Netflix's Daredevil Series (2015-Present) *Fear the Spoilers*

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited April 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 28,694
Like many viewers, I was impressed by the original Netflix drama Daredevil, and thought it'd be nice to discuss its themes, plot points, twists and turns with the rest of you, as I know many here like these kinds of shows.

To kick off discussions, what's everyone's thoughts on the full first season? Did it keep you guessing? What moments stopped your heart? What characters did you love, and which did you despise? What's your favorite episode/least favorite episode? What do you think the high and low points of the season were, and what do you hope is ahead in season two and beyond?

I'm interested to see where discussions go. And, as I said in the title of the thread, this is a spoiler-heavy discussion, so if you haven't see the full thirteen episodes, don't read any further. This is a show I'd recommend to anyone and I don't want any part of it spoiled for those who wish to experienced it fresh.

Comments

• I just did a random search here with "Daredevil" and it surprised me no one answered this thread! I watched the show the day it was released and I'm still obsessed with everything about it. I've been pretty disappointed with Marvel overall but... They saved MCU!Matt! When I was finished, I started reading everything I could from the comics (currently reading the vol. 2).

Well, I'm just going to answer your questions one-by-one.

What's everyone's thoughts on the full first season? Did it keep you guessing?

I knew the basics about what made Matt Murdock who he is and I've seen 2003 Daredevil a couple of times but that's it. It definitely kept me guessing. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I finished exactly one day after, satisfied and aching for more. The show was the most delicious slow burn and it's refreshing how they foccused on developing not only their personalities, but the surrealism of their situations with real feelings.

What moments stopped your heart?

Hallway scene almost made me cry; Nelson vs. Murdock, the whole episode; Karen killing Wesley; Nobu vs. Daredevil (I'm so glad we got flashes from the fight - the whole thing nonstop would have killed me); Pre-teen Wilson Fisk killing his father; Adult Wilson Fisk killing Ben (WHY WOULD YOU KILL BEN URICH :/).

What characters did you love, and which did you despise?

To be honest, I love everyone in Matt's life including his enemies. My favorite surprises: Claire, Ben (!!!!) and Wesley.
    Stick is an asshole, though.

What's your favorite episode/least favorite episode?

My favorite is Nelson vs. Murdock. Matt and Foggy's friendship is one of a kind.
    My least favorite is Stick. Nothing wrong with that one, I just don't like Stick. Still, the little we saw of The Chaste was cool enough.

What do you think the high and low points of the season were, and what do you hope is ahead in season two and beyond?

I think the show was consistent enough and didn't really have low points, but I hated how they killed Ben Urich when he's so important to Matt in the comics. Also, they killed The Owl before he had a chance to fly? :D I know he's kinda lame, but...

Okay. Expectations for season 2...! They just cast the beautiful and unknown Élodie Yung for Elektra and I'm sooooo excited. I hope Matt kicks Frank Castle's ass out of the planet. More Karen/Foggy/Matt interactions. Nhf Matt and Karen romance, though. Now with Elektra, I need to know more about The Hand. Beyond? Vanessa Fisk as the new Kingpin would be amazing.

Now, I hope to be this excited when I watch Spectre in a few months. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Milton Reid was the inspiration for Kingpin when Frank Miller was in charge of Daredevil in the 80s comics. A Bond connection for you.

And Robert Redford as Matt Murdock.
    I've just sumbled upon this thread and I'm surprised that there's not more folk adding their comments here. Having watched both Season 1 and 2 of Daredevil, I can say, hand on heart, it's the best superhero adaption to screen I've ever seen. It's violent, brutal and so well-made it makes me wonder how much this cost to make. For me, that fight on the stairwell against those The Dogs of Hell Biker Gang members (S2) outdid anything in Nolan's three Batman movies. I think this series is so well written, acted and directed that it's hard to find fault in it. A special mention has to go to Jon Bernthal as The Punisher.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am on season 2 now, and it makes me want to check out the Punisher series at some time.