Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    PTS: SP
    Title Track: FRWL
    Title Credits: SP
    Main Villain: FRWL
    Main Bond Girl: FRWL
    Henchman: FRWL
    Overall Plot: FRWL
    Dialogue: FRWL
    Score: FRWL
    Settings: FRWL
    Action: FRWL
    Humour: FRWL
    Cinematography: FRWL
    Benign Bizarre: FRWL
    Suspense: FRWL
    Minor Characters: FRWL
    Glamour: FRWL
    Bond Performance: FRWL

FRWL: 16
    SP: 2

Nothing can top FRWL.
  • Well, this wasn't particularly close. FRWL runs away with it, at a score of 217-35. Now onto Goldfinger. I doubt SP will do that well, but I suppose there's nowhere to go but up!

PTS: GF
    Title Track: GF
    Title Credits: GF (I have an odd soft spot for the images projected on gold ladies)
    Main Villain: GF
    Main Bond Girl: GF
    Henchman: GF
    Overall Plot: GF
    Dialogue: GF
    Score: GF
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP
    Humour: GF
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: GF
    Suspense: GF (laser table scene>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>chair torture scene)
    Minor Characters: GF
    Glamour: GF
    Bond Performance: GF

Once again, Spectre loses by a margin of 15-3. Maybe it will fare better in your scorecards!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Main Bond Girl: SP (I love Pussy, but damn those eyes of Dr. Swann..)
    Action: GF
    Suspense: GF

GF - 14
    SP - 4

Once again SP doesn't hold a candle to the 60's classics.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Title Credits:GF
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Cinematography: GF

GF - 14
    SP - 4
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

GF: 14
    SP: 4
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,483
    PTS: SP--Always found GF's PTS overrated. And Bond's "duckhead" may be the first incursion of true silliness in the series. SP, OTOH, features a stunning opening shot of a giant skeleton with a cigar and tophat, the bizarre Dia de los Muertos celebration, snappy percussion scoring from Newman, and the tremendous helecopter fight over the frenzied crowds of Mexico City. Not even close.

Title Track: GF--Also not even close. "Goldfinger" bids fair to be the greatest Bond title track of them all while Smith's dismal jeremiad is strictly bottom-tier stuff.

Title Credits: SP--GF's credits are fairly uninspired, while the horrific black octopus topped with the death's head is imagery I won't soon forget. Kleinman produces another winner and is getting close to surpassing Binder as Bond's best filmic artist.

Main Villain: GF--Frobe's Goldfinger is tremendous and exceedingly well written. Waltz's Blofeld is not bad, but he's no Goldfinger either.

Main Bond Girl: SP--Honor Blackmon is a competent and attractive actress, but Leah Seydoux...whew! She's got the nicest bum in all of Bond.

Henchman: SP--Like GF's PTS, I consider Oddjob overrated. Sakata just isn't menacing enough. Dave Bautista is. At a bare minimum Hinx is the most physically imposing henchman, surpassing even Jaws.

Overall Plot: GF--I really like the idea of SPECTRE terrorizing governments into joining 9 Eyes, but Fleming's plot, augmented and improved by Maibaum and Dehn, is one of the best.

Dialogue: GF--SP has plenty of terrific dialogue, including most of what transpires between Bond and Dr. Swann, that between Bond and C, and between Bond and Mr. White as well. But GF's dialogue is so snappy, suave and subtle, that it ranks among the best in the series.

Score: GF--No comparison here. Barry's GF is bombastic, but it's also undeniable tuneful. Most of what Newman contributes to SP is generic.

Settings: SP--I actually like Kentucky and Auric Stud, but SP's North African settings are simply marvelous.

Action: SP--None of GF's action stands out to me, unless one consider's 007 on the laser table action. SP, OTOH features the helicopter fight, the Rome chase, and the Bond/Hinx punch-up. And that's more than enough to top GF here.

Humour: GF--Contrary to most viewers, it seems, I don't see a great deal of intentional humor in SP, although I do love DC's frustrated "Well, does it DO anything?" when presented the watch by Q. GF's humor, OTOH, is sparkling. Q's "I never joke about my work," and Bond's "Such lovely sport," are classic moments of dry, Bondian humor at its best.

Cinematography: SP--There's nothing all that special in GF's cinematography, and certainly nothing comparable to SP's PTS, the entire Rome sequence, and the whole of North Africa.

Benign Bizarre: SP--GF has its fair share, but SP's title credits, Dia de los Muertos, and Blofeld's crater--with a nice nod to DN and YOLT--make SP very strong in this category.

Suspense: GF--One of GF's strong suits, but a bit of a weakness for SP. Bond's torture at Blofeld's hands is SP's true climax, and what transpires in London is rather old hat and a bit of a letdown.

Minor Characters: SP--SP clearly wins this one with C and Mr. White.

