Most Underrated Bond Films

Was thinking about some of the more divisive bond films (some of the Moore films for example) and wondered if anyone thought they were underrated or were even their favorites. A personal one of mine is A View To A Kill, for many long reasons I won't mention here ;)

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    NSNA. Fleming plot. Great one liners.Great villans. Connery. Let down by a poor score and the lack of the theme tune and gunbarrel for legal reasons. Generally hated on here....
  • Love roger moore best bond in my opinion, my favorite is definitely the spy who loved me
  • Tbf I don't have an opinion on that as I believe it was pretty pointless remaking Thunderball, was nice to see Connery reprising the role though
  • Definitely agree with you Edwain92, your opinion is spot on
  • Thanks, I think a view to a kill was massively underrated however and feel it was alot better than most give it credit for, i particularly enjoyed Patrick Macnee's little role
    Zorin was a great villan too.
  • Glad you think so. Patrick Macnee lended a great character to the film, and him and Moore bounced off each other delightfully
  • Yes Zorin was!!! Thought Walken did a great job
  • I also thought that George Lazenby was a decent bond, shame it was only for one film
  • I think all the copies of that film should be destroooooyed!!!
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,131
    What! OHMSS is one of the best bond films! Great story, score, director, faithful to Fleming. With regards to the public it's underrated....but on here it is generally loved and highly rated.
  • im sad you feel that way LosNick, i felt it was so underrated, I think that telly savalas massively underplayed his role.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Solely looking at my personal rankings from June and comparing them to the general consensus, I consider Tomorrow Never Dies and Quantum Of Solace to be underrated. The former is a fantastic modern plot with an innovative villain that shines amidst the familiar tropes and high powered weaponry. Quantum Of Solace has plenty of thematic and performance substance that power another film that has a great modern plot and soundtrack.

There are other films too, like Diamonds Are Forever, but I have them outside of my top ten and can't seriously defend them on a critical level.
  • Good film, just didn't like Lazenby
    Ah right....fair enough. I though he was ok given the circumstances.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Ah right....fair enough. I thought he was ok given the circumstances and lack of acting experience.
  • Yeah he definitely had the look
  • i dont think that tomorrow never dies was underrated, jonathon pryce played a really good villain and it was one of brosnans better bond performances.
    Pryce was far too panto!
  • no way he genuinely seemed insane and hell bent on his goals
  • I loved the panto of Pryce, and yeah I don't remember it being underrated it was a very good entry and one of the two good Brosnan bond movies
    Edwain92 wrote: »
    i dont think that tomorrow never dies was underrated, jonathon pryce played a really good villain and it was one of brosnans better bond performances.
    I'm glad we agree. However, Tomorrow Never Dies is often ranked in the bottom quarter of films in the franchise by the members of this community.
  • Yeah Edwain92 when he's like 'There's no news, like bad news" loved it
  • I dont undertand why, its definately in my top 5 bond movies however i must say that quantum of solace is my least favourite and possibly overrated
  • Thats one of my fave elliot carver quotes
  • Quantum of Solace is absolutely awful! The worst bond film for sure
    @Edwain92 -- For something to be overrated, it needs to be given majority praise. That is clearly not the case with Quantum Of Solace, though, it has a nice contingent of support here.
  • @Mansfield -- yeah it's definitely not overrated which I'm glad about because it has no redeeming features at all except for the intro car chase which lasted all of 1 minute.
  • and the first 10 seconds of the song
  • Yeah and that, man that theme was terrible
This discussion has been closed.