Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• What a cool surprise! Thom Mathews is returning as Tommy Jarvis in the new Friday the 13th game!

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/exclusive-tommy-jarvis-reprised-by-thom-mathews-in-friday-the-13-the-game-first-footage/

friday-the-13th-the-game-tommy-jarvis.png

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bravo to the dev team. I'm now curious as to where the events of the game would fit, in regards to the films. :-? I wonder what else they have in store for us.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want this badly!
    My Nintendo Switch is now pre-ordered!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    New poster from Rockstar.

17499381_10155049190515097_7474882028858325882_n.png?oh=585e999f99525bf1a66202682f83e6d5&oe=59557A56&__gda__=1499083997_833c18e8e65b042b3901e0952d951e34
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    So it looks like a small group of 7 (a posse), being chased by a bigger band of law enforcement? Possibly the lone figure being a deserter from the posse?

If they're still using the "Redemption" name, it's got to be Marston involved, right? If this doesn't turn out to be a prequel after all this teasing and pussyfooting around, I'll be upset.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Anyone seen the beta gameplay of Friday The 13th?

That looks swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeet. If I can find a PS4 cheap enough, and depending on the single player aspect (that is the dealbreaker imo), i'm going to have to get it.
    Try this one.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I haven't looked into RDR2 as much as I'd like, but I've been under the assumption that it's a prequel involving Marston and his gang.

Then again, it's irrelevant who is in it and what it's about, as Rockstar is one of the very few companies I trust with day one purchases.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    While I'd like to see Marston in the old days with his gang being an outlaw, I'd like to see a completely different Red Dead game as an ultimate third entry with new characters and preferably a more filmsy plot like Revolver was.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I haven't looked into RDR2 as much as I'd like, but I've been under the assumption that it's a prequel involving Marston and his gang.

Then again, it's irrelevant who is in it and what it's about, as Rockstar is one of the very few companies I trust with day one purchases.

@Creasy47, everything seems to be pointing to that, what with all the talk of someone needing to run and never look back in the trailer. If it's a prequel to the first Redemption we may retroactively find out that what happened to John (or what he said happened) was all a lie. Maybe he was left to die during whatever robbery that was because the posse knew he wanted to take Abigail and Jack and run, or John made up that story to give himself an excuse for running away when the consequences for his actions became too much. In effect, the story could change all we thought we knew about John, or about how he got to where he is at the start of Redemption in Blackwater.

Rockstar could surprise us though, and we actually play as one of the main posse guys and Marston is a supporting character. I'd love to be him again though, knowing his story in his later years and after falling in love with how he was depicted. He's easily my favorite character of the video game medium next to Nathan Drake. Nobody writes characters like Rockstar with so much depth, contradiction and gradations of flaws: essentially how humans are.
    This news jazzed up my morning:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/3/15159886/spider-man-ps4-launch-window-marvel

I love the comment by Marvel's vice-president of games, and how he condemned the old practice of doing tie-in games with rushed schedules.

One of the best changes the gaming industry has had that offsets all the stupid season passes and other greedy practices is the fact that triple-A developers are now holding off on the old method of marketing where they'd tease their games five years ahead of release and disappear until the game finally arrived, with legions of delays in between. Now, things are very, very different.

Rockstar teased Redemption 2 at the start of the year and said, "Guess what, you're getting it this fall!" Similarly, Insomniac did a minor tease at E3 for Spider-Man PS4, and by the end of Q4 2017 we'll have that game in our hands too. These kinds of developer and publisher decisions make me proud of the industry because the creative people behind the titles get to work hard in silence on their games, then are able to announce them a year from release when they are certain they can get the experience into gamers' hands, doing away with delay announcements and all the other hang-ups. It's an approach to game design that respects the consumer, and I'm happy to see so many in the industry advocating and practicing it.

This Spider-Man game and Red Dead 2 are going to be my life when they hit in the coming months, and I can't wait!
    I wonder if there'd be an announcement of a future Splinter Cell release during E3 later this year.
    I wonder if there'd be an announcement of a future Splinter Cell release during E3 later this year.

