Could A Bond Film Ever Contain A Member Of The Royal Family In It?

edited July 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 39
A guest appareance by prince william or prince harry would be just incredible. Maybe giving Bond a briefing before sending him on a mission

APparently Princess Di was a keen fan of Bond and was considered to appear before her car wreck.

Comments

• DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    They showed "Charles de Gaulle" in (the original) Day of the Jackal--I can see Bond similarly saving the life of England's crowned head. Imagine it would be an actor, though, and not the Real McQueen.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,804
    If they ever filmed John Gardner's Never Send Flowers (1993) they could as it features a plot by my namesake to assassinate Princess Diana and her two sons on a Royal trip to Euro Disney in Paris. I kid you not. Obviously, the target would have to be changed given the tragic death of Lady Diana in the Parisian tunnel in August 1997. I still can't see this happening though.

P.S. It's great to see you back, @DrunkIrishPoet. Don't be a stranger!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They were going to have a Charles and Diana look alike in TLD, but dropped
    the idea. (Similar to the Maggie Thatcher scene at the end of FYEO ).
    Of course the Queen has appeared with Bond at the opening of the London
    Olympics, so you could say she's a Bond girl too. ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Given how 'stiff' the Royal family are I think 'acting in a film would be a stretch too far. Happy for an actor to portray the parts though.
    @suavejmf: "stiff"?? Did you see Her with Dan at the Olympics???
    But, yeah, realistically--it will most likely have to be actors faking it.
    @Dragonpol: embarrassed to admit I have not read the continuation novels. I could pretend to be a Fleming purist and a literary snob, but really it is only a matter of time... if only I had all the time in the world! But it's good to be back--thanks.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Did you know that there are two mentions non-British royals, both Dutch, in the Bond films? One example was Crown Prince Willem-Alexander? You can see his name on the side of the tourist boat in Amsterdam, in DAF. He turned King of The Netherlands in 2013.

But a more directly mention of a non-British royal can be seen in TB. King Willem-Alexander's grandfather was Dutch Prince-Consort Bernard of Lippe Biesterfeld (Former Count Lippe). He actually worked during WW II in London on the same department as Ian Fleming. They actually knew each other quite well, even shared some afternoon lunches together.

To commemorate him Ian Fleming named a character in the novel "Thunderball" directly to him: Count Lippe. The man we would eventually see as a S.P.E.C.T.R.E.-henchman. Eventually killed by Fiona Volle.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    @suavejmf: "stiff"?? Did you see Her with Dan at the Olympics???
    But, yeah, realistically--it will most likely have to be actors faking it.

Yep. She said 1x line. Stiff as a board and emotionless as ever..
    I think it would be too gimmicky for a member of the Royal family to cameo in a film. I'm more than happy with the 2012 skit and a simple nod once and a while (like in OHMSS).
    Too gimmicky indeed! I don't understand why anyone would want that at all. Maggie Thatcher was enough...
    Imagine if the Queen or Prince Charles had a cameo in DAD outside Buckingham Palace?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    @Dragonpol: embarrassed to admit I have not read the continuation novels. I could pretend to be a Fleming purist and a literary snob, but really it is only a matter of time... if only I had all the time in the world! But it's good to be back--thanks.

Not to worry. We are all learning our Bondism every day. Great to see you back - I love your username and am Northern Irish myself. ;)