Which Bond novel are you currently reading?

Comments

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Strike Lightning.
    It's 1934. Young Bond is at Fettes. I am guessing he is a strong 15, as he has developed skills. Very good w judo and general hand-to-hand.
    Young Bond is aware of the Nazi threat, as are his adult mentors. Based on the timeline, Cole is setting Bond up to be about 20 yrs old, when the war breaks out, and about 34 for his future adventures at Royale Les Eaux, which is about where Fleming had Bond, until he rolled back his age a bit in the later books.
    British Intelligence has sworn Bond to secrecy under the official Secrets Act, based on some of his previous adventures. This was established with Higson in By Royal Command, but reminded of again here by Cole.
    The intelligence services do have their eyes on YB.
    Again Cole is giving us a good sense of the future agent, and YB himself does seem resigned to his inevitable destiny, emboldened even.
    He is developing tradecraft, fight skills and smarts, easily putting bullies and other nuisance toughs in their place.
    We have a great femme fatale - Miss Axmann, "but you may call me Herta, James". She is deadly and has her eye on Bond.
    Lead villain with surname Blade, plus twisted Doctor Whittaker, aka Dr. Hook.
    Bad guys are engaged in advanced weapons tech.
    "The worst kind of enemy has a new kind of weapon"
    What I like about these newer Young Bonds is that Bond is now very self aware. He is proactive, as opposed to the more reactive adolescent (13-14) Bond we met in the Higson YB's.
    The future 00 embraces adventure and acts out of a developing sense of responsibility and duty, as opposed to his impetuous nature getting him caught up in things.
    Good read this. About halfway thru after only one day.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited March 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Just started 'FOR SPECIAL SERVICES'. I'm reading the continuation novels in sequence. I was underwhelmed by 'Licence Renewed' and it struck me that Gardner is more influenced by the cinematic Bond rather than Fleming's version. This impression is further solidified as the second Gardner novel starts off with a hiss and roar - almost like a pre title sequence and a tantalising hint of the return on an old enemy. Gardner does action and suspense quite well. But he lacks a turn of phrase and the dialogue is often laboured. But I'm enjoying FSS more at present than I did LR.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Given the modern world, I too have enjoyed listening to the audio books, while on
    Long drives or just walking the dog.

I have no time to read. The IF novel audiobooks are a great alternative.

Finally finished Trigger mortis (I will be copying and pasting the review in the trigger Mortis thread)

overall it wasn't horrible and it wasn't amazing. I can see why fans enjoyed it largely due to it being far better then Solo (at least bond does something in this book) but in terms of overall feel I don't feel it's as good as Fleming or Benson (who is still my personal favorite sorry) and I rank it either equal or just below Amis

I will pick up the next book likely as a hardcover and read it along with everyone else but I don't think Horowitz is amazing he isn't bad and I still dislike the period piece stuff (plus so what now like the films the novels are going to just plow through all the unused fleming stuff for new novels really we can't try something original and new)

Sin is an ok villain his end felt weak though (to action move clichéd in my opinion along with a Schwarzeneggar esque one liner) Jeopardy is slightly bland (Uhm why does she sleep with bond again?)

and I could of gone without the Fan service and home drama of Bond Pussy and the Race Car driver... but over all the novel was good and at least it didn't bore me as much as Solo did.
  • GamesBond007GamesBond007 Golden Grotto
    Just got my copy of Zero Minus Ten (Raymond Benson's first original Bond novel) in the mail. I will post my impressions as I read it. Should be interesting.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Pleased with all the love for Moonraker!

Easily my favourite Fleming novel. Best villain, best card game and a thoroughly fiendish plot!

Would love to see it adapted for Television as a period piece.
    Moonraker is my favourite Fleming novel too.

The audiobook narrated by Bill Nighy is worth a listen aswell.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The only novel that I don't like is live and Let Die

??? Its one of the best. The underwater swim to Mr. Bigs private island is enthralling!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The only novel that I don't like is live and Let Die

??? Its one of the best. The underwater swim to Mr. Bigs private island is enthralling!

One of the best scenes in the book.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, surprised that it never made it to film.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Finally finished Trigger mortis (I will be copying and pasting the review in the trigger Mortis thread)

overall it wasn't horrible and it wasn't amazing. I can see why fans enjoyed it largely due to it being far better then Solo (at least bond does something in this book) but in terms of overall feel I don't feel it's as good as Fleming or Benson (who is still my personal favorite sorry) and I rank it either equal or just below Amis

I will pick up the next book likely as a hardcover and read it along with everyone else but I don't think Horowitz is amazing he isn't bad and I still dislike the period piece stuff (plus so what now like the films the novels are going to just plow through all the unused fleming stuff for new novels really we can't try something original and new)

Sin is an ok villain his end felt weak though (to action move clichéd in my opinion along with a Schwarzeneggar esque one liner) Jeopardy is slightly bland (Uhm why does she sleep with bond again?)

and I could of gone without the Fan service and home drama of Bond Pussy and the Race Car driver... but over all the novel was good and at least it didn't bore me as much as Solo did.
    Yes TM is a good Bond novel. It's good. Quite acceptable first effort.
    Yes the Pussy stuff was overplayed. Fleshing out Fleming character progression is dicey territory. It need be handled with extreme care.
    Looking forward to his next book.
    Meanwhile, almost done Strike Lightning.
    Bond is battling some bad Nazis.
    Herta, icey-hot blonde femme fatale, is a veritable Ilsa She Wolf of the SS.
    I'm hoping that maybe she survives, so that future Young adult Bond might engage some war and/or post-war exploits with her.
    She is bad bad, but sexy sexy , and she's got a thing for young James.
    The femmes, fatale and otherwise, are taking real notice of the brave Young Bond.