I think Ubisoft will probably show something of the new Assassin's Creed during their conference, which I honestly couldn't care less about, but I'm not sure about Splinter Cell. Has there been rumblings that a new one is being worked on? After Blacklist it all went quiet, and without Michael Ironside attached I wouldn't have much interest in a future game.

I think Ubisoft will probably show something of the new Assassin's Creed during their conference, which I honestly couldn't care less about, but I'm not sure about Splinter Cell. Has there been rumblings that a new one is being worked on? After Blacklist it all went quiet, and without Michael Ironside attached I wouldn't have much interest in a future game.
    Never cared for Assassin's Creed ever myself. It has its fans and I wish them the best. Not up my alley in the slightest. But, I've been waiting for a future Splinter Cell installment, since Blacklist was of a satisfactory to me, essentially a bigger budget version of Alpha Protocol.

Oh and worry not about the voice-over for Sam Fisher. Michael Ironside is returning.
    @ClarkDevlin, I was big into the Creed games, especially Ezio's, but there has been so many and I quite frankly burned myself out on them after Syndicate, which was a disappointment. The new one is apparently set in Egypt and has new features and all that, but I just don't care.

After seeing backlash from their annual releases Ubisoft took a hard line approach to developing where they are now taking more time with their games, but after over a dozen annualized titles and a lot of good will lost, I'd say it's too little too late. This course correct should've happened a long time ago, and nobody is following the convoluted mess of a story at this point anyway.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Cannot wait for RDR2. I'm usually on the side on rather having a brand new story and characters but I do trust Rockstar with whatever direction they choose. As you mentioned though @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the idea of a prequel can really explore John's past with the gang and could go down all kinds of dark paths. The leaked 'map' and trailers/posters do suggest its going to be a prequel to me and I think you will get to play as John. Hopefully we get to see some more footage in the summer.
    @NSGW, if we get any peeks it'll be only through Rockstar's own channels. They don't do releases at E3 or any other kind of games conferences, preferring to control their content releases and promotions independently. I expect that summer will see another look at the game, possibly with more than just a teaser/trailer. There was a rumor of Rockstar releasing some gameplay of a shootout months back, but they pulled out at the last minute from doing that. So they seem to want to share more, when it's time.

I can't believe we're only 8 months away from this game.
    You know? As much as I heartily love those games, and I can safely say there's never been a video game with the Western genre that's as appealing as the Red Dead series so far, but my primary wish in life is to see a video game with original story and the feel of the old Italo-Westerns starring Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name, as well as putting Lee Van Cleef back in for another round as Col. Douglas Mortimer.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Yeah I think the shootout gameplay was supposedly pulled because of a nightclub shooting in the US that happened days before they planned on the unveiling. I still remember the amazing gameplay videos they released for RDR showcasing the different aspects of the game, hopefully they'll do something similar this time around too.

@ClarkDevlin That's one of my biggest wishes too. I do think RD games are very close to those films and clearly influenced by them in many ways. The interactions between John and Landon Ricketts always reminded me of the relationship between Eastwood and Van Cleef in For a Few Dollars More. Maybe RDR2 will get even closer if it does feature a younger John Marston who, in the beginning, may not have a family and is more of a 'Man With No Name' drifter.
    @NSGW, Rockstar will definitely release a lot of well produced mini movies to show off gameplay, in addition to the expansive new online mode they'll have for the multiplayer side of the game with untold depth to it.

If we do get a prequel, I think it will tell the story of John and how he was alone, then found a family he could identify with alongside Bill, Javier, Dutch and all the rest of the gang, then tell the story of how that family unit slowly began to crumble as their individual ideologies clashed.

It would work from a storytelling standpoint, as we know that following the death of his father at age 8 (his mother died during childbirth), John was sent to an orphanage where he stayed until he was in his teens. At that point he escaped, somehow came under Dutch's wing, and learned how to survive and be a man under his tutelage. He also met Abigail in the gang at this time, and began to fall in love with her.

