The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

edited December 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,813
I'll understand if this gets closed right away, but I figure it was worth a shot.

The general Star Wars thread is 99% spoiler tags and that shite's annoying on your cellphone, lol!
This movie was big enough to warrant it's own thread where you can let the spoilers loose!

What do you think: want to keep the general Star Wars talk on the other thread and keep the spoilers and wild theories for TFA & EpisodeVIII in here, just for the people who've seen it?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm sure we can have this thread, @Master_Dahark. :-) It is, after all, the biggest film of the year and possibly in a long while.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Chewey uses Just for Wookies. ;)
  • Speaking of him, it wasn't Han's death that brought a tear to my eye, but it was Chewie's reaction. I wanted to pet him!
    Also, wasn't it odd that afterwards, Leia hugged Rey (who she 'supposedly' just met) and had no interaction at all with Chewie?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In terms of huge, massive spoilers, I was honestly NOT expecting the death of Han.
    Speaking of him, it wasn't Han's death that brought a tear to my eye, but it was Chewie's reaction. I wanted to pet him!
    Also, wasn't it odd that afterwards, Leia hugged Rey (who she 'supposedly' just met) and had no interaction at all with Chewie?

Yes Chewey's reaction gave Han's death a bigger impact it had me tear up as well.

As for Han, I had that spoiled for me on facebook but, I sort of expected it earlier on from a rumor I saw hinting at it. It's something I hoped wasn't true but considering Ford wanted Han dead as early as Empire Strikes back I assumed it was on the table. At least Han got a great adventure to end on a high note. I can't wait to see episode 8.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I wasn't expecting his death either.

For me the tear up moment was the end with Luke's reveal. Man, I felt his burden then, and the burden of the Force.

RE: Spoilers:
    1. did anyone notice that R2D2 only turned out of power save mode when Rey arrived at the base. Was it instructed to only show the map once the 'awakened one' arrived?
    2. Who is Snoke? Is he actually Plagueius, who Sidius/Palpatine thought he had killed?
    3. If there are only two Sith at any one time, then if Snoke wants Rey, does that mean that Ren is toast eventually?
    4. Who trained Rey (she has obviously been trained imho)? Luke is the obvious choice, but could it be someone else?
    5. Who is she. Most say she's Skywalker, but could she be Kenobi? Or no blood line at all?

@Master_Dahark, yes, I noticed the Leia/Rey hug. Do they know each other I wonder?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not sure about all of those questions, but I'm under the impression that Rey is Luke's daughter. She didn't want to leave home because he's the one she has been waiting for, and he was the one who trained her. Of course, I could be completely wrong, as my Star Wars fandom/nerd knowledge is not that strong (see what I did there?! I got 'Star Wars' jokes!)
    Given the number of similarities between TFA and previous Star Wars films, I wondered where Rey is Han and Leia's daughter, whom they sent into hiding on Jakku to protect her when Ren turned to the dark side.

As for whether she has received previous Jedi training, I thought that was alluded to by Snoke when he tells Ren "there has been an awakening...".

Hopefully, more will be revealed in Episode VIII.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    My money's on her being Luke's kid. Daisy Ridley strongly resembles Natalie Portman (and Kiera Knightly, who in turn also looks like Portman, and was the Queen's double)

CC8--zLW0AIMxBw.jpg

That can't be a coincidence.
    As to who the mom is, (did we rule out Leia? :-& ;) ) I understand there's a comic series called Shattered Empire, which shows what happens between ROTJ & TFA. I caught a peek of one issue at the comic store, and Luke definitely meets a hot dark haired woman- not sure where it goes, if anywhere. Is anyone currently reading that, and can fill me in?
    Couldn't Rey be just like Anakin was and conceived by the midiclorians?It happened before why not again?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The parenting in these movies is atrocious.

Not sure if Rey is Luke's daughter. Given Luke's disposition on family it would seem out of character to have Luke abscond from his parental duties.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    yogi1 wrote: »
    Couldn't Rey be just like Anakin was and conceived by the midiclorians?It happened before why not again?

