Villain Death Traps: The Best and the Worst

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
As a regular part of the Bond movies, the villains always have to place 007 in a death trap which he "cannot escape." Out of all of them, which do you think were great, and which were poor?

Here are a few I enjoy:
-The shark pool in Thunderball: I like this one because it wasn't something elaborate that looks like the villain took hours to prepare. It was simply spur of the moment, a split-second decision by Largo that would have worked out, had Q not equipped 007 with a handy re-breather device.

-The Centrifuge trainer in Moonraker: Again, it's just something that was spur of the moment. Chang saw that 007 was inside the trainer, so he found a convenient way to kill him, making it look like a malfunction.

-Kristatos' trap in For Your Eyes Only: Even though this one probably took a little longer to set up, it was a simple yet effective means of killing Bond and Melina. The brutal torture of having their backs torn open by the rocks, and then their blood attracting the sharks is just pure evil!

Some I didn't like:
-Helga Brandt's plane: What a ridiculous "trap"! Very poorly thought out. She had no idea if Bond carried anything to cut free of the wooden board, and if he did cut through, his 00 status would most definitely include pilot skills. No wonder Blofeld fed her to the piranhas!

-Whisper's traffic trap: He shot Bond's cab driver with the dart, but not Bond? Really? And as if Bond didn't have the knowledge to lean up over the backseat and take the wheel! Not very smart at all...

Comments

• edited August 2011 Posts: 303
    One of my favourites:
    - Goldfinger: Where Goldfinger has Bond strapped, layed-down on a table, with a powerful laser slowly closing-in between his legs, and there is no way 007 can get free, well except for 'talking', ofcourse.

Can't think of a bad trap yet
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some of my favorites:

- Kristatos' trap in FYEO. I loved how it dragged on, and every time he turned around, Bond and Melina had just a few short seconds to cut the rope more and more.

- The alligator pit in LALD. Bond going from confident to captured, then given a brief history of the alligators, and then unwillingly being locked in there with them. Excellent escape, too. I love how that, because the watch didn't work, he devised a split-second plan to just book it across their backs.

- The train in GE. One of my favorites: Trevelyan's little quip about giving Bond the 'same six minutes you gave me', and having Bond recognize they only have three just makes the scene more intense. And as Bond is desperately trying to open the hatch and grab Natalya, the music builds up and she gets closer and closer to naming the location of their final destination. So dramatic.

@Creasy47: Nice choices with #2 and #3! I've always liked those. Very well thought out, with little chance of Bond escaping. Of course, as we all know, he'll find a way!
    @Creasy47: Nice choices with #2 and #3! I've always liked those. Very well thought out, with little chance of Bond escaping. Of course, as we all know, he'll find a way!
    Absolutely! Speaking of LALD, I love the ending trap: tieing them up and slowly sending them into the vat of sharks. Beautiful plan, and once again, Bond's metallic watch saves the day. I thought it was really cool how Bond shoves the air compressor tube into Kananga's mouth, but the death was extremely cheesy. Nevertheless, still a good trap.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended

Absolutely! Speaking of LALD, I love the ending trap: tieing them up and slowly sending them into the vat of sharks. Beautiful plan, and once again, Bond's metallic watch saves the day. I thought it was really cool how Bond shoves the air compressor tube into Kananga's mouth, but the death was extremely cheesy. Nevertheless, still a good trap.
    I hated that.

One of the movie cliche - the villain always want to talk too much and waste their time with elaborate killing techniques.

He should had just tied them together real tight, bind their mouths, make a cut on Bond's arm and push them into the pool shark

or better yet, take a gun and shoot them point blank.

This is one of the elements that the Austin Powers films and Last Action Hero so successfully made fun of!!
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189

I hated that.

One of the movie cliche - the villain always want to talk too much and waste their time with elaborate killing techniques.

He should had just tied them together real tight, bind their mouths, make a cut on Bond's arm and push them into the pool shark

or better yet, take a gun and shoot them point blank.

This is one of the elements that the Austin Powers films and Last Action Hero so successfully made fun of!!

The whole "talking to Bond and giving him an elaborate death rather than shooting him point blank" has always been associated with Bond - right back to Fleming's days.
    the torture chair in TWINE
    sharks in TB
    exploding helicopter in GE.
    Ahh, totally forgot about the torture chair in TWINE. "One...last...screw." Bet that was extremely painful. Though it isn't a 'death trap', per se, but when Renard is pushing on Bond's shoulder, just to get his attention.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The centrifuge scene is one of the best the series has to offer due to Moore who helps so much by playing it completely straight. Shark pools, torture chairs, death by crocodiles are also fine by me too.

