Spy (2015)

Come on, this delightful, wunderful spy spoof -which actually isn't so much of a spoof, but foremost a very good comedy/thriller/film- deserves its own thread ;-):

1st full theatrical trailer:

2nd full theatrical trailer:

'red band' trailer (uncensored):

1st official US poster ("Skyfall-style"):
Spy_VerB_RatedPoster_CMYK.jpg

2nd official US poster ("Goldfinger"/"Devil's Double" style):
spy-poster.jpg

1st official international poster ("Classic 007 style")::
[img][/img]SPY_MondoPoster.jpg

cover original soundtrack (composed and conducted by Theodore Shapiro):
Spy-Song-JPEG-900-300x300.jpgSpy-Score-JPEG-900-300x300.jpg

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I enjoyed it immensely, and even more hesitant to confess I may even catch it twice in the theatre... #-o
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    A guilty pleasure, my dear fellow? Haha! You're not alone at that!
    I know we all talk about when will the new or next trailer will come out? But I am wondering now after seeing the posters above, when will we see a new official Spectre poster?
    Did anyone hear the theme song from "Spy"? Not the most original song, but by jolly, this Ivy Levan has got a voice to die for :-P!

Billion times already. First day they've uploaded the video. :D

The problem is, I couldn't get the song out of my head.

Theodore Shapiro, the composer of the score and theme song, actually did a damn good job.

Theodore Shapiro, the composer of the score and theme song, actually did a damn good job.
    Always been a fan of Shapiro, ever since he did the score for the brilliant Starsky & Hutch in 2003.
    By the way, I forgot to post a little review about "Spy". And in all honesty? I liked it. Perhaps that's because it's not just a cheap Bond spoof. It's more of a spy/comedy/thriller that borrows at times gracefully from (mostly) the Daniel Craig era of films. Paul Feig's collaboration with Melissa McCarthy is as good as the previous hit "The Heat". It's a film with heart and soul....and plentiful 'theme' interwoven in the plot.

Because this film is truly dedicated to women (I think Dame Judi Dench really should have a role in the next "Spy"-film!).

Clumsy funny women: Melissa McCarthy starts off as a desk-bound, rather clumsy version of Tanner, who gives the instructions via headpiece to CIA-spy Bradley Fine. Fine is off course the ridiculously suave spy, reminiscent of the Moore films. But it's nice to see her slowly flourish into quite the spy....with balls....and a lot of "F$ck" :-P. One of her last lines is: "There are plenty talented people working in the basement", and it's very true.

Authoritarian women: Allison Janney plays the head of the CIA. As the female "M" of Langley based intelligence agency, she's belittling Susan Cooper a lot, but it's delightful to see how she's changing her attitude towards the end of the film.

Villainous women: British actress Rose Byrne is delightful as the leading villain of the film. You can describe her as a more foul-mouthed version of Elektra King, with a dash of Le Chiffre. Tom Ford, who has a busy year at dressing the people at "SPECTRE" as well, also did the costumes for "Spy". And especially Boyanov -Rose Byrne- looks delightful in her Tom Ford wardrobes, combined with her slightly over-the-top coiffure.

Henchwomen: One of the delights of this film is the fight sequence between Susan Cooper and henchwoman Lia (played by Nargis Fakhri). It's entirely set in a kitchen. And one actually starts to think that without great fighting skills you could still bring down a woman who masters kung-fu :-P. Just.....use all the pans. Very effective, tense but also funny scene.

Women assistants: A nice small role for Miranda Hart here, who also gets to do some nice action. But, her role is more of the female Felix Leiter. Another CIA-spy, played by Morena Baccarin, is mostly pretty wallpaper, though it's nice to see her reveal as double-spy and see her being killed off.

And that's all about the women of this film. All the men however, are deliberately portrayed as rather dumb organisms who think more with their balls, then with their heads. I just mentioned the Moore-esque spy Bradley Fine, but in a similar way the Craig-esque spy Rick Ford is equally funny, and perhaps even funnier. He just keeps showing off his roughness and grittyness, to such an extend that it really makes you laugh. Ford is deliciously played by Jason Statham I might say.....and don't be surprised we could see him in a future Bond film.

But most importantly, this movie stands out because the plot is, simply put, very good. It basically all makes sense. And the killings in the film don't feel laughable. They actually make the story move forward in a pleasant way. And off course Melissa McCarthy's lines help with that as well.

