Pierce Brosnan on Lettermen in 1985

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,492

I have grown to like old Pierce now that he isnt in the role but this interview with Lettermen in 1985 is worth watchng as there is a wee bit of ego coming off Pierce. He isnt happy at some of the questions.

Also Countessa Lisl von Schlaf makes an appearance.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's sad to his wife there just six years before her death.
  • Interesting to think of how he would have been as Bond had he gotten the part then...my thoughts are that he lucked out by having to wait.

As much as he gets criticised for being a lightweight actor in his films I believe the problem would have been far worse had he been cast in the mid-80s. He only had Remington Steele and one film (as leading roles, I mean) under his belt so he hadn't accumulated a lot of acting experience. In addition, he has stated that the death of his wife allowed him a greater gravity to bring to his acting than he would have had before.

From a practical point of view he wouldn't have had Martin Campbell to direct him in his debut which I think would have hurt him a lot - he really helped Brosnan appear tougher in his performance. He also may have been a little too influenced by Moore - despite technical faults the "magic carpet ride" in TLD was laregly abandoned because it didn't fit in with Dalton's Bond and the confrontation with Pushkin was only written in because of Dalton. Also, Brosnan followed Dalton's lead by having a lot of dialogue jetisoned so he appeared tougher and more a man of action - who knows if he would have thought to request that if Dalton hadn't done it first? To say nothing about trying to have a more psychologically nuanced performance - again, would he have attempted that if Dalton hadn't done it first? Finally, he was pretty boyish and even more manorexic back then than he was at the time of GE.

All in all, aging a little more, gaining acting experience, and having some tragedy in his life certainly helped him. But I'm guessing that what the producers learned from Dalton's tenure helped a lot. I also think that Campbell was probably a great deal responsible for helping Brosnan craft his version of Bond. I was pleasantly surprised at Brosnan in GE; I think I would have been let down to see him in TLD.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is interesting to wonder what would have happened if Brosnan preceded Dalton. Dalton may not have gotten the job then... :-?
  • This was the begining of Cubby casting Pierce Brosnan as James Bond for The Living Daylights! Cubby tried everything to get Pierce out of his contract with Remington Steele, but commitment issues prevent it from happening. But things work out in the end. Also, it's very sad that Pierce Brosnan's first wife passed away six years later.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    aw look at lil Brosnan! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Crazy young. Thanks for posting this, always nice to see Brosnan at such a time.