The Football (aka Soccer) Thread - 2011/2012 Season

edited August 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 321
Couldn't see a thread for this so thought I would get one going.

With the Premier League just about to start and I'm about to sit and watch my beloved Liverpool FC take on Sunderland in their first Premier League game, I sit with maximum optimism. Fresh start for the club, new, and very good signings, proven manager in Kenny Dalglish and highly supportive owners.

Very excited that the 2011/2012 Barclays Premier League season is going to be an absolute cracker. Some very good, established teams and some great transfers.

Well, I'm interested in everyone else's opinions etc but for now I'm gonna sit and watch LFC. C'mon The Reds.

YNWA

Comments

I follow lfc as well and was a bit dissapointed in not getting a win at home.
  • Yep, very diappointed after the draw at home to Sunderland. However, the team will take time to gel and I'm sure they'll be a force to be reckoned with. On to Saturday and ther Gunners.
    Hey @007JamesBond as an American, I highly appreciate you acknowledging that football can be called soccer too. We Americans take a lot of flak about that, and I really don't see why it's a big deal. I am excited for the start of the EPL too. I'm not able to watch as many games as I would like to because television coverage of the EPL is still not great over here across the pond, but it's picking up. I especially want to see how the few Americans we have over there perform this year. Dempsey, Holden, and TIm Howard in particular are great ambassadors for the American game, and I hope they have big years again like they did last season.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sadly I cant see this year being any different to last. Man Utd looked again average but no one else is good enough to overtake them. While the rest of us get dismal draws they get their usual OG to give them the 3 points. Hardly Barcelona but theyre already clear at the top.
    Luiz Suarez looks proper class and I'd like to think LFC can mount a challenge but after battering Sunderland 1st half we still only come away with a point so honestly the best we can hope for is 4th as Wengers intransigency drags Arsenal out of the CL spots.

Always willing to extend the hand of footballing friendship to a sceptic who is interested in the beautiful game over what passes for sport in America but sorry shutch7 while I'll let you off 'soccer', I cant let EPL stand. No one I know - even Sky - calls it that. Oh and you might be interested to know that you can see more games live stateside than we can over here due to the ludicrous laws that are still in place that assume if I cant watch the premier league on TV I'll automatically go and pay £25 to watch Charlton or Millwall.
    Ouch @TheWizardOfice, let me off on soccer but EPL isn't allowed? lol It's just easier to say and type than Barclays Premier League, and a lot of people over here call it that but I guess we're wrong about that too. Also, I'm not a skeptic. I love soccer, and I have played it all my life. I actually just want to help dispel the myths about Americans that we don't like the game, or that we somehow don't understand it, or that we somehow want to change the way Europeans have been playing it for forever.

I'm not sure which sports you're referring to but I assume it's American football. As I tell all the people who bash it, I would invite you over here any day to actually learn the game and appreciate the skill. Europeans tell Americans all the time about soccer, "If you learned the game, you would appreciate it and love it." Well the same thing is true about American sports. Don't knock it until you try it. I would be interested to know if you were talking about another sport too.

And that really sucks about the tv coverage. Do they at least let you watch the local teams? Or we have this thing in America where if the stadium is not sold out for a game, they will "blackout" the game for people in the local area in hopes that they will buy the tickets. The thing with it over here is that the games are played on really obscure sports channels or channels that are specifically devoted to a particular league, and those don't come on basic cable or satellite tv coverage.
    That man u own goal sucks.....They seem to have all the luck
    I can't beleive suarez missed the penalty,and andy carrolls goal should have stood.
    After watching my beloved Swans loose to Man City this season, i think City will surprise a few people and i can see them leap United at the top. For us i can see us staying up, if we play the way we did. It is not everyday you will play against multi million pound players. If we grind out results against lower division teams we will do ok. I have a soft spot for Liverpool especially Jan the man Molby. Would like them to finish runner up this season to Swansea (good to dream !)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Here's the team to watch.
    http://www.chelseafc.com/javaImages/b8/4c/0,,10268~3689656,00.gif
    Because they're awesome.
    I personally look forward to some great games by Barcelona and think that Ajax Amsterdam will remain the Dutch Champion this season. The British clubs generally are as good as the foreign players they have hired. That said I always liked Arsenal with Wenger.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Any Arsenal fans out there?

Funniest thing I've seen in football since Di Canio pushed over the ref - and coming from a Liverpool fan thats saying a lot when I should normally be despising a Utd romp.
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin
    Great draw for Ireland in the playoffs today in getting Estonia by no means an easy game but almost certainly the best draw we could have got and we're home in the 2nd leg to top it off B-)
    Poor Rooney for not getting to play on Euro2012. England suddenly got weaker in offensive aspect.
  • I don't care much for soccer, bunch of overpaid mercenaries these days, but can't help but be dragged in when the World Cup gets played off every four years, The United States actually had a good side about eight or 10 years ago and we pulled off some surprise results and did well in the World Cup in Asia a few years ago before beaten by eventual finalists Germany in the later rounds

Even held the English to a draw in last years tournament which surprised some people, cue a few condescending remarks from various areas, i.e. what a 'great result for us', 'didn't we do well', etc. It's not as if any team on the earth has any divine right to win matches, it is after all, 11 men against 11, that on the day anything can happen. Point being, no longer pushovers and with players like Donovan, Howard, Dempsey and Altidore in the squad there's always a chance to spring a surprise, we was even ranked about 6th in the world as recently as 2003 if memory serves B-)
  • Ooh, United-Liverpool tomorrow and I'm off to watch it on a 58-inch TV at my mate's house :)
    The Liverpool - United game was great.
  • Well, there was 1 shot on target in the first half, but the second half was excellent. Henderson really should have scored twice and Suarez's early miss was glaring. I'm pretty relieved as a United fan to have held them to a draw.
    As a liverpool fan i'm a bit dissapointed not to win..
    edited November 2011 Posts: 27
    Back in the European Championships for the first time in 24 years B-)

Granted the 2nd leg against Estonia is still to come but given that we've had a pretty solid defence througout the campaign with the exception of Russia at home and the fact that Estonia have to score 5 and the last time Ireland conceded 5 goals at home was 82 years ago against Spain in 1929 it's safe to say it's all over
  • I'm a soccer fan, but I've really only been following La Liga. Real Madrid is my favorite team.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The US Women's Soccer Team will be playing a friendly against Sweden this Saturday in Glendale, AZ. I shall be there.