Who is your Favorite M Q and Moneypenny

TRSTN1TRSTN1 Tokio,North Dakota U.S.A
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 11
Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny

Comments

Has to be Lee really, Robert Brown didn't have much to offer, Dench is good and authoritative but the original wins it

Llewelyn, but there was never much competition in that capacity

same as above with Maxwell

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is this seriously a thread?!!!!!!! Come on. Lee, Maxwell and Llewelyn. Who else compares in the parts of any other the characters?!
    I was thinking the same thing as I typed my answers :-??

It's like asking for Fries with Ketchup or Mayo
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What's a better pizza? One with dough, sauce and pepperoni, or one without? :-D
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Ditto. I think you'll find that's the majority opinion around here.
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Ditto. I think you'll find that's the majority opinion around here.

They weren't just the first, they were the best. A la Connery wouldn't you say??
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Any other combo is just blasphemy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    ROBERT BROWN as M........

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny
    DC007, you seem to have misspelled Bernard Lee.

Must be quite a keyboard issue to be off that badly. :-D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nope, just my humble opinion.
    Heh, yeah I'm just kidding around... so what makes you prefer Brown? He definitely had a great scene in LTK.
    Lee was great, obviously. But Brown had some really great body language - just look at him in every scene, he always displays lots of emotions and thoughts just by his body movements and facial expressions. Just look when Moore tells him he already has a flight in OP - Brown gives a little nod and smile. Lee was mainly playing the old, retired, no-bullsh*t admiral in all his movies. Brown's M had more strings to his arc.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Brown as M

Llewelyn as Q

Bliss as Moneypenny
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Brown as M

Bliss as Moneypenny
    I knew you'd step up for the Dalton era, Major!

• edited August 2011 Posts: 1,310
    The popular option:

Bernard Lee's M
    Desmond Llewelyn's Q
    Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny

That is not to say, however, that Robert Brown wasn't a good M; I thought he was a great replacement.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Of course this can be the only answer.
    Dame Judi Dench as M.
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q.
    I don't really care for any of the acrtesses who played Moneypenny.
    Favorite M: Bernard Lee
    Favorite Q: Really?
    Favorite Moneypenny: Lois Maxwell
    I'm with @00Beast. We can cross out Q. Who here honestly thinks John Cleese trumped the masterful Llewelyn?!
  • tqbtqb
    favorite Q= Alec McCowen!
    haha just kidding
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Exactly! It's not even up for debate.
  • bernard lee as m
    desmond as q
    lois maxwell as moneypenny
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    M : Dame Judi Dench
    Q : Desmond Llewelyn
    Moneypenny : Samantha Bond
    While I am a big fan of Judi Dench, Bernard Lee was one of those examples of absolutely perfect casting. Lee, for sure. Dench second. Robert Brown was decent & likeable and, given that Lee was actually dead, Brown was a fair facsimile at the time. Ralph Fiennes could be interesting, going forward.

"Pay attention, 007" - Desmond Llewelyn was iconic as Q and enjoyable when he appeared in the same scenes as Lee. Despite the fact that Llewelyn was part of some of the more groan-inducing jokes of the series, he can't be touched. Ben Whishaw is a fine modern Q for many of the same reasons Dench was better as a new kind of M than an imitation of her predecessor. I have a similar opinion of John Cleese's Q as that of Brown's M.

As for Miss Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell was just so perfect that none of the other actresses who followed could really measure up. In fact, unlike M and Q, I think we could have done without any more Moneypennys after Maxwell departed the series. Maybe some other secretary but they didn't need to share her name. Wasn't Moneypenny breaking in an understudy late in her tenure? That would have been the way to go, I think. We can always have an M an a Q (code names, after all) but Moneypenny was a unique individual.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I will always defend some of the less popular choices. I like Robert Brown and Judy Dench (who often takes a lot of heat for her alleged 'PC' manners), I like Wishaw and yes, YES, I even like Cleese. I also like Bliss and Bond. In fact, the MI6 staff has never disappointed me. Not once.

But when the question is asked, it's hard for me not to go:

M - Lee

Q - Llewellyn

MP - Maxwell

It's the boring choice no doubt, but surely it's the only choice, no? ;-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The original three. Lee, Llewellyn, Maxwell. Brown and Dench did admirable jobs in the roles of M, and I'm certain Ralph Fiennes will do a wonderful job (though Bond working for Voldemort just seems weird as hell), and may end up in the top spot, but we need to see. Whishaw is great as Q, but once again, he needs to grow into the role. As for the rest of the Moneypennys... (or would it be Moneypennies?) Caroline Bliss just seemed to over-sexualize the role (kind of like what Naomi Harris was doing in Skyfall, actually, just without the Shoot-Bond-in-the-Chest part), and Samantha Bond just seemed to be over-doing the role. Lois Maxwell played Moneypenny perfectly.
  • Lee, Llewellyn, Maxwell.

Sam Bond had good chemistry with Brosnan, and I really like Cleese and Wishaw, but I don't think anyone will ever live up to the original three.
  • TRSTN1 wrote:
    Bernard Lee as M

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

This.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    As for Miss Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell was just so perfect that none of the other actresses who followed could really measure up. In fact, unlike M and Q, I think we could have done without any more Moneypennys after Maxwell departed the series. Maybe some other secretary but they didn't need to share her name. Wasn't Moneypenny breaking in an understudy late in her tenure? That would have been the way to go, I think. We can always have an M an a Q (code names, after all) but Moneypenny was a unique individual.

Well said. I completely agree!