Pierce Brosnan or Roger Moore

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
The lighter side of Bond.

Which one do you prefer and why ?

Comments

• TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Moore, easily. His pain face is more humorous than sad.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Moore by far. Moore is overly criticized by many. Too many people dislike him for not being Connery!
  • CISCIS Suspended
    Moore is funnier than Brosnan, but I like Brosnan as a representation of the "modern" '90s Bond. I grew up with him in the video games and the films. Brosnan's portrayal wasn't very original, it was more of a combination of Connery and Moore, but I still enjoy his version.

Anyway, I prefer Moore overall.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore, evidently.
    Brosnan easily

More physical, (mostly) took the role seriously and just had more energy and style overall. Plus he was my first image of Bond.

I do enjoy Moore though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Roger Moore. At least he looks like he knows what he's doing.
  • Moore - although it's largely his performance in his fifth and sixth outing that tips the scales heavily in his favour.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Moore is the man. Brosnan is not, don't hate him though...

Moore. Yes, most of his films were silly, but, for the most part, they still took Bond seriously. I think Rog showed he could do a lot. LALD, Moonraker, FYEO, OP he had pretty good performances in.

I felt during the Brosnan era, mainly TWINE and DAD, that Bond was becoming self-parody. We see hints of it in TND too. Not his fault, mostly the producers, but stiill one reason why I enjoy Rog slightly more.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting Moore: Yes, most of his films were silly, but, for the most part, they still took Bond
    seriously.
    I don't know about that. Characters such as JW Pepper, Rosie Carver, NicNac, Mary Goodnight, Jaws in MR, the blonde big boobed girl, the double-take pigeon, Max the parrot, Margret Thatcher and the sheriff in AVTAK may suggest otherwise.

I'd say they were the most comedy driven out of the lot. ("YOU BIG BULLY")

Still, I agree that they are fun nonetheless.
  • Moore - his charm is effortless and he has two series classics to his name.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moore - who else? Roger's the coolest thing since Connery. Often misjudged for being co-called 'old' and playing the eye-brow thing too often, Roger was nothing if not the best choice for the 70s Bond. I also love his 80s flicks. Despite what the man himself claims, Roger's also a good actor in my book. Now, I have no beef with Brosnan, not like many others do at least, but no matter what his own contributions were, Brosnan sure is no Roger Moore.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Brosnan, i grew up with him. I think he is more credible in the way he is playing Bond. Not the same, dare i say " goofiness " like Moore did.
    I can agree that Moore had more style and so, but Brosnan is a icon for me....
    Moore is my least favourite Bond actor. He isn't bad, the others are just better.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Quoting BAIN123: Brosnan easily

More physical, (mostly) took the role seriously and just had more energy and style overall. Plus he was my first image of Bond.

This sums up my opinion also. Moore is nothing but comic relief, and I cant sit here and say Brosnan didn't make me laugh either though.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 110
    Brosnan deserves a lot of credit for being unintentionally funny.
    i want talk much.Brosnan.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Moore..

i grew up with Brosnan, and my first Bond film was Goldeneye... BUT... with all that said, in the end, i think i would rather watch 4 of Moore's films than 4 of Brosnan's... Pierce started off in Goldeneye as almost a nice hybrid between Connery and Moore - he could be ruthless, but also smarmy... but as the films went on, he started becoming more and more like Moore - far more humor than actual physicality - and i would rather take the original, than someone turning into him..
    Moore by a mile.
  • Moore. Brosnan often gets more criticism than I think he deserves, but Moore had him beat after the first eyebrow raise for me.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Probably Brosnan, but at this point I will say neither.
    I grew up with Brosnan as Bond, not only in the films but in the video games. The movies meant nothing to me back then, it was all about the video games. Although Brosnan will always hold a special place for me because of my childhood, Moore has to be my choice in this matter. He's more suave, wittier and all-around more capable as Bond. He also played the role in the films better IMO.
    Moore
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited January 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely Moore. He had the benefit of playing Bond in an era nearer to the classic 1960s time period and playing the character before Babs got her fingers on him. Brosnan didn't play Bond. Brosnan played Remington Steele playing Roger Moore playing Bond.

Can we get a poll for this one too, please?
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: Can we get a poll for this one too, please?
    Seconded.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Roger Moore without question, but then again being a child of the 70's my decision may be colored by nostalgia, but to me Roger along with Sean will always be one of the classic Bonds.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 638
    Quoting BAIN123: Brosnan easily

More physical, (mostly) took the role seriously and just
    had more energy and style overall. Plus he was my first image of Bond.

I do agree that Brosnan was more physical and took the role more seriously, but still my vote goes to Moore. Moore was always more relaxed in the role than Brosnan, had much more charisma and was able to pull off horrible one liners in a way that Brosnan never could. Moore is certainly the most naturally charming of the bunch.

• edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting jaguar007: I do agree that Brosnan was more physical and took the role more seriously, but
    still my vote goes to Moore. Moore was always more relaxed in the role than
    Brosnan, had much more charisma and was able to pull off horrible one liners in
    a way that Brosnan never could. Moore is certainly the most naturally charming
    of the bunch.

I enjoy them both but I just think Brosnan was the more credible as a trained spy overall. Moore was undoubtably great when it came to suave witicism's but as a deadly secret agent? I'm not sure. I thought he seemed a bit uncomfortable showing his more ruthless side in MWTGG (beating Andrea), it didn't fit his persona.
    While I do like Pierce Brosnan a lot he doesn't match the skil and suaveness that Roger Moore has brought to the table playing 007.

For me Sean Connery & Roger Moore are the two sides of the 007 coin. The rest of them can be compared to them but never as good.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well I make it 19-5 to Moore so far.

Make that 20-5 as I will go with Moore.

Bartleby didn't clarify his choice so I haven't included him in the count. ;-)