Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
in No Time To Die Posts: 2,138
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spectre-director-sam-mendes-returning-833138

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER - Would you do another?

SAM MENDES -Well, the most of important thing is that you can only make this decision if people want you do it, but one thing I learned from the last one is that you’re in no fit state to make any decision about your career – or any form of creative involvement in Bond – until at least six months after you’ve finished. So I think it would be foolish of me at this stage to offer anything concrete.

Comments

I'd want him.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spectre-director-sam-mendes-returning-833138

HR: Would you do another?

SM: Well, the most of important thing is that you can only make this decision if people want you do it, but one thing I learned from the last one is that you’re in no fit state to make any decision about your career – or any form of creative involvement in Bond – until at least six months after you’ve finished. So I think it would be foolish of me at this stage to offer anything concrete.
    Not. He botched it with this one. It's all senseless action and no character's involvement with an Austin Powers twist. He ruined the reboot. He needs to go.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 9,730
    I haven't seen Spectre but just looking at Skyfall no... true Spectre looks better then Skyfall (Look Color I haven't seen that in a bond film since Quantum of Solace) and I don't mind the plot twist as much as others do.

If I like Spectre as much as I hope I will say why not but honestly I am hoping someone else. Plus I am sick of one word S titles.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    Stamper wrote: »
    Not. He botched it with this one. It's all senseless action and no character's involvement with an Austin Powers twist. He ruined the reboot. He needs to go.

If this is the case, why is it necessary to heap all the blame on one man's doorstep?

Surely the producers and the scriptwriters, oh and let's not forget SP's special co-producer, had something to do with this?

Darius wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »

If this is the case, why is it necessary to heap all the blame on one man's doorstep?

Surely the producers and the scriptwriters, oh and let's not forget SP's special co-producer, had something to do with this?

Darius as director the buck stops with him. If he was not happy then it's for him to say so. But although I did not enjoy Spectre as a sequel to Dan's prior films and have major issues with the dialogue it's going down well with critics and a majority of fans.
  • DariusDarius UK
    @SirHilaryBray

The buck stops with the producers, I'm afraid. They are the ones at the top of the food chain in any film production. They hire or fire the director as the situation permits, since they are the ones controlling the money.
    I don't think on Spectre EON had creative control after the success of Skyfall it was clear Mendes and Craig were doing things their way on the creative front. Hence Craig's producer credit. I'm not alone on this a few members feel this was the case and was discussed on the production progress thread. Barbs and Mike have really taken a back seat on Spectre with Gregg and his brother taking on more responsibility as well.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Well, if the production of Bond movies has taken on more of a committee approach, then this is as good a reason as any to hand Sam Mendes his hat. Too many cooks spoil the broth, as they say.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I believe when I see SP I am going to enjoy way more than SF. However, and as much as I like Mendes as a director in general I really don't want to see him return.

Mendes does tend to learn from mistakes I believe and if he does return I suspect a more controlled development stage.

But I'm truly ready for another storyteller to try his or her hand at Bond.
    Darius wrote: »
    Well, if the production of Bond movies has taken on more of a committee approach, then this is as good a reason as any to hand Sam Mendes his hat. Too many cooks spoil the broth, as they say.

This approach occurred long before Mendes came on the scene.

Whether you fully appreciate the film or not it's still incredibly well made - and of course well staged in regards to the Mexico PTS - and it's a shame praise never goes to the production team and that Babs and Mendes seems so disliked by fans.
    I like the change in directors, it keeps the Bond franchise fresh...........though picking a non-action director for QOS was a mistake.
    Personally, i'd like to see Martin Campbell back to helm another Bond film..........this guy knows how to direct action and the narrative scenes, and just has the feel, on how to make a very good Bond film!
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I like the change in directors, it keeps the Bond franchise fresh...........though picking a non-action director for QOS was a mistake.
    Personally, i'd like to see Martin Campbell back to helm another Bond film..........this guy knows how to direct action and the narrative scenes, and just has the feel, on how to make a very good Bond film!

Surely Campbell would be treading old ground too. I liked what he did with CR but it still irks me that Campbell was so insulting and uncharitable about Dalton and his films when promoting GE.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Unless Mendes nailed SP, which judging by responses he didn't, he should go, taking Logan and Newman with him... I will retract this if come a week from Friday (Jesus) I love the film, but it's not looking too promising... They had an extra year and if the script was a couple rewrites from being finished/great as I've read, that's not forgivable.
  • I would not want him because it's been known if a director keeps coming back to the same property, his creative juices run out and can produce a product that is just not as enjoyable. I say bring in a new director, I'd love Fukunagua, or the director of Sicario, he said he was interested in doing a Bond movie. I hope they approach these two or hopefully of the same caliber.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd prefer someone new personally although I've yet to see the new film.

I think with new people we get new ideas and we keep everyone on their toes. There is a tendency to fall into habit and complacency with time......and most dangerously, to repeat what one felt caused success before....although I've heard they've not done that here.

I'd like Forster back because I think of all the most recent directors he may be the one who most would like to redeem himself and put a more clean stamp on his Bond legacy. The writer's strike during his tenure was quite unfair.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, Forster did a great job, it's was only the writers strike that hindered the script work, and I wasn't a fan of the frantic editing at the beginning of QOS, but even that settled down during the film.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I think with new people we get new ideas and we keep everyone on their toes. There is a tendency to fall into habit and complacency with time......and most dangerously, to repeat what one felt caused success before....although I've heard they've not done that here.

I'd like Forster back because I think of all the most recent directors he may be the one who most would like to redeem himself and put a more clean stamp on his Bond legacy. The writer's strike during his tenure was quite unfair.

