Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

http://news.sky.com/story/1544871/will-spectre-be-craigs-final-bond-appearance

The story is also posted on Forbes magazine's website

Comments

After May comes a lot a next months in which to reconsider. May be his last, June is a whole different kettle of fish
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 5
    He didn't want to do another after SF either, he said he was tired. And he's even more tired now right after his fourth naturally. I read that Connery was really fed up after Thunderball. But at least he's not totally sure what he's gonna do. I really want him to do another one.
  • In that article Craig says nothing of the sort.

"Less sexist and misogynistic." "The world has changed." Ho hum. Sounds like Craig is channeling his inner Brosnan. Perhaps he should go, as long as Elba doesn't replace him.
    Craig just finished filming almost a month ago and is still probably doing a lot of voice over and other stuff post production with this movie. He's burned out. This is the biggest Bond film ever made. I think the last thing on his mind is him making another one. Give the guy some time to recover, let's see how spectre does financially and critically and then he will make his decision
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree, He's just finished filming, he's tired and probably
    doesn't want to think about starting another one. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In that article Craig says nothing of the sort.

"Less sexist and misogynistic." "The world has changed." Ho hum. Sounds like Craig is channeling his inner Brosnan. Perhaps he should go, as long as Elba doesn't replace him.

giphy.gif
    If SP is successful, I wonder if EON will be desperate to keep Craig for one more film as it would be a kind of end run around the pressure to cast Elba. By B26, Elba will clearly be way to old for a 10 year run. I wouldn't underestimate the pressure on EON to cast Elba in B25, orchestrated by Elba himself in interviews (which has been going on for years) and by the press. An alternative scenario is that Craig is indeed firmly out, Warners, Nolan and a new Bond are in, and EON will announce it all well after SP opens.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Interesting comments from Craig.
    Would he at least like to do another one? “At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.”

The fact he's said "at the moment, no" is quite revealing. I don't think he's ever said that before. Perhaps he feels he'd done his bit for the franchise - four films is enough - and wants to move on. The Bond Begins aspects of Craig's tenure is over, perhaps Craig doesn't feel the character has a new direction to go in Bond 25?

Personally speaking, if this is his last Bond film I'd prefer him to announce it in 2016 rather than continue a "yes/no/maybe" kind of response for the next two years. If there is doubt about him returning I'd rather it's not dragged out for the next 18 months or more.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If he isn't returning, then he most certainly won't announce it until next year, as to not take away from SP's spotlight.
    I'm going to say right now Elba is never getting the role.
    Ask Babs or Michael about the next Bond film and I'm pretty sure they'll give very similar answers to craig; it's not something they can think about.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I'm going to say right now Elba is never getting the role.

I agree he won't get it and even if he did, that would be so humiliating for EoN. All this credibility they've tried rebuilding would have gone straight out the window with this pandering rubbish.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I would imagine there would be studio pressure put on Craig to return if SPECTRE does huge box office. Having said that, Die Another Day did great box office and Brosnan wasn't asked back.

I dunno... it's a tricky one, isn't it? Four Bond films - a very popular Bond actor in Craig - huge box office but a new Bond actor would freshen things up.

Too hard to call. ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    He's just stalling for time so we'll have to wait another three years again.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    There's always a chance. But from what we've heard he will honor his contract. He says he would miss doing them if this was his last.

So, give him a few months and he'll be back into it
  • After MR, didn't Moore start saying he didn't want to do another Bond? And we ended up getting three more.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    I would not under estimate the power of the press and pc politics to bring huge pressure on EON to cast Elba if B25 is possibly open for a new Bond. EON obviously knows that they will need to maneuver smartly to avoid the onslaught before it begins. They were very diplomatic in their recent interview when the subject of Elba came up. I think they detest the idea of having to work with some one as arrogant as Elba. Working with a Bond is a long, long haul and they couldn't possibly want an actor who wasn't easy to work with. Sean may have gotten surly over time, but it was over money. The other guys (I don't count Laz) all seemed to work well with EON.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I think he will say something different in 2016 after seeing the success of Spectre he will change his tune.

Let's wait a year and see what happens.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

If he's contracted to 5 he will have no choice anyhow?
  • RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »

Not how it works. We should forget all talk of contracts.
    smitty wrote: »
    I would not under estimate the power of the press and pc politics to bring huge pressure on EON to cast Elba if B25 is possibly open for a new Bond. EON obviously knows that they will need to maneuver smartly to avoid the onslaught before it begins. They were very diplomatic in their recent interview when the subject of Elba came up. I think they detest the idea of having to work with some one as arrogant as Elba. Working with a Bond is a long, long haul and they couldn't possibly want an actor who wasn't easy to work with. Sean may have gotten surly over time, but it was over money. The other guys (I don't count Laz) all seemed to work well with EON.

Has hell frozen over??? No chance.
  • RC7 wrote: »

Not how it works. We should forget all talk of contracts.

Yeah - contracts mean nothing.
    Not in my job. However, I'm less familier with actors contracts. Surely if you sign a contract as an actor you have to appear in the films the studio/ filmaker agree with you? The studio or filmakers could drop an actor though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't toy with me.
    It totally depends on the contract, and how it was written and how air tight it is. I would think EON has full control in their contracts with plenty of out clauses to let them do what ever they want. It all depends on who has the power, and how well the contracts are vetted to make them air tight. Usually the producers and studio have the power, but sometimes an actor like Downey will have the clout for a series like Iron Man where the franchise kind of rests on his participation - for now. Craig, Bond # 6. doesn't have that kind of leverage.
    If I can take a guess I believe Craig's first contract was 2 mandatory films with an option of a 3rd and it was completed with skyfall. Then he signed up for 2 more Bond films 1 mandatory (spectre) then 1 optional film (Bond 25)

Btw how do optional films on the actors contract work? It is basically the actors decision if he wants to do it or not and the producers have no choice but to give him the film?
    if Craig does three more I will look back on this thread and laugh.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After MR, didn't Moore start saying he didn't want to do another Bond? And we ended up getting three more.

After TSWLM even.
    One good thing about Brozzer over Craig....He always wanted the role more! He was gutted when he got the push.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    If I can take a guess I believe Craig's first contract was 2 mandatory films with an option of a 3rd and it was completed with skyfall. Then he signed up for 2 more Bond films 1 mandatory (spectre) then 1 optional film (Bond 25)

Btw how do optional films on the actors contract work? It is basically the actors decision if he wants to do it or not and the producers have no choice but to give him the film?

Totally depends on the wording in the contract dictated by who has the the power. Others may know more detail about this.
This discussion has been closed.