Just started 'FOR SPECIAL SERVICES'. I'm reading the continuation novels in sequence. I was underwhelmed by 'Licence Renewed' and it struck me that Gardner is more influenced by the cinematic Bond rather than Fleming's version. This impression is further solidified as the second Gardner novel starts off with a hiss and roar - almost like a pre title sequence and a tantalising hint of the return on an old enemy. Gardner does action and suspense quite well. But he lacks a turn of phrase and the dialogue is often laboured. But I'm enjoying FSS more at present than I did LR.

Interesting perspective.
    Ironically PussyNoMore was a huge Gardner fan before he took up the Bond mantle.
    His Boysie Oakes books - particularly Amber Nine and Madrigal - were fantastic and with his Secret Generations trilogy he damn nearly joined the hallowed ranks of Deighton, Fleming and Le Carre.
    Unfortunately his output was variable and some of his other work - the dreadful Tory books for example - were second rate.
    That withstanding, the excitement was palpable when he was announced as Bond's new custodian but although he did a good job of the detail associated with an '80s re-boot, the books themselves never really scaled the heights and were certainly never in Fleming's league.
    PussyNoMore was fortunate to dialogue with Gardner when he returned to the UK from the USA. He was a nice man who was always very generous with his time but he much preferred talking about his own creations and I think he regarded his Bond period as slumming it. Good for the money but fro an artistic perspective he felt that it had limited him.
    @PussyNoMore - I can imagine the demands of pumping out a Bond novel every year for fourteen years would be taxing on the enthusiasm and originality. Especially when you didn't even invent the characters or world.

edited March 2017 Posts: 2,721
    So I spent the day on the beach with my fiancée and in between swims and picnic meals - I sat under the shade of a tree reading For Special Services. What a way to spend the day, perhaps it's partly responsible for my considerable enjoyment of Gardner's second novel especially compared to his debut. FSS starts off with action and never relents until half way through (which is where I am in the novel). While Gardner still can't seem to write a decent female character and Bond putting on Sir Hilary Bray levels of disguise is a little ill advised on the bright side his story structure is far pacier without feeling rushed. And at least it has a mystery to it that was completely lacking in Licence Renewed which predictably lumbered from chapter to chapter with swathes of exposition.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just about started James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me. On the first chapter after the cold opening with Sergei Barsov going on assignment... Love how it's expanded on the pre-title sequence from the film counterpart alone!
    It s a great Bond novel. Wood is up there with Fleming.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    It s a great Bond novel. Wood is up there with Fleming.
    Indeed. And the thing is, being past seven chapters by now, you wouldn't be able to tell it's from the same screenwriter that wrote the film's script. It's a completely different animal and Bond is most certainly Fleming's depiction (who keeps aging) and definitely not Moore.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Already halfway through the novel and despite sharing similarly parallel scenes with the film, you couldn't even imagine it's the same writer who penned the script, but I guess I already said that. Bond's characterization is completely true to that of Fleming's original since his first print appearance, but there also is a big reason why I do prefer the cinematic Bond over the literary Bond by a wide margin. In comparison to Anya in this book, he's incompetent, with Anya often outsmarting him with her witticism, intellect and physical skills.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying this book more than I could've remembered from eight to nine years ago when I first got my hands on it.
    Yes, he did very well with Moore's Bond being himself as well as being the responsible for veering him away from what he believes to have been mistakes in his first two films: Those being the attempt to make his character like Connery's portrayal. He put the essentials mainly to how Moore's Bond would fare with he rest of his tenure. Now, with him also being the one writing the novel, he's actually done a very good job at making the character a precise xerox of Fleming's rendition and built the universe in the timeline of the novels. Wood doesn't get enough appreciation among those who are fans of the Literary Bond as much as Kingsley Amis gets for Colonel Sun. His attention to details as well as character background narratives are very brilliant, Fleming would've loved it.

However, one thing I feel is overdone with the literary Bond writing formula. He's using too many French phrases way more than Fleming did.
    Sorry to derail the novel discussions here chaps - but a quick question about 'Blood, Sweat and Bond' and 'Anderson and Low: On the set of spectre' - what are the predominate differences and which in your opinion is better? I have the first on order but wondering whether the latter is worth picking up? (Couldn't find the bond questions thread to throw this question in.)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,108
    @Major_Boothroyd, I haven't read t'other but I found Blood, Sweat and Bond pretty slight; I only own it because it was a fiver in The Works. It's basically cast and crew photos with a small amount of accompanying text.

