Rosamund Pike Gets Female Lead In Tom Cruise's 'One Shot'

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited March 2012 in Actors Posts: 13,350
Rosamund Pike is negotiating for the female lead opposite Tom Cruise in One Shot, the Christopher McQuarrie-directed adaptation of the bestselling Lee Child novel series for Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions. Pike was among a small group of actresses vying for the role. The British actress played Andromeda in Clash of the Titans 2, and she recently wrapped the David Frankel-directed The Big Year opposite Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin, and the Rowan Atkinson comedy Johnny English Reborn.

Cruise is playing Jack Reacher, the retired military policeman who wanders the country with only his passport, bankbook, toothbrush and the clothes on his back. He finds his way into scrapes, taking the side of the underdog. In One Shot, Reacher investigates a case in which a lone sniper murders five victims before being captured. Reacher discovers it's more than a simple open-and-shut case.

Pike will play Helen Rodin, a local defense attorney defending the man arrested for the shootings. She works with Reacher to bring the true culprits to justice. Don Granger and Cruise will produce through Mutual Film Company and C/W Productions. Skydance's David Ellison and Dana Goldberg are producing as is Gary Levinsohn and Paula Wagner, and Ken Kamins is exec producer. UTA reps Pike with Shelly Browning and UK-based Dallas Smith.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/rosamund-pike-gets-female-lead-in-tom-cruises-one-shot/

<i>One Shot</i> will be released on the 8th of February 2013 21st of December 2012 in the USA.

Comments

• edited August 2011 Posts: 161
    Hopefully this will get her some well-deserved recognition. She's one of the best young actresses out there. It's such a shame she was wasted on DAD.
    I have read a few of the Reacher books, and I cannot see Cruise as the character. Reacher is 6'7, and Cruise is a foot shorter. Will he be standing on a 12" box? Ego can only lift him so high!
    I have read a few of the Reacher books, and I cannot see Cruise as the character. Reacher is 6'7, and Cruise is a foot shorter. Will he be standing on a 12" box? Ego can only lift him so high!
    I agree Tom Cruise is the last person I envision as Jack Reacher. Can that Moron not mess up some other character.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Cruise haters here too. But at least not from the religious perspective. I think Tom is great, he is one of the greatest actors of all time, evidence from all the great films he has been apart of. So many famous quotes. I think the film looks interesting, and should be entertaining with Tom and Wagner getting together to produce again. =D>
    Well, Phillip Marlow, that tall quiet PI from L.A. was perfectly played by Bogard as a small wiry smart aleck, and he nailed the character for generations.

But the problem here isn't simply that Reacher is 6'7 where Cruise is not. Reacher's built is practically all there is to the character. Without it there is nothing left that makes Reacher even halfway believable. The guy goes into each fight as if he was 12 feet tall and made of granite. That kind of confidence would seem simply ludicrous with someone like Cruise. Cruise can do action, even quite convincing and entertaining action. But for Reacher he's not the right man IMO.
    When Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine for X-MEN, there was a backlash from fans of the comics because is over a foot taller than the character. Yet, he was incredibly well-received in the role. So I see no reason why Cruise cannot play Reacher simply because he is shorter than Child's description of the man.

However, having read one or two Reacher novels, I have to say I have no hope for this film. The books were terrible.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The film is now due out 21st December. It's just been moved. You can now catch Pike two months earlier!

Side note: Along with this move, Marc Forster's World War Z has been pushed back to Summer 2013 from late this year.
    I know no one will capture the exact spirit of a character as written in a book, so I have no issue with Cruise the actor pulling it off it's just having read a few of these books it seems that the size of Reacher is actually a very important aspect of the character, he is supposed to be physically imposing.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2012 Posts: 12,459
    I know no one will capture the exact spirit of a character as written in a book, so I have no issue with Cruise the actor pulling it off it's just having read a few of these books it seems that the size of Reacher is actually a very important aspect of the character, he is supposed to be physically imposing.

Yes, I agree his size is a factor. Although, I would personally never cast Cruise (for a few reasons) - but I have read nearly all the Reacher books (I do enjoy them) so I can say that Reacher's size is a factor in all of the stories. The filmmakers will have to emphasize some other traits the character has in spades: watchfulness, quiet, self contained, sharp, and totally self confident man who is really in control of his temper and is always going fight for the helpless or downtrodden. Come fo think of it, rather like the great archtypical western: A loner comes to town ...

So I do not like Cruise in many regards, but I am trying to be hopeful they do this right. Ghost Protocal drew great reviews from fans, even those who do not wholeheartedly like Cruise, so I am hoping this will be ok since I do like the Reacher character.

As for Rosamund, I do like her and I hope she shines well in this film and gets good reviews for it. It's nice to see her in a lead role.