False memories in Bond

edited March 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 562
I was reading the 'nudity in TLD' thread (hilarious btw) and about how people were convinced Dolly had braces and it gave me the idea for this.

Have you had a memory from a Bond film and then in later years watched the film again and realised you are mistaken. Right now I can think of two examples.

FYEO was a film I watched when I was young and didn't watch for many years afterwards. I though that there was a more prolonged battle at the monastery with Kriegler leading a counter attack. You can imagine my disappointment upon rewatching. There wasn't even a good fight between Bond and Kriegler.

In OHMSS, when Bond enters fake Ruby's room, I thought there was a shot of Bunt (before the jump scare) lying with her back to Bond so we can see her face. I was so sure of that I thought it must have been edited out of the tv broadcast.

I also don't remember Brosnan's films having so many cheesy innuendoes but that's just because when I was younger the jokes flew right over my head

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I thought Tiffany put out her cigarette ON Bond's chest! Later on (years) I realized there was a clear ashtray there. I feel like an idiot; I don't know vat to say....
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    For quite some time I thought NSNA was a Bond movie like the others. I only learned after GoldenEye that it wasn't an official one.
    Guilty as charge. OP. When Bond kills the second twin. In my memory, Mishka or Grishka says: "You kill my brother!" and then Bond says: "Yes, and you should join him" then throws the knife straight to the guy's heart.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    For quite some time I thought NSNA was a Bond movie like the others.

Snap!!

• That's a lack of knowledge lol, not a misremembrance.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That's a lack of knowledge lol, not a misremembrance.

True, but that was the closest to the topic I could think of :))

Something I did remember wrong though, I believed that the blonde Russian female spy in A View To A Kill was the same character as in From Russia With Love. Back a long time ago when I only had seen most of the Bond movies a couple of times.
    And I thought Felix Leiter had been killed in LTK.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    When I saw Moonraker on TV for the second time (some time in the mid-90s on ITV, with a news break for the six o'clock news in the middle) I was sure Bond said "Fairly unpleasant diary" instead of "Fairly deadly diary". It was only when I got the film on video that I saw my mistake!
    Ludovico wrote: »
    And I thought Felix Leiter had been killed in LTK.

Well I suppose you were not entirely wrong there as metaphorically speaking Leiter was killed off at least as a character until the reboot provided a chance for his return limbs intact.
    That's a lack of knowledge lol, not a misremembrance.

In my defence, I was only 10 at the time so didn't know better.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I never knew Marty Mcfly's Dad was Mr Wint's son.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's a weird one. This memory either came from a dream or my mind was tripping on mental LSD. I falsely remembered a moment in one of the Moore films. where there is an onlooker in the street who has a mental breakdown and the screen flashes on the onlookers face like some trippy 70's movie. And another memory I had I believe has a connection to FYEO. Bond was tracking down a villain called "The Nerd" and in my memory I believe it was a weak recollection of Loque. I don't remember how old I was during this time but it was weird.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Here's a weird one. This memory either came from a dream or my mind was tripping on mental LSD. I falsely remembered a moment in one of the Moore films. where there is an onlooker in the street who has a mental breakdown and the screen flashes on the onlookers face like some trippy 70's movie. And another memory I had I believe has a connection to FYEO. Bond was tracking down a villain called "The Nerd" and in my memory I believe it was a weak recollection of Loque. I don't remember how old I was during this time but it was weird.

lol, I was thinking a bit more prosaic than that, but they are pretty funny and wacky. Some of the things we can get in our heads when we are too young to fully understand can be quite frightening. Is that what happened here do you think?
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a version of FRWL where Connery's quip 'She's had her kicks' is delivered over the shot of the slumped, dead Klebb rather than as Bond is getting his breath back on the chair. I suppose its a false memory - or else ITV had a funky print for their 1980's broadcasts.
    Murdock wrote: »

lol, I was thinking a bit more prosaic than that, but they are pretty funny and wacky. Some of the things we can get in our heads when we are too young to fully understand can be quite frightening. Is that what happened here do you think?