So a RDR prequel that explored John's early years and how he was able to get sucked up into a life of crime could make him a more sympathetic character than ever. It would be a very emotional story to tell as John would slowly be driven against or separated from Dutch, essentially the only true father figure he ever had, and all the "brothers" he had in the gang for unspecified reasons. It would be a great way to get the context behind the man who we know he grows to be in RDR, and what led him to that stage in his life.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I can see Rockstar implementing all of those ideas and themes that could help add even more depth to the story of Marston and the gang. Although I'd forgotten that John was in an orphanage, when was it in the story that he explained those aspects of his past, with Bonnie Somerville perhaps?

Did you ever play Red Dead Revolver? I never did but going back and watching gameplay videos I wish I knew more about it at the time. As far as I know its not really connected to RDR and is more of a standalone adventure.
    NSGW wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I can see Rockstar implementing all of those ideas and themes that could help add even more depth to the story of Marston and the gang. Although I'd forgotten that John was in an orphanage, when was it in the story that he explained those aspects of his past, with Bonnie Somerville perhaps?

Did you ever play Red Dead Revolver? I never did but going back and watching gameplay videos I wish I knew more about it at the time. As far as I know its not really connected to RDR and is more of a standalone adventure.

@NSGW, John reveals little hints about his past across the whole game, spread out in travel dialogues, random comments to characters, etc. When taking his words together you get a great context for his life, but much is kept a mystery.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/John_Marston

We find out that his mother died while having him and that his father was a Scot drunkard who eventually got killed in a bar fight, an event that sent a young John to an orphanage. We know he then escaped years later, in his teens, but after that it's all a giant mystery. We don't know what drove him to Dutch/how they met, only that their posse was a sort of vagabond group of people who robbed from rich folk to give the money to those who needed it more. In a sense, Robin Hoods on the prairie who were motivated to aggressively pursue their cause. By the time John was around 32 in 1906 he was shot in a failed robbery and left for dead by all the posse, an event John himself admits to in the game. It was at this point that he then took his family and distanced himself from that life, going quiet.

The game could tell the story of John from the day his father died to his time in the posse, ending around the time that a now adult John, with a grown family, found himself leaving the group through the failed robbery. We'd be able to see all the characters we see in RDR as younger, more impressionable kids growing with John, and see how their brotherhood turned to the resentment and hate we see in their future reunions. A lot of backstory could be filled in here, connecting John's past to what we know of his future. A daughter of his is mentioned, but we find that she died between the time John nearly died and 1911, where the Bureau force him to help them track the gang. Maybe we could find out why?

Here's what I'd like to see:

I think that if the above is what the game will be, we will find that John had lied to many people who he told his life story to during RDR 1 in order to forgive himself for what he did in the gang and make himself feel like the good man he needed to be for his family. We could discover that Dutch's gang might have started out as a noble group with a noble cause, giving back to the poor and abandoned people of the west they identified with after their robberies, but over time the posse members got greedy and soon coveted money far more than being vigilante-like aides to the poor population they originally served. John would spot this change coming over time, and would feel disgusted for helping these men kill people and/or steal their property that they intended to only use for themselves. He would act out against Dutch, telling him he wanted out, but Dutch and the others would then threaten his family with death if he abandoned them. John would be in a tough spot, and not know what to do.

At some point in the game he would come into contact with a law enforcement agent, possibly a precursor to the bureau agents like Ross we meet in RDR 1, after John does something to get the law on his tail. He's brought in, unbeknownst to the gang, and questioned about his criminal past. During this discussion he would confess his crimes and state how scared he felt for his family while being around his gang members and the nasty lifestyle they lived, expressing he'd do anything to get them out. John would begin to find a confidante and friend in this bureau man he confesses to, who he trusts. The lawman offers John a deal, telling him that if John sets up the rest of the gang in a staged robbery where the posse can be wiped out by the feds, John and his family will receive their freedom, their records wiped away. Though it's hard for him, John then agrees to help the law bring in all the evil men he ran with and set up an ambush so his crooked brothers could be killed in the promise that he could finally retire quietly and keep his family safe, their arrangement honored.

