or PS3 off Ebay or Amazon. Or, it's backwards compatible now on Xbone.
    Grab a cheap 360 or PS3 off Ebay or Amazon. Or, it's backwards compatible now on Xbone.

One of the reasons I've debated picking up an XB1 one day, so I can enjoy all the excellent 360 titles, while subsequently trying out the few Xbox Exclusives that look entertaining to me. Perhaps one day, I've got quite the backlog.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Original or Remake of the first game? The Remake is the best survival horror game and best Resident Evil game ever made, but there is a certain charm to the original.
    My bad, I meant the remake. The Gamecube version that was given a PS4 remaster.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    DOOM

I can't believe I only paid £15 new for this. It's bloody amazing.
    @Mallory, did you check out the Playstation Critic's Choice sale too?
  • I wonder if San Andreas is available on PC
    It is. $15 on Steam.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Just ordered San Andreas PC edition from Amazon for £8, hopefully I'll be able to configure my Xbox controller to the game.

Edited: Canceled order as got the download for £3 cheaper, thanks for the tip.

Playing GTA San Andreas on PC wow this is a flashback
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 2,056
    @Mallory, did you check out the Playstation Critic's Choice sale too?

Not yet. I still have Battlefield 1 and Watch Dogs 2 to finish, as well as Hitman Season 1, and Mirrors Edge Catalyst to Platinum (currently at 87%).

Oh, and I also want to play Horizon Zero Dawn...

Need a time machine.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    maxresdefault.jpg

Picked up my copy last night and got a couple hours in. It's incredibly fun. I'm at work right now waiting to get through my 8 hour shift so I can get back to this game.
  • GTA V Xbox One just bought it though have to start story mode from scratch, it appears Rockstar Social club only allows transfer of online character. Oh well will be fun playing through the game again
    GTA V Xbox One just bought it though have to start story mode from scratch, it appears Rockstar Social club only allows transfer of online character. Oh well will be fun playing through the game again

Unfortunately, you can now only transfer online characters from next-gen consoles, as they recently disabled the ability to transfer profiles from the 360/PS3.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    GTA V Xbox One just bought it though have to start story mode from scratch, it appears Rockstar Social club only allows transfer of online character. Oh well will be fun playing through the game again

Unfortunately, you can now only transfer online characters from next-gen consoles, as they recently disabled the ability to transfer profiles from the 360/PS3.

Think I was slow to get the game @Brady mentioned this also oh well, the game does look good on Xbox One I can see differences from the 360 version immediately.

@fire_and_ice, I'm pretty sure this just happened a couple of weeks ago, max, so definitely a case of bad timing. It isn't a big deal if you're more focused on the single player, and I believe either way, you'll have a lot of new single-player vehicles and weapons to enjoy that they've added through updates over the year (such as the return of my favorite car from GTA IV, the Dukes).
  • @Creasy47 I opted for the light version though will no doubt purchase DLC at some point, for the most part I like jumping of ramps I probably only got about 20 per cent of story mode completed on 360.
    @fire_and_ice, I haven't fired the game up in a good, long while, but I don't believe there's any DLC you can purchase. The only sort of microtransaction that comes to mind involves the Shark Cards, which are in-game currency utilized in the Online portion that you can purchase with real money.

Sadly, that's why I don't play the online, really: you'd honestly have to grind a few dozen hours of gameplay to get some of the online rewards (no fun in that), or you can shell out a stupid amount of real money (definitely no fun in that) to purchase them immediately. It's a dumb, forced decision either way you tackle it.
  • @Creasy47 Interesting cheers for that I'll play the story mode for a while it's pretty smooth game with lots of touches 360 never had, the city scape looks great on 4K TV.