Haha your guess is as good as mine. I saw quite a few Bond movies at a young age. I first saw GoldenEye when I was 6 but that never did anything to me. I remember seeing most of Roger's movies not long after I think as a kid they all blurred together. I remember Jaws's jump scare scaring me as a kid. LALD, TMWTGG and MR I could remember most. The others were a blur until I rewatched the movies years later as I only owned the Brosnan films at the time. It's possible I could have seen some trippy movie on tv and mistook it for a Bond film. I think my second memory was just a very poor recollection of FYEO. I clearly remembered the red Lotus but remembered the Identigraph scene taking place in the Lotus itself. Similar to Bond getting data on Xenia and the Yacht from his DB5 dash printer. I saw a lot of iconic movies at a pretty young age. I was probably too young to see a lot of them but It didn't mess me up any except for maybe Robocop 1 and 2. :))
    When I was a kid I remembered Octopussy's gunbarrel having the mid section Bond theme riff a'la SkyFall and Dr No. In actual fact I had seen Dr No on ABC a few days before we saw OP in the cinema and got the themes mixed up.
    When I was very young I was convinced Jane Fonda was in Live and Let Die later I realised I must have heard that Jane Fonda full name is Jane Seymour Fonda when young, and thought they were the same person. After watching Barberella I realised they were two different people :x
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I thought Tiffany put out her cigarette ON Bond's chest! Later on (years) I realized there was a clear ashtray there. I feel like an idiot; I don't know vat to say....
    ha ha I thought the same, on VHS it really was not that clear.

Another memory I have, again relates to Never Say Never Again, is that I am sure that one day, walking past my local cinema in Lancaster and I swear that Never Say Never Again and Octopussy were both showing at the same time. A poster for both in the display. To this day I say it's true.......
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Some people do know about this one because I raised it in the questions thread but I was certain that Bond tried to shoot himself in TLD when he is all frantic after Kara drugs him.

And I still see it when I watch that scene. The way he lifts the gun to his own head like that and how desperate he is in that scene...

EDIT: Maybe that's what you're looking for, Scaramanga?
    Another memory I have, again relates to Never Say Never Again, is that I am sure that one day, walking past my local cinema in Lancaster and I swear that Never Say Never Again and Octopussy were both showing at the same time. A poster for both in the display. To this day I say it's true.......

I went to uni in Lancaster :)
    Birdleson wrote: »

Not impossible. Films used to stay in theatres much longer back then. Sometimes for six months to a year if they were popular. You probably did see. Especially if it was an independent theatre.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in remembering that, so really it's probably not a false memory. It's something I've said about these films for years to my nearest and dearest.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I went to uni in Lancaster :)

Fantastic. A great university by all accounts.....................not that I ever got anywhere near a university myself.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Until I watched it again when it reached the Telly. In TSWLM, I always remembered
    the fight on the Egyptian rooftop ended with Bond's tie fraying, finally snapping
    sending Sandor off the roof and not Bond swiping him away. :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,786
    Some time after seeing AVTAK for the first time (on ITV on I think May Day 1995) I thought that Patrick Macnee had actually played Scarpine perhaps instead of a goodie!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    (on ITV on I think May Day 1995)

How appropriate!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    (on ITV on I think May Day 1995)

How appropriate!

Indeed, that's what I thought when I first watched it. ITV clearly had much more of a sense of humour back in those days.
    I bet they still butchered the films back then though as well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    When I watched The Spy Who Loved Me for the first time, I seemed to remember it was Caroline Munro's Naomi character who was with Bond in the Lotus. Then again, I was only five years old.
    There was a time where I thought GoldenEye was the very first Bond movie.
    I can't really speak for my classmates as most of them had different interests than me, but my very first exposure to Bond was the GoldenEye videogame then I saw the movie not long after. It gave me and my dad something to really, no pun intended Bond over. It wasn't until I think TND came out on video that I discovered the older films. No regrets there.