I completely agree with you. After seeing the resume of Marc Forster, I think he should definitely come back. It wasn't fair for him to go through what he did. He's no writer and neither is anyone of the actors, so to leave it up to them to "make it work" was so stressful. I would like to see him return with a property he can sink his teeth into and have the best writers. Would love to see that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I haven't seen Spectre but just looking at Skyfall no... true Spectre looks better then Skyfall (Look Color I haven't seen that in a bond film since Quantum of Solace) and I don't mind the plot twist as much as others do.

If I like Spectre as much as I hope I will say why not but honestly I am hoping someone else. Plus I am sick of one word S titles.

Good thing you don't work for EON.
    bondjames wrote: »

I always feel slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I do actually think Forster did the best job with Bond since Glen.

SP is decent. But I really feel now that I know what a Mendes Bond movie is like and I've frankly seen enough. Mendes has severely hampered himself by insisting on the utterly uninspired Newman, and also by the stench of Purvis and Wade that sadly pervades both his films (although particularly SF).
  • I loved what Mendes did with his films so far, but I'm also done with him. I want to see someone else's vision of the Bond character and the Bond universe WITH Daniel Craig, hopefully.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Bond 25 is going to be HUGE. If Mendes does come back, I have faith that his third Bond film will not only be his best Bond film but arguably his best film in general. Mendes is a smart guy and an excellent director and most importantly he knows how to adapt and not to repeat making the same movie.

If Bond 25 continues where SP left off then expect the stakes to be higher and I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly more serious. It's strange how the fun aspect that the whole world was crying for to be returned comes back and is for 95% of the time handled perfectly and yet it's also one of the consistent criticisms across the board for both positive and negative reviews.

The script writing process for SP was a shambles and it's a mistake that EoN aren't or I at least expect them not to repeat for the next movie, furthermore, what's going to really help Bond 25 is the competition. The new Bourne movie with Damon and Greengrass is out next year and like it or not, it will have a bearing to some extent on the navigation of where Bond 25 takes us tonally. Bourne will be a hit, that's not even up for debate but it's thriller style and lethal action will no doubt help Bond 25 in it's approach to be a different movie from SP and not be repeated.

I personally loved SP, a solid 8.5/10 for me but it lacked a thoroughness and a smoother sense of cohesion compared to CR.

Mendes will observe the positive and negative feedback of SP and I'm sure if he does direct a third Bond movie I can see him taking the best bits of SF, the more layered aspects and combining it with the best bits of SP but without compromising heavily on the fun aspect because as it is; SP is a fun and exciting movie that does away with the dourness and that's one of the major contributors to SP going on to be a huge success.
    I'd rather they go in a different direction. Even if SPECTRE manages to be better than Skyfall (a low bar to clear), I'd rather see a new vision for the franchise moving forward, whether it's with Craig or with a new actor in the role. I'd like to see them keep a similar tone, but the "this time it's personal" nonsense can't be over and done with in the franchise soon enough.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think Bond 25 is going to be HUGE. If Mendes does come back, I have faith that his third Bond film will not only be his best Bond film but arguably his best film in general. Mendes is a smart guy and an excellent director and most importantly he knows how to adapt and not to repeat making the same movie.

If Bond 25 continues where SP left off then expect the stakes to be higher and I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly more serious. It's strange how the fun aspect that the whole world was crying for to be returned comes back and is for 95% of the time handled perfectly and yet it's also one of the consistent criticisms across the board for both positive and negative reviews.

The script writing process for SP was a shambles and it's a mistake that EoN aren't or I at least expect them not to repeat for the next movie, furthermore, what's going to really help Bond 25 is the competition. The new Bourne movie with Damon and Greengrass is out next year and like it or not, it will have a bearing to some extent on the navigation of where Bond 25 takes us tonally. Bourne will be a hit, that's not even up for debate but it's thriller style and lethal action will no doubt help Bond 25 in it's approach to be a different movie from SP and not be repeated.

I personally loved SP, a solid 8.5/10 for me but it lacked a thoroughness and a smoother sense of cohesion compared to CR.

Mendes will observe the positive and negative feedback of SP and I'm sure if he does direct a third Bond movie I can see him taking the best bits of SF, the more layered aspects and combining it with the best bits of SP but without compromising heavily on the fun aspect because as it is; SP is a fun and exciting movie that does away with the dourness and that's one of the major contributors to SP going on to be a huge success.

For me the on-going weakness for Bond is plot/story/screenplay. SP is actually fairly solid, but it does feel slightly plodding compared to CR. There are some nice lines in SP but I think there's plenty of work for EON to do on this front. It's a shame that time after time the writing seems to be a bit last-minute.

I don't really see Mendes doing anything new or interesting with a third movie and I sense he probably feels the same way. Time for some one new.

I'd like a film that falls between SP and QoS in terms of length and pace.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Don't be silly, of course we should all welcome him back. :)
    doubleoego wrote: »

That's just it, SPECTRE isn't Skyfall 2. Mendes is unlikely to have done it if it had been.

If SPECTRE proves to be huge at the box office I can very much see EON wanting Craig and Mendes back that one more time.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't think on Spectre EON had creative control after the success of Skyfall it was clear Mendes and Craig were doing things their way on the creative front. Hence Craig's producer credit. I'm not alone on this a few members feel this was the case and was discussed on the production progress thread. Barbs and Mike have really taken a back seat on Spectre with Gregg and his brother taking on more responsibility as well.

Would that be the self same brother who oversaw the production of the acclaimed 007 Legends?

Excuse me while I go out and find a coffin marked 'James Bond Film Series' to start hammering nails into.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Good thing you don't work for EON.
    Good thing I am not condescending like you are.
    I need to see spectre first before i decide
    I'll pass. I think we need some fresh blood.