who else would like to see bond in space again

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 12,837
only more well done, more realistic and no lasers or absurd "destroy all humans and replace them with a master race" plots

Comments

• Should of never have been done in the first place, that's where they were heading in You Only Live Twice but stopped short of Connery lifting off into outer space, to boldly go where no Ian Fleming character has gone before.

Unfortunately some 12 years later they actually succeeded with this nonsense and Bond of all things, gets into a space shuttle and chases after bad guy and we end up with a ludicrous star wars type shot out in the heavens.

Lasers or not, this idea should never see the light of day again, bottom line is you can't have James Bond 007 going up in a rocket and whizzing around space or whatever, it just isin't the thing to do.
    only if its a secret base on the moon....
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Please post in the appropiate sub-forum, this is not News.

Moved to Bond Movies
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It depends on where they take the franchise. If they continue to modernise Bond, adjust the settings to the technology of tomorrow, one day - who knows - Bond in space may be hardly more than normal. However, if they retro Bond to the 20th century, it's a no-no from me. That said, it still is a no-no from me at this very moment.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Bond going into space was the least of MR's problems.

I think it can be done tastefully, especially if we consider Bond as being on the cutting edge of technology. I think the space setting could also lend itself to an interesting plot point dealing with the information technology and satellites. Imagine a villain who was able to control all the satellite signals: we're talking ALL transmissions that affect communication by the major powers
    Bond vs space soviets from MARS!!!!!! :)
  • Bond vs space soviets from MARS!!!!!! :)
    FTW
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I have no problem with Bond going into Space, only if CGI isn't involved. Bring back the good old' retro filmmaking with miniature work. Space yes, but with clever filmmaking that don't rely on the easy CGI route.
    A mix would be great, ohhh the old fake moon colony would be interesting too...

actually a space story would be interesting as long as it wasnt a doomsday/mega ray type story, a modernized moonraker that was truer to the book would be great.

Plot1: Someone wants to prevent a manned exploration launch to mars Bond has to find out who and why to stop them.

Plot2: Someone is building a "Manned" exploration rocket to the moon but its actually planned to "fail" and crash land on city X.

at the moment with the way Craig s taking the role

In 10/20 years when we don't know where the franchise will be then maybe, it depends on the Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!
  • NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!
    I take it you're a fan of moonraker :P But seriously, i don't see it hapenning in the near future. They've done it already, it's been experimented, it didn't work all that well, let it be.

• edited September 2011 Posts: 4,619
    I would have no problem with a realistic space mission (like going to the International Space Station and NO laser guns!). The problam is: it is probably impossible to write a realistic Bond story set in space. I mean, why would a secret agent realistically need to go to space?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!
    I take it you're a fan of moonraker :P But seriously, i don't see it hapenning in the near future. They've done it already, it's been experimented, it didn't work all that well, let it be.

Far from. I despise the film and dislike Moore's Bond enough to send him to the bottom of my Bond listings.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree with panchito, Bond himself has no business to actively go out into space. It was silly in moonraker and it'll be even worse now.
  • NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!

Far from. I despise the film and dislike Moore's Bond enough to send him to the bottom of my Bond listings.
    Coindcidentaly..he's at the top of my list. So yeah..but bond really shouldn't ever set his foot near space again. It just doesn't work, especially not with a more serious bond like Craig. We'd really have to get back to the heavy fantasy/super-spy angle to even consider something like this.

• i think it was ok the first time but another trip up there for bond would as micheal g wilson said in the past to silly and absurd
    i think it was ok the first time but another trip up there for bond would as micheal g wilson said in the past to silly and absurd
    I find it absurd that Wilson feels the need to cameo in the films so much.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would have no problem with a realistic space mission (like going to the International Space Station and NO laser guns!). The problam is: it is probably impossible to write a realistic Bond story set in space. I mean, why would a secret agent realistically need to go to space?
    Bond didn't need to go the first time, the story took him there. No Bond story should involve Space though as annoyingly Moonraker was written around that one idea,
    Phantom Cosmonauts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts

Most of them were probably erased from the official register because the embarrassed the Soviet space program; at least one was removed because he got into a drunken brawl. But there are darker rumours that some of these cosmonauts were murdered after carrying out their missions, their craft sabotaged by the Soviet high command because they could never be allowed to talk about what they did up there. There is (supposedly) a dead cosmonaut who will be leaving the Solar System in the next few years ...
  • Phantom Cosmonauts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts

Most of them were probably erased from the official register because the embarrassed the Soviet space program; at least one was removed because he got into a drunken brawl. But there are darker rumours that some of these cosmonauts were murdered after carrying out their missions, their craft sabotaged by the Soviet high command because they could never be allowed to talk about what they did up there. There is (supposedly) a dead cosmonaut who will be leaving the Solar System in the next few years ...
    intresting............
  • made up my mind about DC's era. Don't like it at all. The reboot is and has always been a gimmick. All that heritage shot to hell for a few bucks and what's flava of the month for the studios - reboots. Pah.

or yes this Bond should go into space in B23 and get sucked in by a big black hole.

But hey why not go inner space instead -

Hmm...maybe, if the plot matched it, and if it was taken seriously like Nightfire's approach.
    No No No! Keep Bond here on earth. Grounded. We don;t need any more outter space Bonds. Moonraker totally sucked (except for the pre credits sequence)
    Bond can do enough here on earth, he still has to defeat Quamtum and kill the evil Mr. White.
    What about a plot involving commercial space travel? Or at least a villain doing it? Bond villains are regularly written as billionaire industrialists, and Bond often meets them for the first time in a swanky location. What better model for a villain than Richard Branson and the meeting place to be a commercial spaceflight a la Virgin Galactic? I know SUPERMAN RETURNS opened with Superman saving a commercial spacecraft from exploding over a stadium, but Bond going on a commercial spaceflight doesn't need to end with Bond avoiding certain disaster. The villain could be an entrepeneur celebrating the first anniversary of his company's first commercial spaceflight, and so is hosting a party on the edge of space.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Hmm...maybe, if the plot matched it, and if it was taken seriously like Nightfire's approach.
    I honestly don't think NF took it seriously. The whole "let's fly into space, battle it out till the place starts to blow and then jump back to Earth" plot is rather incredulous IMO. What I did like, however, was the realistically looking production design in some areas of the Phoenix launch site.

No..Bond should stay on Terra-Firma......MR was enough.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    NO. Please no. Unless it is a fight in a hot air balloon over the Swiss alps - but outer space, I really hope not.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    who else would like to see bond in space again?
    Not me. It would seem so out of place for Bond. Might have worked for Moore/70's, but not today. It would appear cheesy if anything.
  • ok maybe not have the finale SET in space, but some story involving space with the finale set at a launch site or a secret base (ala YOLT)