Combined with great locations (Bulgaria, Rome -I think many streets were also used in "SPECTRE"-, Hungary) great production design (Lovely to see Boyanev enter this dusty old factory room, where Susan is off course tied up and about to get tortured) and wonderful costumes (Thank you Tom Ford), this is a great spy/comedy/thriller that is another great stepping stone towards the big finale: "SPECTRE". And sorry, "Spy" is not just a stepping stone ;-).
    PS: The main titles are off course very Bond-esque ;-).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It's certainly more of an homage to Bond in particular and spy films in general. It's not offensive, but is instead respectful and funny.

I think what caught many off guard about Kingsman, and why many dislike it, is because it almost seems to denigrate/bastardize the spy genre......it sort of meshes it with other more violent elements/concepts, and so comes across as an affront to some - kind of belligerent.

SPY was careful to tread lightly on the hallowed ground it was obviously emulating/imitating, while Kingsman appeared to spit in its eye.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's certainly more of an homage to Bond in particular and spy films in general. It's not offensive, but is instead respectful and funny.

I think what caught many off guard about Kingsman, and why many dislike it, is because it almost seems to denigrate/bastardize the spy genre......it sort of meshes it with other more violent elements/concepts, and so comes across as an affront to some - kind of belligerent.

SPY was careful to tread lightly on the hallowed ground it was obviously emulating/imitating, while Kingsman appeared to spit in its eye.

Hmmm, interesting view. I actually think both "Kingsman" and "Spy" are....simply put.....'good films'. Not just uncreative spoofs, but instead films that still are their own. I agree "Kingsman" feels more negative, in that it ridicules current Bond films. "Spy" is treating that aspect more positively. But I think both films are very good films.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Saw it this evening and loved it :-)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    bondjames wrote: »

This was my exact take away on both films. Spy was an affectionate tribute to Bond, and Kingsman not so much. Miller, Kingsman's comic book author was downright nasty in his comments. They were using Bond, and condescending to it at the same time. Didn't set right with me and probably contributed to my problems with the film.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    The movie is still holding quite well at the box office. And almost as succesful as "The Heat" :-).

I hope people liked my short review about the film, because I think it's a little bit more than just another Bond spoof.
    "Spy" is facing some very strong holdover at the US and international box office. With stiff competition from big ones like "Jurassic World", "Minions", "Inside Out", "San Andreas" and "Terminator: Genisys":

Currently, the global box office stands at:

$220,815,871 --> Global box office
    $104,401,823 --> US box office
    $116,414,048 --> Foreign box office

And "Spy" still needs to open in China. In the end "Spy" will be Melissa McCarthy's most succesful film, even surpassing "The Heat" in which she co-starred with Sandra Bullock.

A nice video:

Did anyone see the film already? Thoughts? Reviews?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I really enjoyed it.
    Don't you think 95% on RottenTomatoes isn't a bit excessive? Or....actually quite fitting?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Don't you think 95% on RottenTomatoes isn't a bit excessive? Or....actually quite fitting?
    Well, I wouldn't label it as a cinematic gem, however it met and surpassed it's goal to wet people's pants and make them belly laugh to the point of abdominal problems, so therefore I consider it to be a great night at the movies. Might get it on Dvd when it's released.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,438
    Dutch (France / Italian) Bluray release.

9200000043162039_1.jpg

Audio: English DTS-HD MA 7.1. France & Italian DD 5.1.
    Subs: English, France, Italian & Dutch/Nederlands.

Include both Theatrical Cut (120:06) Extended Cut (130:22) of the movie.

Extra's: Audiocommentary. Redacted Scenes (3:13) Classified Alternate Scenes (31:51) Top Secret Gag Reel (6:39) Extra Top Secret Behind the Scenes Gag Reel (3:43) Director of Intelligence Feig Makes the Cast Do His Bidding (8:53) Susan and Her Men (8:18) Super Villain Rayna Can't Keep It Together (5:05) Super Vermin (1:34) The Many Deaths of Anton (0:57) The Trouble With Covers (2:28) The Great Rick Ford (3:42) For Your Eyes Only: Jokes-a-Plenty (13:25) The Handsy World of Spies (1:52) Speaking Is an Art Form (1:57) Super Villains of the Animal World (2:19) How Spy Was Made: Paul Feig Alt P (11:08) Indecent Proposals from the Cast (3:04) Changing Statham (5:45) Stuntarama (13:26) In Da Klub (6:26) Susan's Disguises (4:31) Odd Couple on Set (4:50) No Go Gadgets (3:36). Gallery (2:33) Trailer (1:52)

It is possible the Gallery and Trailer are some kind of Easter Egg: Only avaible in English menu and mabey in France and Italian too, those are not credit in Dutch menu. This mean those are in English and not Dutch subtiteld and you should change your Bluray player settings in English, France or Italian (Like The A-team Bluray, where you must make those changes to make datastream/commentary track/ BD Live visible.).