Terrence Young or Guy Hamilton ?

SzonanaSzonana Mexico
in Bond Movies Posts: 1,130
Ok guys, of these Bond Directors who deserves more credit for the creation of the cinematic Bond ?

Terrence for being the first and in some way making Sean learn to be a gentleman or Guy Hamilton who made Goldfinger and that film is what made the departure from Fleming's Bond by giving it the full of Gadgets Aston Martin giving and making the Bond girls quite over the top and making the memorables henchmen.

Comments

It's all about Young for me. You can give Hamilton some points for packaging the thing in a nicer bow and his angle for how Q should be played, but that's about it. If Hamilton had done the first one as I guess it was once intended, I don't think it would have come off the way it needed to at all, and we'd've had something something safe & slick.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    trevanian wrote: »
    It's all about Young for me. You can give Hamilton some points for packaging the thing in a nicer bow and his angle for how Q should be played, but that's about it. If Hamilton had done the first one as I guess it was once intended, I don't think it would have come off the way it needed to at all, and we'd've had something something safe & slick.

Wow nice trivia fact
    Thank you very much, i didn't know Hamilton was an option for the first two. I now wonder how they would have looked.
    Anyway i like more Terrence Young. My two favorite Sean Connery Bond movies are Dr No and thunderball both directed by Young but on the other hand i prefer Goldfinger over from Russia with Love.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Chicken or the egg? It's a tough one because they both influenced the films in a big way. DN and FRWL are more polished than Hamilton's films but Bond mania might not have kicked off if GF had been a straight spy thriller like the first two films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Terence Young for me - who is more faithful to the original Bond novels being the chief selection criteria here.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
This discussion has been closed.