Which Bond novel are you currently reading?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Definitely. He was just there in the movie, a nobody.

I know and they even changed his name to Donald Grant over Donovan.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Keep in mind, though, you can't show everything from the book in a visual adaptation.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Keep in mind, though, you can't show everything from the book in a visual adaptation.

No film ever could.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

No film ever could.
    My point exactly.

Thing is, with Grant, as he was The Moon Killer as depicted in his background, said to be turning violent whenever the moon is full, that would have been pointless to mention since it had nothing to do with the plot... Unless they'd make an original something out of it and incorporate that in the story... Say, having the full moon appear in the very night Grant is supposed to kill Bond.

Otherwise, there's just no point mentioning Grant's full background.
    As a part of the novel, though - I find his background interesting. Still reading, so how his background might play out in the plot, will be interesting to read.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Donovan Grant is gooed enough for his own movie alone. I love that story. Typical Fleming's benign bizarre.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Not exactly novel, but I was reading The Living Daylights, the short story.

I absolutely love how Bond concluded the assignment, especially with that killer claim he delivered at the end. I wish they kept Trigger in the film version rather than the weak Kara Milovy. She could've been easily defected to Bond, who'd have made a deal with her for her protection in exchange for information.
    I'm trying to track down the new Steve Cole, Young Bond, Red Nemesis, I think it's called. Amazon.ca doesn't have it yet. Anyone read it?
    Not yet, but it's in my display case. Bought it on Amazon.co.uk
    Gerard wrote: »
    Not yet, but it's in my display case. Bought it on Amazon.co.uk

We'll have to put our reviews in the Young Bond thread.
    I do like the way this series has been progressing.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,107
    I read Carte Blanche on holiday and...didn't have as horrible a time with it as I was expecting.

There were bits that didn't ring true, but I'll confess to getting pretty into the plot and wondering how it would all turn out. Plus, Deaver comes across as a nice guy and true fan.

(Nobody calls one-piece motorcycle leathers a 'jumpsuit', though, dude.)

A couple of the hotels I stayed in had a book swap shelf, but it only occurred to me too late that I could have dropped it off. Now I'm thinking it would be a nice project to pick up cheap copies of the Fleming novels and scatter them around the world...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thunderball for me, working my way through my first read through of the novels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    colonel-sun.jpg

I have come across this several times before, but didn t bother as it wasn t Fleming. I have however been quite curious about it for a few years now, as I have read good things about it here and I do like me some new Bond that I haven t read
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think that you'll like it. It's not Fleming, but it is solidly '60s 007.

Yes, and you will spot the bits that Spectre the movie, borrowed from the book.

....I have placed my order for the new Steve Cole, Young Bond, Red Nemesis hardcover, 4th in the Cole series.
    Ordered it from a UK based Amazon.ca re-seller.
    The last two installments, which I also ordered this way, both came with author autograph.
    Here's hoping for a hat trick!

cover.jpg
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think that you'll like it. It's not Fleming, but it is solidly '60s 007.

Just read the first chapter today and I was glad I bought it.
    I haven t read those. Wasn t much interested when they came out.
    Wait, Carte Blanche, the Deaver book, was set in modern time, while Boyd's Solo was firmly set in 1969.
    What does kind of trample on Colonel Sun's timeline though, was the Faulks book, Devil May Care, set in 1967, although you could allow that DMC followed Colonel Sun.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    The two Wood efforts were good reads.
    But yes the recent spate of celebrity novelists; Faulks ughh, Deaver double ughh!!
    Deaver's work indeed was as terrible as it gets. To my mind it doesn't get any more mediocre.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The Christopher Wood books were pure Bond novels as if Fleming wrote them. He got the literary Bond character downright to a tee, if you ask me. I rate them both higher than Colonel Sun, the latter which I am not very fond of.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,844
    The Christopher Wood books were pure Bond novels as if Fleming wrote them. He got the literary Bond character downright to a tee, if you ask me. I rate them both higher than Colonel Sun, the latter which I am not very fond of.

I haven't read Wood's novelizations yet, but I've heard great things about them. Especially Spy. As with you, I really wasn't impressed by Colonel Sun. It begins with a good twist, but I recall large portions of the novel dragging and I fail to see how Amis's prose in any way approached Fleming's. The hyper violence is really the novel's standing out point and that wasn't exactly a strong mark in its favor for me. I'll hopefully be reading it for a second time after the current Bond-a-thon and perhaps be forming clearer thoughts on the overall work then.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I roll with the above. CS is a nice little tag to the Fleming collection, a bonus book if you will, but not surprisingly, its very different.
    The Fleming feel is not there. Again quite understandably. Amis is his own man.
    It's quite readable, but it's got Amis' worldview, attitudes etc stamped all over it. And I did find it slogged along a bit too, but still it's a genuine '60s Bond thriller, the only non-Fleming to be written contemporarily, in Bonds natural time, and by the author of The James Bond Dossier no less, so I do think it's a vital addendum to the Fleming canon.
    I'd add Pearson's 1973 Authorized JB Biography, as the capper to the Fleming continuum.
    Amis mentions Christiania, Norway. The town changed its name back to Oslo in the 1920s.