They are very nice photos, though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just finished rereading Ian Fleming's THE DIAMOND SMUGGLERS. I hadn't since the mid-70s when I was in Jr. High (now called Middle School). I had forgotten everything, in fact I was totally wrong in my recollection as to what it was about. After DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER was published, an admirer who was also a former British Agent had been working for the British Diamond Industry too uncover and stop the illegal diamond trade in Africa contacted Fleming wanting to know if he would be interested in doing a story on his adventures. Ian traveled to Tangiers and met with the agent (here given the code name John Blaize) and ended up writing a serialized account for Collard, which became the bulk of this book. Well written and engrossing, I could see elements of this, not to mention the title, used in future EON Bond films: Th elections, the intrigue, and even a villain named 'Monsieur Diamant' (another alias, who Blaize calmed was as dangerous and outrageous as any of Fleming's fictional antagonists). I didn't realize that the character Lisl, who he would use few years hence in the short story RISICO, was a real person from the pages of this earlier story (same name).
    Highly recommended for all Bond and Fleming fans. @Dragonpol , I'm sure you've read it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your review, @Birdleson. I've had a copy of The Diamond Smugglers since 2000 but have never read it for some reason. Your review has made me want to rectify that and I'll share my thoughts here when I get it read.
    Finished Hurricane Gold last week. Not bad at all, although I have my doubts that two teenagers could have completed that "rat race" in the end, or that the villain would be so magnanimous. Still, very enjoyable. But, let's face it, I couldn't stand Precious in the beginning, and I'm not too fond of her now, despite the backstory or the character growth. What a brat !
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just finished rereading Ian Fleming's THE DIAMOND SMUGGLERS. I hadn't since the mid-70s when I was in Jr. High (now called Middle School). I had forgotten everything, in fact I was totally wrong in my recollection as to what it was about. After DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER was published, an admirer who was also a former British Agent had been working for the British Diamond Industry to uncover and stop the illegal diamond trade in Africa contacted Fleming wanting to know if he would be interested in doing a story on his adventures. Ian traveled to Tangiers and met with the agent (here given the code name John Blaize) and ended up writing a serialized account for Collard, which became the bulk of this book. Well written and engrossing, I could see elements of this, not to mention the title, used in future EON Bond films: The plots, the intrigue, and even a villain named 'Monsieur Diamant' (another alias, who Blaize claimed was as dangerous and outrageous as any of Fleming's fictional antagonists). I didn't realize that the character Lisl, who he would use few years hence in the short story RISICO, was a real person from the pages of this earlier story (same name).
    Highly recommended for all Bond and Fleming fans. @Dragonpol , I'm sure you've read it. What are your thoughts?
    Interesting breakdown @Birdleson
    I am intrigued to read this!!! Have had a block regarding this book and Thrilling Cities for so long as they weren't Bond books.
    Thanks for removing the fog. It's Fleming for crying out loud! The Fleming Bonds that we love so much, resonate Fleming as much as his literary creation.
    Truly egregious to have set aside these books for so long, like mere curios.
    This will be corrected forthwith.
    One of the great oversights of my life. Terrible.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,896
    I've read Diamond Smugglers only once, and must admit I found it disappointing. To be fair, so did Fleming, who said the diamond companies forced him to cut the most interesting bits and leave a tame remainder. Thrilling Cities on the other hand is pure, undiluted Fleming and required reading for any fan of the Bond novels. I imagine the still-unreleased State of Excitement is in the same vein. The same can be said with certainty about Fleming's Sunday Times journalism, which also needs to be published.
  • Revelator wrote: »
    I've read Diamond Smugglers only once, and must admit I found it disappointing. To be fair, so did Fleming, who said the diamond companies forced him to cut the most interesting bits and leave a tame remainder. Thrilling Cities on the other hand is pure, undiluted Fleming and required reading for any fan of the Bond novels. I imagine the still-unreleased State of Excitement is in the same vein. The same can be said with certainty about Fleming's Sunday Times journalism, which also needs to be published.

That would make for a very interesting read, and you'd have to imagine just such a collection will find its way to print one day.
    Currently reading From Russia With Love. Really taking my time with this one. After finishing Diamonds Are Forever, I felt that I might have read through that one way too quickly - and maybe forgetting a few elements of it. Have to read it again soon.

With FRWL I read maybe 10-12 pages each night before going to bed. At first I though that reading so little would make it difficult to get into the plot each night, but it's so well written that you just jump straight into the story, as if you've just had a short break before picking the book up again.

I'm still reading part one, so Bond isn't introduced yet. At this point, I don't have any problems with that. Still, it will be good to have Bond introduced into the story, and follow our main character as usual. So far so good; really looking forward to read the rest of the book.
    That Grant is really some character in the book.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    They probably could introduce some of his background (not suitable for a 1963 film) into a future character.
    Definitely. He was just there in the movie, a nobody.