Comments

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    It was on the Dutch news website as well. Since when do actors have anything to say about product placement?
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited April 2015 Posts: 630
    EDIT
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How very odd. The producers can decide that the film will be shot in Mexico simply because the government there is putting its hand in its pocket but suddenly give creative control over to the actors for something like this?

Where has Dan's right of veto been for the last 3 films with Sony products at every juncture, not to mention the shocking Ford (hardly the best money can buy) commercial in the middle of CR? And where were Mendes principles when we had the infamous 5 minute Omega changing gear shot in SF?

Or once you hit the billion dollar mark is there a clause in your contract that means you can now have a say in all these things and the producers have to listen to you?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Or once you hit the billion dollar mark is there a clause in your contract that means you can now have a say in all these things and the producers have to listen to you?

I suspect it's something along these lines, not so much a change in his contract but rather money talks, and he's done his part to right the ship as it were, so he gets more of a say.....along with perhaps his apparent increasing creative control over Bond projects these days.

I agree about the Fords.
    The article really miss a piece. There is more inthere
    Shouldn't this be in the leaks thread? There's a danger that more threads regarding different aspects of the leaks start popping up now the emails and documents are searchable on wikileaks.

I can see a lot coming out as the media search through everything and it should all be in one place, with danger of unwanted information being discussed.
  • Plus, Business Insider is mixing two very different things here. The core of the paper is wrong. I can tell that for sure, since I have the same source as they have :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have a Sony phone, and I drink Heineken. I feel like James Bond. Except for the killing.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I have a Sony phone, and I drink Heineken. I feel like James Bond. Except for the killing.

Huh, didn't know you drank warm... *mi6 mods aiming their guns at me a la "Goldeneye" tanker room*

... Warm bodily fluids which particularly happen to be a yellowish hue.
    Any bodily fluids, really.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    clint_ew.gif
  • I think Business Insider didn't go deeply enough into the emails. Craig was paid $5 million by Sony in Skyfall. Sony was looking for a way to get its smartphone in SPECTRE without paying Craig the $5 million, possibly having Q use the phone.
    clint_ew.gif
    Which fluid is that, Mr. Eastwood? Is it cocoa from Nestle?
    A spy like Bond would most likely use a Blackberry for the security - they have contracts with several governments and agencies - or the iPhone.
    He will use Sony phone. Period. Just search more

Make sure you search on a Sony, they are the best.

Make sure you search on a Sony, they are the best.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I think Business Insider didn't go deeply enough into the emails. Craig was paid $5 million by Sony in Skyfall. Sony was looking for a way to get its smartphone in SPECTRE without paying Craig the $5 million, possibly having Q use the phone.

I think you're mixing with the Sony *ads*, not the movies. They would not ask to re-write the movie so that it's Q who is using the phone, not Bond. They were planning a few months ago to have Ben Wishaw in the Sony ads around the release of SP, and no more Craig like for the previous ones.
  • The email was in October when the movie was still being rewritten.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,115
    But maybe you're right. Y'all judge for yourselves.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/133657

• edited April 2015 Posts: 2,115
    Separately, Sony wasn't happy about Samsung making Eon an offer.:

"I will call you Monday morning your time, but here are my thoughts. Legally EON is required to negotiate with us first and is not permitted to take offers from any other party. I believe that the Samsung offer was unsolicited but cannot be certain of this. "

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/122734
    Free to Alec Trevelyan's words: Can't Julián Assange be a good boy and DIE?!?!
    Free to Alec Trevelyan's words: Can't Julián Assange be a good boy and DIE?!?!
    Bit much...

• But maybe you're right. Y'all judge for yourselves.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/133657

Well to me it means :

Before :
    "We never paid anything to have Bond uses a Sony phone in the movies, but we committed to run a multimillion campaign advertising our phone and Bond. We paid $5M Craig to be in the ads"

Now :
    "Barbara wants money now. Well, let's give her the $4M she wants as a product placement fee, and we'll make the ads with Ben Wishaw instead of Craig, we'll give Wishaw only $1M.. or less !"

We'll see if the next Sony Bond ads (the night break-in, the slow mo explosion) has Craig or Wishaw...

Search "Bond Placement", pick the first result and there you are.
    This is just petty...
    3. We will provide needed electronics and phones for placement …no other identifiable brands can show up in the film. If non-Sony electronics has to be used (i.e. older products), the competitive logo must be blurred out, no identifiable trade dress products.

Because that wouldn't look odd on screen - random blurs on technology. They can't expect only one technological brand in the Bond universe.

Another email has Amy Pascal saying that (and I'm paraphrasing) "Bond 24 is our last film, but I can't see why they won't have us back, no other studio would give them the creative control that we do" - she was saying that Sony were basically "silent partners" who didn't force anything on EON. Hmmm.
    I am wondering what would be the best choice for Bond as Craig and Mendes rejected the Sony phone saying that it is not not the best choice for 007. I have also read that the reason why Craig rejected the product placement of Sony is because the offer of Samsung .. Is that true ?? it is mentioned here http://jbsuits.com/blog/daniel-craig-turned-5-million-product-placement-deal-of-sony-phone/
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Alexedward wrote: »
    I am wondering what would be the best choice for Bond
    I'd say as a personal phone it'd be an iPhone and professionally he'd use a Blackberry (the preferred phone of governments for security)