Glamour: SP--There's little in GF that is truly glamorous, while Rome and the faded glory of L'Americain and Tangier ring the bell for SP.

Bond Performance: GF--Pretty close, but Seanery is virtually faultless in GF. I do like DC's cocky nonchalance in SP, though.

GF: 8
    SP: 10
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Title Credits: GF

GF: 16
    SF: 2
    Settings: GF

GF: 17
    SF: 1
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,400
    PTS: S
    Title Credits: S
    Main Bond Girl: S
    Henchman: S
    Overall Plot: S
    Dialogue: S
    Settings: S
    Action: S
    Humour: S
    Cinematography: S
    Benign Bizarre: S
    Suspense: S
    Bond Performance: S

S: 13
    GF: 5
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Humour: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP

GF: 13
    SP: 5
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Goldfinger vs Spectre

Main Bond Girl:SP
    Minor Characters:GF

• PTS: SP
    Glamour: SP

GF: 12
    SP: 6

GF: 15
    SP: 3

Minor Characters: SP

GF: 10
    SP: 8
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Finally this thread stumbles onto the next film. 6 months and we're only up to GF. Is the plan to string this out until B25 isreleased?

PTS: GF - Close to the perfect embodiment of the cinematic Bond. Bit of spy stuff, outrageous stylish wink to the audience with the tux reveal, a bird, a brutal fight, a quip and then aural kick in the bollocks as he closes the door and the first few bars of the song kick in. Breathless stuff.

Title Track: GF - Classic Barry/Bassey combo. No shame in losing to this.

Title Credits: SP - Not blown away by either but I'll give Kleinmann the nod here as I find GF's titles quite dull.

Main Villain: GF - Possibly best villain of the series. Whiny old Franz with his daddy issues is not anywhere near.

Main Bond Girl: SP - I know many regard her as classic but I've always found Pussy both annoying and not that fit. Madeline on the other hand.... I'd probably better stop as this is a family forum. Let me just go and watch Blue is the Warmest Colour. Back in a minute. Less if I keep my socks on.

Henchman: GF - Classic embodiment of a Fleming character. Everything Hinx wants to be but better.

Overall Plot: GF - One of the few films to actually improve on Fleming's plot. By having Goldfinger irradiate the gold gets over the implausibility of trying to nick it.

Dialogue: GF - The exchanges between Bond and Goldfinger are all fantastic plus stuff like Goldfinger's briefing, the M and Colonel Smithers scene, even little touches that go unnoticed by most like 'the president was entirely satisfied'. The only weakness is the feeble gangster sterotyping - although you could say that this was only being faithful to Fleming's own hackneyed writing of the hoods dialogue.

Score: GF - I've asked before that you don't annoy me by even considering this as a question until we get to Eric Serra.

Settings: SP - Always prefer Europe to America for Bond. Switzerland is only adequately used and like most Bond films that end up there, the moment the action relocates stateside the film grinds to a halt.

Action: GF - PTS fight, classic DB5, Fort Knox assault, Oddjob fight. Yes there's a long lull in the middle but a lot of these scenes are iconic. There's very little in SP that will go down as such.

Humour: GF - 'Shocking' alone is enough to win this.

Cinematography: SP - Despite the yellow haze I'll give it the nod as there's nothing in GF that matches the lushness of the Rome photography.

Benign Bizarre: GF - Jill painted gold and Oddjob's hat are all you need here.

Suspense: GF - Laser up the jaffas and the bomb countdown deliver the goods far better than Madeline's Penelope Pitstop predicament.

Minor Characters: SP - The minor characters in GF are pretty minor; Col Smithers, Hawker, Mr Solo, Mr Ling. Mr White and Lucia are enough to win this one.

Glamour: SP - Rome Villas and an Austrian mountaintop clinic beat a farm in Kentucky all day long and the Fountainbleu while probably the height of luxury just feels a bit naff.

Bond Performance: GF - As SP seems to be the film where Dan is actively trying to channel Sean in GF you can't really let the homage beat the original.

SP getting closer but it's still struggling to make any serious inroads into the 60s films.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    GF.
  • Finally this thread stumbles onto the next film. 6 months and we're only up to GF. Is the plan to string this out until B25 isreleased?

In fairness, I forgot that it existed for a while. We'll be on a more regular schedule, I promise!
    Finally this thread stumbles onto the next film. 6 months and we're only up to GF. Is the plan to string this out until B25 isreleased?

To be fair he might have to spin this game out for another 5 or 6 years yet.