The stage would be set for the fake robbery with all the agents in place to strike, but something bad would cause the plan to collapse, maybe involving one of the posse members realizing it was an ambush. As many of the posse get shot one by one, with some fleeing successfully (Dutch, Javier, Bill), John sees that Abigail has come along for the robbery too (forced to by Dutch), which he didn't expect. His heart beating out of his chest he races to her in an effort to save her, but is hit in the ensuing hoopla and gunfire exchange between the feds and gang, left bleeding out in the middle of the chaos. The posse members that leave then see John on the ground, with Abigail likely to die soon beside him in sacrifice. Basically, they depart the scene believing them dead.

The bureau would be upset with John at this point, because while most of the posse got killed, 3 of the gang got away, including Dutch, the big dog. John contends that he did their dirty work and had his brothers killed for his freedom, and was done negotiating with them. The bureau give him an ominous final word promising that men like John can't just up and act like good men after a life of killing and stealing, telling him he'd see his decision come back to haunt him. John gives his usual F#$k you in response, and leaves. In the week after, the feds circulate news to the press that mention the deaths of Abigail and John during the firefight with the law in order to trick the gang into thinking they're dead, all in the hopes that a new breed of law enforcement agents can track John and get him to kill the surviving gang members years after once Dutch, Bill and Javier have settled down and gotten complacent enough to surprise. Hearing that news of their deaths have circulated and that they'll be able to go to a quiet life, John takes Abigail, Jack and his daughter and disappears where he thinks the law can't find him, always looking behind his back.

If this happened in the game, the events would connect well to how RDR 1 began. John is seen working with Ross and the rest of the bureau to track down Dutch, Bill and Javier because they were able to locate him 5 years after the staged robbery failed, and forced him to help them one last time in order to finish the mission he couldn't the first time. John knows he can't outrun the past, and decides to help finally make his family safe, which was always his goal from the very beginning. The rest is history.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,467
    To those of you who are as excited about this as I am, 'Friday the 13th' will be released on consoles on May 26th, with the single-player component being released later in the year as a free add-on:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-26824-Friday-the-13th--The-Game-Dated-for-Late-May.html

Also, 'Call of Duty: World War 2' has been set as the next CoD installment, developed by Sledgehammer Games and to be released by the end of the year. A reveal is set for next week:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/21/call-of-duty-wwii-announced

I've had no more hope or optimism for the series for years now, but if they can dial it all back through this setting and focus on being the multiplayer juggernaut it once was, I may be interested once again. If not, count me out.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    You could always play the first 3 again. :wink:
    One can only hope this is the beginning of the end of the Call of Duty franchise.
    To those of you who are as excited about this as I am, 'Friday the 13th' will be released on consoles on May 26th, with the single-player component being released later in the year as a free add-on:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-26824-Friday-the-13th--The-Game-Dated-for-Late-May.html

I was under the impression that the single player campaign would get a separate physical release later in the Summer. If it's going to be available via download only, forget it.

I was under the impression that the single player campaign would get a separate physical release later in the Summer. If it's going to be available via download only, forget it.

That would be a major disappointment. My internet is so slow it would take me days to download the game. :(
    dalton wrote: »
    One can only hope this is the beginning of the end of the Call of Duty franchise.

With the gradually decreasing sales each go around, I think audiences are speaking with their wallets. And about time.

That's the world the industry is heading in. All digital, all the time. Cut back on physical releases, save time and money.
    dalton wrote: »

With the gradually decreasing sales each go around, I think audiences are speaking with their wallets. And about time.

That's the world the industry is heading in. All digital, all the time. Cut back on physical releases, save time and money.

And that is why I haven't moved onto 8th generation games.