I'm not keen on the Goldfinger scene where the gangsters are killed - due to the awful acting primarily.
    The centrifuge scene is one of the best the series has to offer due to Moore who helps so much by playing it completely straight. Shark pools, torture chairs, death by crocodiles are also fine by me too.

I'm not keen on the Goldfinger scene where the gangsters are killed - due to the awful acting primarily.
    It was okay, but not magnificent. I like the flashing lights and the eerie music, but you're right about the gangsters. They're pretty cheesy and unnatural.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Le Chiffre and Bond in the barge. Le Chiffre has Bond right where he wants him and almost makes Bond lose his little friend before White rushes in. I like this scene because If White wouldn't have showed, Bond had no way to get out of that situation.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,459
    I would have loved seeing the barge scene's ending if White was 20 seconds late.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I would have loved seeing the barge scene's ending if White was 20 seconds late.
    Don't talk like that @Creasy! If that were the case Bond could only arouse Vesper with his little finger and could only have Fields help him find the bathroom in the hotel!
  • Being cremated alive in a coffin-DAF. The fact that Bond only escapes because of a bluff means that had he not thought ahead he would have suffocated and then been burned.
    @0Brady, you have me there! They would have looked for that stationery all night.

@Hank_Scorpio, those are my exact thoughts with the torture scene: Bond obviously wasn't giving in, so he would have let Le Chiffre cut away anything he wanted, resulting in him bleeding out and dying. It's really great what he says about torture - it's the simplest thing to make a man feel more pain than he could possibly imagine. It's why the CR torture scene is great - simplistic, yet you feel the pain. I wince every time I see it.
    Being cremated alive in a coffin-DAF. The fact that Bond only escapes because of a bluff means that had he not thought ahead he would have suffocated and then been burned.
    Yeah, that death trap was interesting. I like the ones where the villains use what they have when it's readily availible. And the great thing about the coffin trap is what you mentioned, that Bond had no way out except the mercy of Shady Tree and Morton Slumber.
    "one... last... screw". an iconic line. TWINE torture is honestly better than CR's. oh and
    @0Brady, you have me there!
    "yeah. here. there. anywhere you like".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    "one... last... screw". an iconic line.

That scene is a masterclass in Painface.
    what's Painface?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    what's Painface?
    Brosnan's horrendous acting. The epic constipation face he makes in every flick.
    Don't mention painface Jinx or all the anti-Brosnsan brigade will have a field day explaining it to you and showing the ever reliable photos .
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    "one... last... screw". an iconic line.

That scene is a masterclass in Painface.
    Saw that classic yesterday, hoho

@barryt007 I'd like to see some of these photos. what do you guys mean?
    Oh God,i tried,show her the photos chaps.........
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,459
    I don't think you want to, Jinx. I'm a die hard fan and even I think they're hilarious.
    Oh no, not the Painface pictures..... #-O
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Jinx, you've had the misfortune of watching Brosnan ac... sorry, I can't finish that word. If you have seen the Brosnan films, you've seen Painface.
    The conveyor belt during the finale of LTK. Just watching Bond dangle from the end of it, his ties BARELY helping him hang on just makes it nerve-wracking, yet a very easy death trap to set up. Obviously played by ear, and it worked...for the time being, that is.
    Oh God,i tried,show her the photos chaps.........
    ok so I must be hungry because I read that as "show her the potato chips". too funny.
    I liked the bomb Renard set in the Kazakhstan missile silo in TWINE. It was clever because it forced Bond to think on his feet - he was in an enclosed space with an explosive, so the tunnel would direct the blast towards him. And because he had so little time, he couldn't out-run it. So he thought on his feet, grabbing the chains mounted to the roof that Renard had used to transport the warhead, and letting the concussive force to the explosion push him down the length of the tunnel.

I also enjoyed two of the concepts behind certain death-traps in DAD, but the execution was very poor. Firstly, I liked the idea of the laser fight, with Bond having to fight a villain in an environment that could kill him and was constantly changing. However, the presence of Mr. Kil and Jinx let the scene down, and the lasers defied logic (why would somebody have or need diamond-cutting lasers in a fake diamond mine?). Secondly, I liked the idea behind the dying plane, even if there was an excess of CGI, hammy dialogue, lapses in logic (a bird going through a jet engine would destroy said engine, yet a man in a Robocop suit causes it no damage) and bizarre jump-cuts (like when General Moon gets shot; the camera freezes for no particular reason). The dying plane put a time limit on Bond, and forced him to complete his mission and find a way to escape before killing him. It was a bit like the Cessna in GE (which wasn't really a death-trap): Bond had to catch it and take control of it before it crashed.