Prospective Directors for Future Bond Films

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 65
Just curious, have the Bond production folks ever tried to land a top-flight director? No offense to Martin Campbell, Guy Hamilton, Terence Young and Peter Hunt and others, but some of today's most successful directors have expressed interest via the media. Have they ever tried to woo Christopher Nolan (loved snow sequence in Inception, hello OHMSS), Steven Spielberg (without Lucas please) or James Cameron or did they not bother, assuming their asking price would be extravagant?

I have no idea what to expect with Sam Mendes, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and the script sounds much better than QoS, per Craig himself.

Speaking of Bond 23, I heard it is product placement galore, accounting for approximately 40% of the film's budget. Hope it is not as bad as Buy Another Day.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think one of my favorite directors, Michael Mann, could make an extremely interesting, unique Bond film. Tony Scott would be good, as well, but a lot of people don't like the way he films.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Hi, mrnate8, welcome to the forums. :)

Good question there. As far as I know, the Bond producers' approach has never been to go after A-List directors - perhaps for two reasons. First, because such directors as Nolan and Spielberg (some of whom tend to be auteurs) would want more artistic control than the Bond people would be willing to give them. And, second, because, yes, they'd be too expensive.

You may or may not know that, around the time of the filming of GF, a young George Lucas and Steven Spielberg visited the original Bond producers Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman and certainly one or either of them expressed an interest in directing a Bond early on in their careers. Just the last few weeks, however, as if to underline my above point, Spielberg publicly stated that the Bond people wouldn't be able to afford him now if ever they approached him as a potential helmer.

As to the (still) very early noises we're hearing about Bond 23 - and especially its script - I agree things sound good. The proof as always, of course, will be in the pudding. And product placement? Well, big budget Hollywood films are obviously very expensive and probably only getting more and more costly. They've got to be paid for somehow, I guess... ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Broccoli and Wilson have always said they go for a real "filmmaker", someone who can get their head around Bond, as it's its own genre and has such a long history attached to it. Nolan, Spielberg and Cameron have already made it big, EON go for up and coming directors who seem to a footing with some kind of story, drama and action - not just special effects and big blockbusters. So no, EON have never and will never, at least for now I'd guess, go there.

I think Mendes could prove to be a very good choice as he seems to get story and character looking at his past films, plus he's read all the novels like Craig so that gives me faith about him being able to take Bond in the new "full Bond" direction. The action I'm not to sure on but he's got one hell of a crew (and maybe cast) behind him so the potential is there for one of the best in ages. As for the product placement issue, that shouldn't be any worse than the most recent films - which is bad enough in my opinion.

I've no idea who I'd pick for future films, mind. If Mendes does well enough maybe he'll except the offer to return. That would be nice for a change.
  • I think the problem with QoS was that they gave the director a little bit *too* much leeway...it would have been better if the producers kept a tighter reign on the production.

23rd film now, they must certainly know what they're doing...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    David Yates
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2011 Posts: 9,117
    Both Tarantino and Nolan have expressed interest, as Spielberg did in the past and as far as I know EON never even picked up the phone which shows a either gross incompetence or monumental arrogance.
    Danny Boyle would get my vote - someone with a bit of visual flair - as for film after film we are bereft of people who can shoot something with a bit of imagination. Apart from Martin Campbells crane shot as Bond stands atop the dam you have to go back to Peter Hunts helicopters at dawn for a shot that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
    Its an anomaly in the film world that Bond is one of the biggest franchises out there, yet all they ever hire is jorneymen directors. Presumably Babs is the Mike Ashley of Hollywood and wants to keep as much of the cash in her pockets as possible.
    Reviews for Sam Mendes' seem positive to date, some even claiming as best ever. Perhaps it's time for the producers to hire more credible directors versus the up and coming ones. The only challenge though is topping the recent one. Would love to see Mendes return for another or see Nolan in chair, but the ceiling would be so high. Your thoughts?
    I also wasn't surprised to hear the producers' control freak comments during 60 Minutes. Then again, it was the same folks that almost killed off 007 with DAD. Thank gosh for CR.
    Here's an interesting quote from Barbara on Spielberg directing a Bond film. Same thing we've heard before, but it's still pretty interesting:

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-trivia-a-connection-to-argo-why-he-hasnt-directed-a-james-bond-film-and-more/#more-143621
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Spielberg isn't the same man he once was IMO. Not that he's terrible, he's still better than most directors when he's at his worst or better yet mediocre but he just doesn't have that same magical flare he once had IMO.
  • Is anyone against Tarantino for directing a Bond movie? I have never been much of a fan of his films with the exception for a slight nod for the Kill Bill series.

Spielberg also recently made a comment via the press during the promotion of his new Lincoln movie. I agree his reputation isn't as strong as it once was.
    mrnate8 wrote:
    Is anyone against Tarantino for directing a Bond movie? I have never been much of a fan of his films with the exception for a slight nod for the Kill Bill series.

I enjoy his work but don't think he could ever do a Bond film, his style wouldn't work at all.
    Spielberg as Bond's director is fine by me. as long as it's the Spielberg who directed Jaws Schindler's list and Raiders of the Lost Ark
    This discussion was started earlier (I think) but the one linked has a lengthier conversation. Mods decide:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1468/what-directors-would-you-like-to-see-helm-a-bond-film-or-more/p8#Item_228
  • I was just about to say, there is already an existing thread for this debate

'Who should direct a Bond film', which was well underway last I looked
    Ruben Fleischer - director of 'Zombieland' and 'Gangster Squad' - was talking about directing the upcoming 'Spy Hunter,' and he stated that if he could direct any film, it would be a James Bond movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100367