I also find it amusing that being anti-smoking is a psychopathic trait.
    colonel-sun.jpg

I have come across this several times before, but didn t bother as it wasn t Fleming. I have however been quite curious about it for a few years now, as I have read good things about it here and I do like me some new Bond that I haven t read

I found this cover fascinating as a kid. Its the pb copy that I still have.
    What caught my eye, was that little picture of Bond, like that was a snapshot of the "real" Bond, not the movie Bond
    That is a cool detail that I did not even notice at first.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Continuing the continuation novels in sequence. Just finished John Gardner's FOR SPECIAL SERVICES

Overall I preferred it to Licence Renewed. Gardner's debut had no surprises whereas For Special Services has a mystery at the heart of its story. Who is the new leader of an old enemy?

The opening chapter plays like an EON PTS (and a pretty good one actually). I enjoyed the first half of the book. It rollicks along with the second book in row from Gardner that could take issue with A View To A Kill's plot (1981's Licence Renewed had the horse racing subplot and 1982's For Special Services an elevator attack).

Once more Gardner does things that irritate - for starters he continues to play fast and loose with the Bond character and doesn't give him much dimension. Gardner's dialogue isn't quite as bad as his debut but his handling of female characters is once more poor and in the case of Cedar Leiter downright embarrassing. The last forty pages would be so much better if they were fleshed out. These pages go by far too quickly and the execution of the villain's plan is unbelievably careless with so many precarious variables that when it collapses it is with no dramatic surprise. The twist is not bad but once again rushed and there is no craft in the resolution of what could be - with more care taken - an excellent finish.

I've realised that Gardner loves his Saab car and both of these books have a Saab chase across the villain's expansive property. Both are action highlights of their respective novels, well described by the author and there's a real sense of oscillating pace and urgency to the races.

Gardner really goes to the well with the reoccurring characters from Fleming's world in this novel. And it will be interesting to see if he manages to reap anything from the groundwork he has put in here - or if this is a self-contained story.

Major Boothroyd will return...with ICEBREAKER

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Hmm, seems like I'll skip the Gardner books. I'm not delving into everything just because it says 'Bond', and by your reviews I think I'll just be annoyed too much. After all, Bond doesn't drive Saab. That's just plain wrong.
    I only read the first three Gardner books. There was a novelty excitement to it in the early 80s, but nothing more. Of the Bond writers I have read:

1 Fleming
    2 Wood
    3 Amis/Markham
    4 Gardner
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Continuing the continuation novels in sequence. Just finished John Gardner's FOR SPECIAL SERVICES

Overall I preferred it to Licence Renewed. Gardner's debut had no surprises whereas For Special Services has a mystery at the heart of its story. Who is the new leader of an old enemy?

The opening chapter plays like an EON PTS (and a pretty good one actually). I enjoyed the first half of the book. It rollicks along with the second book in row from Gardner that could take issue with A View To A Kill's plot (1981's Licence Renewed had the horse racing subplot and 1982's For Special Services an elevator attack).

Once more Gardner does things that irritate - for starters he continues to play fast and loose with the Bond character and doesn't give him much dimension. Gardner's dialogue isn't quite as bad as his debut but his handling of female characters is once more poor and in the case of Cedar Leiter downright embarrassing. The last forty pages would be so much better if they were fleshed out. These pages go by far too quickly and the execution of the villain's plan is unbelievably careless with so many precarious variables that when it collapses it is with no dramatic surprise. The twist is not bad but once again rushed and there is no craft in the resolution of what could be - with more care taken - an excellent finish.

I've realised that Gardner loves his Saab car and both of these books have a Saab chase across the villain's expansive property. Both are action highlights of their respective novels, well described by the author and there's a real sense of oscillating pace and urgency to the races.

Gardner really goes to the well with the reoccurring characters from Fleming's world in this novel. And it will be interesting to see if he manages to reap anything from the groundwork he has put in here - or if this is a self-contained story.

Major Boothroyd will return...with ICEBREAKER

I can't remember the first chapter. What was it? I read it as a teen and I seem to recall this Gardner effort being the most interesting one (poisoned ice cream, brainwashed Bond, pythons), because it was so bat**** crazy.
    Isn t it an SAS raid on a plane? Haven t read it since the 80s myself.