• edited May 2016 Posts: 4,325

• Have we any final entries?
    I'm going to put my cards on the table. I personally feel that "SPECTRE" is superior to "GOLDFINGER" in nearly every way, except for the score and theme song.
    GF in every aspect SP just doesn't have an original idea or aspect. I would say they shafted Craig with the last two but as he was heavily involved n the last three he can blame nobody but himself.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    PTS: SP - Top quality pre-title sequence in spectre. Actually Craig has four great PT sequences.
    Title Track: GF - If anyone chose Smith over Bassey? Shirley you can't be serious!
    Title Credits: GF - Spectre's weirds me out a little...maybe that was the intention? Hampered by the title song.
    Main Villain: GF - Goldfinger! I'd even take him over Pleasance's Blofeld so he'll certainly get the jump on Waltz's Blofeld.
    Main Bond Girl: GF - Pussy Galore is iconic. And lea Sedoyux has little chemistry with Craig.
    Henchman: GF - I really like Hinx - the best henchman for a long time in the bond series but come on...it's odd job!
    Overall Plot: GF - even though Bond is locked up and behind the eight ball for so long it still feels exciting and tense. And it really does get a big leg up by being based on a Fleming novel.
    Dialogue: GF - Frobe and Connery's banter is perhaps the best villain-vs-hero sparring in the series. Although the White/ Bond scene is my favourite scene in Spectre.
    Score: GF - John Barry's worst would beat Newman's best and this is far from Barry's worst! Dawn Raid on Fort Knox is sublime.
    Settings: SP - I really like the Aston Martin drive in Goldfinger but Spectre's day of the dead, Rome car chase and Alps have it beat.
    Action: SP - There is just a higher quality and ability in action sequences these days.
    Humour: GF - I actually think this is very close. Spectre does humour much better than Skyfall did. But GF shades it.
    Cinematography: SP - while nothing will touch Deakins work on SF - SP is much better than GF.
    Benign Bizarre: SP - this is also close. the golden girl and oddjob. Plus the death of the hoodlums. But I'll give this to Spectre because of those wonderfull pregnant pauses in the spectre meeting room mixed with hinx's eye gouging. And As I said before the spectre opening titles weird me out!
    Suspense: GF - Spectre has isolated scenes of suspense but not the whole plot. Especially the climax. GF really has it beat with the laser table scene alone let alone the raid on Fort Knox and that wonderful final oddjob fight scene.
    Minor Characters: GF - i really like mr white and Q in Spectre. But GF has Bernard lee as M and Desmond Llewelyn's finest hour as the quarter master. Plus that caddy always cracks me up - how invested he gets in the golf skulduggery.
    Glamour: GF - virtually nothing in the entire series can compete with GF for glamour.
    Bond Performance: GF - Connery entered the status of icon with this performance. Untouchable.

GF - 13
    SP - 5

Fun game - Slam dunk to GF but I have a feeling it will be closer with the next coupe of films!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Time to move on to Thunderball?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    GF in every aspect SP just doesn't have an original idea or aspect. I would say they shafted Craig with the last two but as he was heavily involved n the last three he can blame nobody but himself.

The crux of the plot is original. The PTS is original. The title credits and title song--love 'em or loathe 'em, are original. The drill torture is original. The production values, in total, are original. I could go on.

The homages bleed into derivations too often in SP, but to claim it doesn't have an original idea is ridiculous.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Time to move on to Thunderball?

Beyond time I would say. It really does seem this thread is being stretched out to last until the next film comes out.
  • Another one that's not particularly close, as Goldfinger stomps Spectre by a margin of 235-89. Perhaps Spectre will fare better next time around, when it faces off against Thunderball!

Title Track: TB
    Title Credits: TB (TB's isn't particularly inspired, but something just seems off about SP's)
    Main Villain: TB
    Main Bond Girl: TB (it's close, but they don't want us to take Domino as a serious love interest, and I mean, just look at her)
    Henchman: SP (counting Vargas as the henchmen, but with Fiona TB would likely edge it out)
    Overall Plot: TB (one of my favorites in the series, simple but threatening)
    Dialogue: TB (TB was starting to slip, but still ahead of SP)
    Score: TB
    Settings: SP (Nassau is nice, but the variety and quality of SP is too much)
    Action: SP (take that, underwater scenes)
    Humour: TB (on the back of Bond's bath gag with Fiona)
    Cinematography: SP (take that, underwater scenes)
    Benign Bizarre: TB
    Suspense: TB (I'd say "take that, underwater scenes, but SP has the most tension-free climax of them all)
    Minor Characters: TB (with no Fiona, SP would likely edge it out)
    Glamour: TB
    Bond Performance: TB (Connery's beneath Craig's best performances, but still comfortably ahead of SP)

TB: 13
    SP: 5

Spectre loses handily once more, but it did better, and the rounds it lost were quite a bit closer. Will it improve on your scorecards?
  • PTS: SP
    Title Track: SP
    Title Credits: TB
    Main Villain: TB
    Main Bond Girl: TB
    Henchman: TB
    Overall Plot: TB
    Dialogue: TB
    Score: Tb
    Humour: TB