Because there can be only 1 Vader.
    Oh my word, midiclorians....forgot about that possibility. I hope not, for pete's sake!
    @bondjames, rest assured. Disney has stated that it has severed all ties with the prequels.
    Phew. Thanks @DarthDimi. That's definitely reassuring.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,541
    @bondjames, Arnie Carvalho, my favourite podcaster and one of the world's largest Star Wars collectors, apparently talks to some big names on a regular basis. He also keeps up with every bit of buzz surrounding Star Wars out there. These past weeks, he has repeatedly stated that Disney won't have anything to do with the prequels, which is why the Clone Wars TV show was cancelled for example. That they mention the word 'Clone' in TFA is not too big a deal in this respect because in '77, Leia talks about the Clone Wars in her video message to Obi-Wan. That they mention the Sith, however, was a bit of a startling thing to me.

It would however be a surprise to me if Snoke were Darth Plageius, a name so blatantly connected with the final prequel movie. Same with Midichlorians and such. Still, if they must bring something from the prequels into the new series, I'm confident they'll be extremely selective. These people know how much the fans hated the Midichlorians, Jar-Jar and those overcomplicated trade federation politics. I can see them bringing in a Zabrak because Darth Maul was a very popular character but no Gungangs or "Roger Roger" battle droids. ;-)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Once Harrison got top billing I knew he was a dead duck. Mentors don't last long in Star Wars. None of the spoilers were that earth shattering or enough to get excited about. You've seen a star wars movie, this one follows the formula to a T
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks again @DarthDimi.

I read somewhere that the term Sith was used in the original 'novelization' by Alan Dean Foster that was based on Lucas's early script, although the term itself never made its way into the OT.

n844.jpg

I also found this image from an early TOPP trading card:
    217-topps-star-wars--series-4-The-Dark-Lord-of-the-Sith.jpg

So Sith as a term is probably OT material although I don't think Lucas had considered the 'Rule of 2' at that time, since in ROTJ, the Emperor wants to convert Luke to the Dark Side, presumably to work with Vader and him.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 16,330
    Wow this is uncanny. Episode seven predicted as early as 1983!
    @bondjames, wow, that's interesting. I always thought the Sith were mentioned the first time in Ep. 1. Good to know...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Sith were well known before. Speaking of which...

Did the force really awaken a spoiler thread here? Is it also behind all the spam threads?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,541
    @Thunderfinger, I think we can allow this thread. This is one of the hottest films of the moment and if we wish to avoid spoilers, well, this extra thread can by exception be allowed I think. :)

That doesn't mean you get to do another "How to properly shave your scrotum, a guide by Thunderfinger" thread. /:)
    23rd time s a charm.
    Oh, it was the POLICE FORCE that awoke this thread? Carry on, then.
    For those who want a review that's ALL LOVE, here's Kevin Smith's response to TFA. It's definitely worth your time because Smith reveals:

- during the filming of which scene he was right there on set
    - what line in TFA "might" be a reference to one of his films
    - what he thinks about prequel material ever making it into the new series

I suggest you start watching starting at 7:14.
    I've only read ADF's novelization of Alien. I rather liked it.
    During both viewings of TFA, people swore out loud when Han got killed. No wonder, it is one of the most troubling scenes in the entire series. Powerful stuff.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Was Ford's death in TFA the first time he dies on screen? I haven't seen all his movies but I don't recall him ever having a death scene. And the fact I was not expecting his death at all in TFA, I was profoundly shocked.
    There have recently been internet rumours saying Harrison Ford has died. We know where that comes from.

Ford wanted Han Solo to be killed off in ROTJ, but didn t get his way. Guess he had more leverage this time.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Damn. Check out this concept art for an Anakin Skywalker Force ghost that was originally planned to appear in Ep VII. This must be what they meant when they said Hayden was returning. Episode VIII maybe?

03D29DC6-2EBC-41E9-9A35-DCF4187060AE_zpsu93eghqs.jpg